What You've Done Today - But you… have elected… the way of… pain!

Amentep

17 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Yep! I do this too. 👍 The deli is the wildcard. Sometimes I walk right to the front, sometimes its 5 people deep.

I have never ordered groceries to be delivered, I like the social interaction when you go to malls or supermarkets. Even during the pandemic that social connection was appreciated 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

GD something just occurred to me, I thought you and Gail didnt drink anymore? And dont get me wrong, I absolutely support normal drinking and I dont think anyone needs to abuse alcohol when you drink it recreationally...it can be such a  nice mood setter and nothing better than watching some exciting sports game at a bar or at home and having a few drinks or a romantic evening like you had

So does this mean you drinking again but in moderation which if you asked me I would say its a good idea 🍻

LOL no. Two glasses of champagne each in the context of the evening it’s not what I would call drinking. That’s actually the first alcohol I’ve had in… I guess a year. May be a bit longer I don’t remember exactly when I stopped. i’m in pretty good shape. Not just for my age but for any age. I’m 6 foot four and I weigh 215 pounds. Just a bit under 2 m tall and 98 kg give or take. So when I went to the doctor last year I found out I was pre-diabetic. Well I eat very little in the way of carbohydrates. My biggest sugar intake was whiskey. And that made me realize I was drinking quite a bit of it. It’s not healthy. It was making me unhealthy. Plus my self-control was not all that could be desired. So I just cut it out. My A-1 C is back to normal and I’ve lost 20 pounds.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Back in my crib, sippin' on the bubbles, chillin' in my pool, doin' time with my models
Bitches in the tube in oil and lube, it's the D-51 with aluminum tubes

Erm. Perhaps not. Currenty looks an awful lot like work, i.e. rolling out a new production server.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

*plays a game* "Hm volume is a little low, let me turn that up."  *Turn game off, sit in darkened, silent room for a minute*
"...maybe I'll watch some TV." 

scaredcat2.jpg

...I swear, even after years, it gets me every single time.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm really amused by the folder names we've used for rollouts.

"Veryveryawesomesetupfiles"

"Sadlynolongerveryawesomesetupfiles"

"Stupidupdatefiles"

"Exceptionallyawesomefonts"

I guess we're exceptionally professional, huh? :p

• Like 1

8 hours ago, majestic said:

I guess we're exceptionally professional, huh? :p

Microsoft engineers are not without humour. An older version of their ERP software had something called Analysis Views. And a table to store the entries that made up the views. Of course they had to name that table AnalViewEntry… hard not to giggle immaturely when working with those objects (the provided functions being plays on AnalView)

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Our codebase has a lot of typos, odd as UK developers wrote it all. I added something, failed to compile only for me to realize the variable was not thisHierarchy but it was thisHirarchey

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A while back a friend of our family was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It is too large and located too close to the aorta to be operable, so he underwent a rather long and hefty chemo therapy to bring the size down.

Or at least, that's what he told us. Turns out that wasn't the entire truth, not only is the tumor in its current state inoperable and the chemo did nothing to reduce its size, it had already metastasized and spread to his lungs. They're now changing the treatment approach to - again - try to reduce the size of the tumor to make it operable. The lung cancer is currently in remission, so that's at least  something, I guess.

It's not much though. The five year survival rate of cases like that is... zero, or near enough to make no real difference for anything but the faintest of hopes for a miracle, and between you and me guys, I haven't seen one of those ever since I stopped believing in Santa and the Tooth Fairy, and that was a long, long time ago. :(

Edited by majestic
  • Sad 9

Sorry to hear that, majestic

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sorry to hear that for both of you. My wife has had an injured pancreas for about 8 years now. She has to take enzymes to keep it working with every bite of food she takes. But that is better than being diabetic and trying to survive without it. Pancreases are so bizarre.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Cancer sucks. Sorry about your friend Majestic

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

10 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

@ShadySandshow has your little guy been doing?

He's good... well, he's healthy. Good is another matter. He has to take a steroid twice a day for 6 months but that's all for longish term stuff as thankfully no asthma.

In other health related news, my uncle who fell and was about to be sent to hospice is coming home today after a miraculous recovery. Now we just have to see if he falls back into a bottle or decides to do something with his second chance.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Work hired a replacement for my previous position since it looks like I'll probably go from a loan to a fixture on the new team. And while I think things are going well it's still somewhat unsettling to know it might be harder to switch back if that isn't the case since they've effectively hired someone to take over. But I've still got at least a year before anything would change so hiring someone was probably a good call regardless (I'm filling-in for someone who got deployed and, honestly, I'd rather stay with the new group so I'm hoping this does become permanent).

• Thanks 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Sitting at my kitchen table drinking coffee. Going to be very, very, busy for the next few days. I rented a new storage unit in Dyersburg. Larger, air-conditioned place. More expensive and with better security. I rented a truck from them for two days and I’m going to move all the crap in the one in Covington up there. That’s the plan for today. Tomorrow is really going to suck though. I’m going to have to start packing up things in my house and moving them to the storage unit. The gun safe is the thing I dread the most. It weighs 400 pounds empty.

Thomas Sowell

42 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Sitting at my kitchen table drinking coffee. Going to be very, very, busy for the next few days. I rented a new storage unit in Dyersburg. Larger, air-conditioned place. More expensive and with better security. I rented a truck from them for two days and I’m going to move all the crap in the one in Covington up there. That’s the plan for today. Tomorrow is really going to suck though. I’m going to have to start packing up things in my house and moving them to the storage unit. The gun safe is the thing I dread the most. It weighs 400 pounds empty.

Rent a portable forklift and it should make things much easier, unless it's on the second floor.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 10/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, Guard Dog said:

LOL no. Two glasses of champagne each in the context of the evening it’s not what I would call drinking. That’s actually the first alcohol I’ve had in… I guess a year. May be a bit longer I don’t remember exactly when I stopped. i’m in pretty good shape. Not just for my age but for any age. I’m 6 foot four and I weigh 215 pounds. Just a bit under 2 m tall and 98 kg give or take. So when I went to the doctor last year I found out I was pre-diabetic. Well I eat very little in the way of carbohydrates. My biggest sugar intake was whiskey. And that made me realize I was drinking quite a bit of it. It’s not healthy. It was making me unhealthy. Plus my self-control was not all that could be desired. So I just cut it out. My A-1 C is back to normal and I’ve lost 20 pounds.

So we're the same height then, 193cms, though I weigh roughly 15kg more, not that anyone that sees me believes it. I do believe @Pidesco would back that up 🤔

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

So we're the same height then, 193cms, though I weigh roughly 15kg more, not that anyone that sees me believes it. I do believe @Pidesco would back that up 🤔

So we’re the same height and build but you’re “packing” an extra 15k "somewhere"! 😉

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

Seriously worn out after yesterday’s activities. Today is going to be even worse. Oh well. Putting it off won’t make it easier. Times like this is when I wish I had kids LOL

Thomas Sowell

29 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Seriously worn out after yesterday’s activities. Today is going to be even worse. Oh well. Putting it off won’t make it easier. Times like this is when I wish I had kids LOL

Hah, you've clearly never moved with kids. It just means more stuff and having to repack everything the kids pack because they don't listen to you. 

Although I do dig that my daughter can help me move the big stuff now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tried attending some agile cult meeting, they wanted us to develop an Epic to extract a man from under a burning car. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Survived the Con. Got back home midday and semi-sprawled, went for the cup of tea, then settled back into that pre-interview analysis and presentation building.

After a two year break, it was good to see the MCM London ComicCon back in action and all the vibes that went with it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."