Troubadour Summoner survivability (and equipment) issues?

You mentioned problem with money @SirMirrorcoat . The best way to get money early, if I'm not mistaken, is to board merchant ships (lvl5 ones at your level, usually around port Maje and north to Neketaka). You get more loot when boarding instead of sinking them. At lvl10-12 you can take on lvl11 captains, which will drops lots of fine+ gear that sells for exponentially more than the lower quality counterparts. I'm lvl15 atm in my triple crown run, and I went out to take on a bunch of ships and that "one raid" alone got me like 70k gold of loot.   

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, targeting ANY ship at sea. Seemingly have NO reputation penalty with that faction at all. So I think the flags you can use for the different factions, is simply to have a tool to not have that faction attack you at sea. Maybe the logic is that there's no witnesses left alive to tell the tale.

So basically. If you need money. Board every ship you see out there. Pirating is lucrative. Just remember to SAVE THE GAME in safe distance when approaching a ship, so you don't accidentally take on a high level ship you can't beat. 

EDIT: Also. I've read your name wrong all this time. I've read it as Sir Mirror Cat. So from now, if it's ok with you. I will call you cat :)

Edited by Ouroboros226
  • Like 1

Followup to pirating.

How TF am I supposed to win these fights???
I am level 7 and the moment combat starts (against the Beggar Wfwrthwhatever - level 3 captain) I get swarmed and die. I cannot even finish buffing 😧
(Still level 7 because I restarted again to have the Archipelago background and change race to Island Aumaua - sticking with Chanter now)

Islands with some 2 skull areas are easier than the freaking Beggar captain xD

Although Beggar Winfrith is only level 3, I think, the pirate ship battles are dangerous because of their large number of firearms users. There are different ways of dealing with them. First, boost your pierce AR. The right armor can help a lot. If you have a druid in the party, have them cast woodskin on your party. It's a fast cast and the +5 pierce AR will really help. If you have a chanter, have them cast Killers Froze Stiff. It works well on the pirates as they tend to be rogues and have low will def. Also, if you've earned any Berath's Blessings points, the Infamous Captian blessing works wonders with ship battles. If you are able to terrify half the enemy crew at the start of battle, you'll receive a less overwhelming opening volley, and will have more room to maneuver and buff. Lastly, a priest can cast Watchful Presence, which provides automatic emergency healing to whomever the volley focuses on, preventing that character from being knocked out. This is a great but somewhat under appreciated spell that I like to cast before any dangerous battle.

• Like 3

Sink them instead. Its usually easy if you know what you're doing (and preferably bought Royal Bronzer cannons + a Dhow ship). Also, only recruit either masters at the craft (mainly if you have that Berath's Blessing) - or sailors with 1 star only. Focus one area of activity hard, particularly on cannoneers (meaning, don't get any stars in other jobs).

That way you can target bounties like 10 levels above you, with great loot and rewards.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

Having summons as distractions helps immensely against swarms of enemies. The other option is chillfog. I didn't understand what made people say chillfog was OP before higher difficulties. 4 gunners in the backline? One chillfog and you can forget about them for a while and re-focus elsewhere. In my ironman playthrough I avoided boarding until I had done enough quests in Neketaka to get to lvl9 or so IIRC before going for lvl5 merchant ships. Chillfog though is just soooo gooooooood. In ship battles they will mostly swarm at the boarding planks in the middle. And they will reach your party before having time to cast chillfog. So what you want to do - is pause and quickly move your ranged/squishies a bit back, and your tanks / melee. Unpause. Cast chillfog a bit behind the boarding planks on YOUR side of the ship. This will blanket their melee line and any behind them. Then use all AOE you have on top of that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any shield larger then small will reduce your accuracy for spells. Invest in firearms or bows so you can buff your allies and summon from a distance. Also look into getting the animancy cat to buff your summons even further.

• Like 1