What You've Done Today - But you… have elected… the way of… pain!

Amentep

So sorry to hear that KP.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My condolences KP.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I just got back from the doctors, they placed a local anesthetic in the tendon sheath, and it did absolutely nothing worth mentioning, so no point in cortisone either. Likelyhood of having to live with insane pain in my right arm is very high now.

Edited by Azdeus
spelling
  • Gasp! 2
  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Found out I've been shortlisted for an interview in a couple of weeks, but I need to prepare a 10 minute presentation on any random data set I want to use.

So now I have to find some open source data set I might find interesting for playing with.

On other notes, I'm thinking I should have looked further for fabric glues than the one that turned out to have a 48 hour cure time...

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

5 hours ago, Raithe said:

Found out I've been shortlisted for an interview in a couple of weeks, but I need to prepare a 10 minute presentation on any random data set I want to use.

So now I have to find some open source data set I might find interesting for playing with.

On other notes, I'm thinking I should have looked further for fabric glues than the one that turned out to have a 48 hour cure time...

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Going to be very busy in the near future. Lots of things happening at once. And maybe some big changes. I can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Going to be very busy in the near future. Lots of things happening at once. And maybe some big changes. I can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

6 hours ago, Raithe said:

Good luck!

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

We just got home. My general viewpoint of the Sac. area we were scouting is ... well, it's very sprawl suburban. Some areas look "rich" and nice, lots of side trees, some were more moderate, and ofc some sketchier areas, but in general it felt like nothing but clusters of homes separated by main roads, with said roads having strip malls for miles. Dull to look at, very same-y looking most of the time, nothing likely would interest me locally outside of any farther away downtown events. That said, the housing clusters are pleasant enough.

Did see/find one house (the real estate agent we got/met was very nice/efficient, I liked him) that would totally be an "us" house. Backyard was a little small (not that I care, that's more hubby's thing) but it wouldn't matter since it would basically be a 5 min. walk from the front door to the American River/the huge main bicycle/walking/general parkway that borders it. A huge place to walkabout etc. and you don't have to take care of it yourself! No backyard neighbor, either.  Hmm. 

20211008_130736a.jpg

Still undecided whether I really want to do it tho. But whether that house or a similar one we could us living there. I mean, all I do is stay at home anyway. But...hm.  Just dunno. If we lived up there and rented the bay area house we'd probably come out 1k a month ahead and have the BA house paid off even faster. But I hate moving! lol.  🤔

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

the american river is fed directly by folsom lake and is controlled by dams.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We are in another big longer-term drought, but what with all the covid it's hardly in the news or on anyone's minds.
And of course the issue that Calif. has too many people (and companies) trying to make an oasis of production out of deserts, diverting water from everywhere. Every time I see a golf course (and then another one, and another one, all fairly close to each other) or anything similar, I frown.

Only time I was "on" the American River was from further East, doing a noob white water rafting trip with my brother and other noobs. That was pretty fun. At least I didn't fall out of the raft. Sometimes sitting on the edge of those things, it feels like you're going to just fly right off. And that was on easy stuff.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After everything the happened over the last month and a half I didn't keep up with the garden.  Most of it was claimed by weeds/lack of irrigation. But the pumpkins did well and I got 21 well formed and medium to large pumpkins out of them. I cut them all yesterday, loaded them in the truck, and donated them to the Baptist Church in Covington for the kids to carve today. I was talking to the pastor who I've become friends with. He's a nice fella but then I've never met a pastor who was an a----e. He invited me to come to the carving after services today for lunch and what sounds like a good time. I declined. I'm a religious man in my own way. But I've become so introverted and anti-social in my old age that a gathering like that sounds.... ugh no thank you. 

I've spoken, texted or zoomed with G almost every day. Often more than one per day. I can't wait to see her Saturday Morning. Long distance dating sucks. That is definitely something I want to talk to her about next week.  I've got some ideas about what a future with her might look like but I don't know how she feels about it. I'm always worried about "moving too fast" but at the same time, we're not kids. We're both over 50 and have "been around the block" and know how relationships work and how to make them work. So it really comes down to what we each want. I was thinking about what Shady & Hurlshot said. I'm willing to go "all in" and start a life there with her if she is.  We're not there yet but if that is what it takes I've decided I'm willing to push all my chips to the center of the table for her. I feel good about this one. But I felt good about Stephanie too.  The thing that is both good and terrible about having your heart broken is it makes you wary. 

Speaking of Stephanie she called me Friday night. I wondered if she would. She actually sent me a friend request on FB but I use it so infrequently I didn't even know. This board and a few others like the home improvement forums on Reddit are about the entirety of my "social media". We chit chatted for about 30 minutes. She asked how things are going with G. Made it a point to tell me she wasn't seeing anyone but didn't go beyond that. I'm really not sure what she wants or if she even wants anything. But I'm very wary about telling her much. I can't get a read on her. My first thought was she wanted to soothe her conscience by building a friendly relationship with me after such a bad parting and three years of passively hostile no contact. That may be all it is. I thought I knew her but she is the one who really taught me no one can really know anyone. 

I've been doing lots of work around the house lately. Catching up on projects I've postponed. I've deiced to get rid of some of the junk I've accumulated.  I even decided to sell some of my firearms. I signed up with gunbrokers.com to use their service. They take care of all the legalities and documentation and keeps the transaction clean and legal. It is a worry that a firearm you owned is used for something terrible down the road. That's one of the reasons I never sell them. But I do need to keep my personal belongings a little leaner and easier to move if I decide to do that. 

• Like 6

Thomas Sowell

Took a general pause from things today, and put my focus on something different.

The fruits and spices have been soaking in the brandy for the last week or so, so it was time to mix up the rest of the christmas cake and now it's in the oven baking.

The only acceptable mention of christmas prior to halloween... ;)

FBWI-PtWQAMLljm?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Bokishi said:

Been making massive amounts of money on cryptocurrencies. Anyone else buying into this stuff? It's been my new hobby this year

Nah, I dont trust anything that has no intrinsic value. You can make money on Crypto but its not worth the risk compared to normal investment options 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Nah, I dont trust anything that has no intrinsic value. You can make money on Crypto but its not worth the risk compared to normal investment options 

Depends on what crypto you go for tbh, yes plenty of scams but also plenty of diamonds if you do the research. Trading a token called Saitama made me $30K last month, and that token is still only getting started. With stocks if you make %15 returns in a year, it's considered a success. But in crypto you can get %100+ returns in an hour, and possibly %1000 in a good week

However the philosophy remains "only invest what you can afford to lose" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Helped a friend battle ants in her kitchen

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 hours ago, Bokishi said:

Been making massive amounts of money on cryptocurrencies. Anyone else buying into this stuff? It's been my new hobby this year

I did a bit when I lost my job last year. Between that and some real estate deals I paid for the last year. 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21