Jump to content

raNdOM vidEo game newSS


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

This must be one of the longest and detailed posts I have ever read from you about a game and its very interesting so thanks for the details

But what would you give the game out of 100 ?

I wish everyone scored their gaming reviews out of 100 because I am a  numbers person and I generally understand reviews based on a actual score .....weird but  true because that is how my brain is wired 8)

I could write even more. Such as your character barely talking about making music, but then in the end they are suddenly all like "but you always wanted to do music and sing on stage!" ... and I'm here like, what, when the hell did that happen?? Also that's another point on the hipster list... becoming a big name artist with your acoustic guitar alone on stage, as if that is the most normal thing in the world. That feels like someone was projecting hard while writing this.

If I had to rate the game from 0 to 100, I would probably do something like 70. It's not a bad game and if one likes the first game (I haven't played the second, so can't compare), chances are good that one will like this one too. It's just that all this over the top perfect world hipster stuff and the issues with the dialogue timings are just ugh. The "empath" stuff is a stain as well, but I don't remove that many points for it, because thanks to the way of the story, it can mostly be waved away as bad writing.

That said, I am using "hipster" as a negative in all of this. Personally I don't mind hipster stuff, hell I'm probably half one as well and there is lots of stuff that I like about it. It's really just that the game is basically exterminating everything else and hipster is everywhere. It's simply too much. It reminds me of danger hairs and mentally unstable people who see themselves as perfect and open, but are actually just self-absorbed idiots who you want to keep away from. It's a hipster circle-jerk. The funny thing is, I could never write that in any dedicated LiS board (or reddit sub) without getting downvoted into oblivion, because many of exactly these people are hanging around there and will feel personally attacked. Heh.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I could write even more. Such as your character barely talking about making music, but then in the end they are suddenly all like "but you always wanted to do music and sing on stage!" ... and I'm here like, what, when the hell did that happen?? Also that's another point on the hipster list... becoming a big name artist with your acoustic guitar alone on stage, as if that is the most normal thing in the world. That feels like someone was projecting hard while writing this.

If I had to rate the game from 0 to 100, I would probably do something like 70. It's not a bad game and if one likes the first game (I haven't played the second, so can't compare), chances are good that one will like this one too. It's just that all this over the top perfect world hipster stuff and the issues with the dialogue timings are just ugh. The "empath" stuff is a stain as well, but I don't remove that many points for it, because thanks to the way of the story, it can mostly be waved away as bad writing.

That said, I am using "hipster" as a negative in all of this. Personally I don't mind hipster stuff, hell I'm probably half one as well and there is lots of stuff that I like about it. It's really just that the game is basically exterminating everything else and hipster is everywhere. It's simply too much. It reminds me of danger hairs and mentally unstable people who see themselves as perfect and open, but are actually just self-absorbed idiots who you want to keep away from. It's a hipster circle-jerk. The funny thing is, I could never write that in any dedicated LiS board (or reddit sub) without getting downvoted into obvlision, because many of exactly these people are hanging around there and will feel personally attacked. Heh.

Now that you have scored the game 70/100 I understand your review in way that makes complete sense 

Because often with reviews all of us do is  raise issues with the game and sometimes for people reading its the issues that you tend to focus on. Yet your overall view is positive which is what I want to hear because for me this can be a  real factor is buying this game in the future

But if you had scored the game 40/100 that could have subconsciously and consciously put me off buying the game unless I read another review that I enjoyed or highlighted game components that resonate with me

It may sound unusual but I always consider the personal reviews of gamers on forums like this because I consider this forum a place where like minded gamers frequent so opinions and feedback matter :thumbsup:

And then we all have our personal preferences that are sometimes different but thats normal, for example you dont support or enjoy Elder Scroll games as much as me   

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Sorry, I was just joking.

You never joke.....since when did you start joking :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, it sounded kinda believable to me, as some sort of special ending. Shame they didn't went with it --- I guess the developers didn't even realized what kind of world they were creating there.

 

Man, I really don't want to **** on the game so much, but it's just that these things are enough to ruin the experience for me. Half of my complaints aren't even unfixable... just needs someone to put the work into it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also you're in the wrong thread for all that :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

If I had to rate the game from 0 to 100, I would probably do something like 70. It's not a bad game and if one likes the first game (I haven't played the second, so can't compare), chances are good that one will like this one too.

I've been wondering about picking up the first game. What would you say are the things the first game does well, especially compared with what you wrote about the new game? Something brief would be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Also you're in the wrong thread for all that :lol:

Yeah I know. Noticed it too late (the what are you playing thread was somewhere far away at the time of my writing) and then didn't want to bother with it anymore. Threads are closed soon-ish anyways.

 

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I've been wondering about picking up the first game. What would you say are the things the first game does well, especially compared with what you wrote about the new game? Something brief would be fine.

Well, the first game has well written characters, the story is interesting, the whole high school nostalgia is a big sell as well, the graphics are nice (still nice today), the music is good if you like that kind of indie stuff. The emotional reactions are probably the biggest sell for me. Not gonna lie, I want to feel something when gaming, and LiS1 delivers.

Of course it has some weak points as well, but bleh, every game has something to complain about, just have to look long enough and in the case of this game, the positive are outweighing the negatives, imo.

Edited by Lexx
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Unfortunately, while mainstream outlets like this one quite a lot, reviews that have most influence over me, are so far rather lukewarm. I think I will hold off on this one for now. 

Arkane has a pretty good track record, plus it's a time loop game and time loops are currently my jam. I'll likely get it sooner or later.

breen_tuna.gif.f209371d450243737d37ca9251849aff.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Arkane has a pretty good track record, plus it's a time loop game and time loops are currently my jam. I'll likely get it sooner or later.

It, however, doesn’t seem as Arkane-y, nor time-loopy as I have hoped. Meh, I still have Mooncrash to play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

It, however, doesn’t seem as Arkane-y, nor time-loopy as I have hoped. Meh, I still have Mooncrash to play. 

I got a pretty strong Dishonored (2) vibe from the trailer, seems pretty Arkane-y to me. :shrugz:

  • Like 1

breen_tuna.gif.f209371d450243737d37ca9251849aff.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, Deathloop is still just a multiplayer shooter, no? Not much time stuff can be done in that scenario unless they do something so wild I can't think of it right now. It's very unlikely that I will ever play it, even though I like Arkane games... simply because I don't play multiplayer shooter.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

I mean, Deathloop is still just a multiplayer shooter, no? Not much time stuff can be done in that scenario unless they do something so wild I can't think of it right now. It's very unlikely that I will ever play it, even though I like Arkane games... simply because I don't play multiplayer shooter.

Not really. It's multiplayer in the Dark Souls sense where you can invade another player's game and play as Julianna who is trying to stop Colt. The primary loop of the game is playing as Colt figuring out how to kill 8 specific targets before the clock strikes midnight. At midnight the loop resets and everybody except Colt and Julianna repeats their normal patterns.

I'm not sure what happens when no one invades your game, whether there is an AI Julianna or no Julianna.

Edited by Keyrock

breen_tuna.gif.f209371d450243737d37ca9251849aff.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Lexx said:

Well, the first game has well written characters, the story is interesting, the whole high school nostalgia is a big sell as well, the graphics are nice (still nice today), the music is good if you like that kind of indie stuff. The emotional reactions are probably the biggest sell for me. Not gonna lie, I want to feel something when gaming, and LiS1 delivers.

I thought the first game was too hipstery, twee, precious and cringey and for the entirety of whole game I itched to stuff main characters face-first into Trainspotting-esque toilet bowl of reality. So If this sequel is ever on GOG, I'm certainly buying it to hateplay. :biggrin:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

I mean, Deathloop is still just a multiplayer shooter, no?

Mostly single-player, but Juliana will be either controlled by AI or by enemy player. Being peer to peer the online experience seems to be very Dark Souls indeed, including lag. My disappointment is that it seems to be more of a shooter, indeed, rather then “an immersive sim”. Blink is the least interesting skill in Arcane repertoire, and “domino” is not terribly exciting, if the only status you can apply is “kill”. Also poor PC performance, poor AI etc. Will wait for a sale, hopefully on GOG, denuvo free (though we will see if it will happen now when we have a multiplayer title, and a change in overhead management). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

:lol:

  • Confused 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...