What You've Done Today - But you… have elected… the way of… pain!

Amentep

Apparently having fast fiber 'net makes uploading to YouTube a faster than light process. I remember when it would take 15-20+ minutes to upload 100MB videos or whatever. Now it's 2GB in like mere seconds. Thankfully the house we bought also has ATT fiber available. Going back to "low speed" after you're used to uber would be stone knives and bearskins.

One day I may have to be moved into a "retirement" hospital care place and I will complain endlessly about their terrible wi-fi until the nurses get fed up and take all my toys away.

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

HOLY F--K it is COLD here. Below freezing in October? Not used to THAT!

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

56 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It was in the 90s here yesterday.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

It was in the 90s here yesterday.

I’m not home. I’m in WI. Hurlshot was right!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I hope you played lots of chess!

Hide contents

8c3681fd-f240-4957-b2f4-a08e7c757755_tex

She’s at work now. I’m being a bum watching TV on her couch. But she will be home shortly I’ll have lunch ready and some creative ideas on how we spend our time this afternoon!

• Gasp! 1

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

ah, am recalling the salad days, back when gd didn't "worry much about the weather."

that was like, two weeks ago, yes?

you may wanna ignore the weather, but the weather won't ignore you.

come late november or early december, no doubt gd will chivalrous offer to dig out his companion's driveway after overnight snow drops a couple feet o' nice wet and heavy accumulation. the first time you need do such, it may even seem fun. maybe consider an early christmas present... for her of course. 

south-west wisconsin has some beautiful hill country and even a few nice ski resorts. not exactly pittsburgh, but hills is hills. 

first time you hit black ice and you watch helpless as the back end o' your car/truck is sudden leading the way down a hill or 'round a turn won't worry gd none.

and its only october, not even halloween. wait for valentine's day.

might wanna suggest meeting halfway in the future. sedona is halfway 'tween tennessee and wisconsin, yes? just need fold the map exact right. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I’m not home. I’m in WI. Hurlshot was right!

Have you invested in a good pair of boots ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I hear it was shot in Wisconsin...

Ice Age: The Meltdown Movie: Scene #1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

/Jealous

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

I hear it was shot in Wisconsin...

Ice Age: The Meltdown Movie: Scene #1

image reminds us o' important advice for gd if he ever wants to fit in with the wisconsin locals: learn nuances o' and pretend to enjoy the perverse leisure activity known as ice fishing. 

is a special kinda stoopid required to ice fish for fun.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I’d bet Azdeus, Malc and the other guys from the real north get a chuckle out of me saying slightly below freezing was cold. But dammit I’m from the south I’m not acclimated to that kind of nonsense! Especially not so early in the year.

Hoping I can take G & B out to dinner tonight. Have to go home tomorrow. There are some documents coming to my house via Fed Ex on Friday and I need to be there to get them. Lots of good stuff going on at once. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

Thomas Sowell

57 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I’d bet Azdeus, Malc and the other guys from the real north get a chuckle out of me saying slightly below freezing was cold. But dammit I’m from the south I’m not acclimated to that kind of nonsense! Especially not so early in the year.

Hoping I can take G & B out to dinner tonight. Have to go home tomorrow. There are some documents coming to my house via Fed Ex on Friday and I need to be there to get them. Lots of good stuff going on at once. 

To be fair, where I live here in Sweden it really rarely gets really cold, though when it does I'm on cloud nine! That said, when people from further up north come down here they typically freeze way before I do since the combination of humidity and cold makes it very "raw". So far we've had a night, maybe to when the temp has been around 0. The next week is forecast as around 10C day and night. 😭

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Temps are why California is perfect for someone like me. Live in the fairly temperate zones, but have almost every climate/environment within short or at most half a day driving distance. Because there are tons of environments I love to visit for a day or two, but utterly refuse to live in.  😛

Especially as I age and seem to feel extremes in either direction more and more. Irritating.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm perfectly happy here in Queensland. Sure it's halfway like living in the Outback, at the edge of civilization and the population has a disproportionate number of Bogans... but the weather? 10-20C in the winter and 20-30C (night and day) in the summer. I can relate to lizards and how wonderful it is to just bask in the sun on a rock.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One thing I'm really jealous of you Americans for is your weather, I really love extreme weather, I would love to see things like tornadoes!

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

One thing I'm really jealous of you Americans for is your weather, I really love extreme weather, I would love to see things like tornadoes!

LOL no you wouldn't!

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL no you wouldn't!

Seeing them is awesome. Having yourself, your home, all your worldly possessions, your livelihood, your family, and a good deal of your friends all possibly being directly in their path is not so awesome, and you kind of lose your appreciation of their beauty and awesome power when you're mentally, emotionally, and physically preoccupied with those precise risks in actual real situations. I'm personally more about the rain and lightning than the tornadoes.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL no you wouldn't!

Not live in the path of one, ofcourse, but see from a respectable distance? Yes. All I can do though is binge Pecos Hank, Reed Timmer and Severe weather australia on youtube. :)

• Haha 1

There is always that fun quote "England is a country where we have weather. Other countries get to have a climate."

Not to be taken too seriously, but the sheer variety and mercurial nature of weather on this isle is a key reason to why the cliche of Brit's talking about the weather is such a big thing.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Getting gas and coffee (not in that order) and heading south. I took G & B out to dinner last night and it was fun. B seems to like me now so that means things are going well with G. I am quite certain of that already anyway LOL. 

I hate this drive. It’s only a four hour flight but you can’t go direct. you have to change planes in Minneapolis or Madison. Plus I think 11 hours driving in my truck listening to the radio is preferable to four hours in a flying can next to other humans ugh. 

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

She'll still break your legs if you hurt her mum.

And then, to have a true vendetta I'll have to virtually break Bruce's legs in retaliation (since she isn't on the forum here, he'd be the next best proxy target, what with his name starting with a B).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

20 hours ago, Raithe said:

There is always that fun quote "England is a country where we have weather. Other countries get to have a climate."

Not to be taken too seriously, but the sheer variety and mercurial nature of weather on this isle is a key reason to why the cliche of Brit's talking about the weather is such a big thing.

It's not too different here really, the weather is unstable enough that 2 day forecasts has 75% accuracy and 50% at three days.

20 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Getting gas and coffee (not in that order) and heading south. I took G & B out to dinner last night and it was fun. B seems to like me now so that means things are going well with G. I am quite certain of that already anyway LOL. 

I hate this drive. It’s only a four hour flight but you can’t go direct. you have to change planes in Minneapolis or Madison. Plus I think 11 hours driving in my truck listening to the radio is preferable to four hours in a flying can next to other humans ugh. 

As a bonus, driving means a radically lower risk of getting the virus aswell 👍

• Like 1

am not sure why sacramento valley tv news stations bother to pay for a weather personality from mid-june through late september. how many ways is there to describe a hot and dry forecast? having lived in the dakotas, chicago, western ny and a couple other places with crazy weather, one might expect we would be thankful for the predictability o' central ca weather, but you would be wrong. summers are long, hot and in recent years the wildfires have affected air quality to a degree such that outdoor activities is literal unhealthy/hazardous for months. 

mercurial is underrated if the alternative is monotonous horrible. sacramento, ca summers and williston, nd winters has been the worst kinda monotonous we has experienced... and am thanking the good lord we only had to spend two winters in williston.  not as much snow as you might imagine in williston. arid. have also been in places colder than williston, hard as that may be to imagine, but the wind... am literal recalling weeks o' -70F temperatures when adjusted for wind-chill. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Achieved something great today, actually lost consciousness during a stand up call. 

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra