raNdOM vidEo game newSS

Amentep

On 10/25/2021 at 3:11 PM, Amentep said:

I've replayed the trilogy a few times (although I never played the updated ME3 endings).

I think the things that disappoints me the most about the trilogy is that the series starts as pure heroic space opera and by ME3 the series is "war is hell, there is no good choices, life sucks and then you die" kind of storytelling.

Which isn't bad per se, particularly had the series always been that way, but I don't find that to be a satisfactory conclusion to what started as a heroic space opera.  I could accept the sort of darker ME2 with the idea it was the "Empire Strikes Back" of Mass Effect, but instead it was like, in movie terms, ME1-3 were Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back - Full Metal Jacket.  'Fixing' the end of ME3 is never going to fix that tonal problem with the series.

I always thought ME2 was like that Parker-Stone puppet film, you know, "America F†ck yeah!", only serious.

• Thanks 1

ME2 was easily my favorite in the trilogy. It was a much better shooter than the first. On the other hand, it was also a worse RPG than the first game, in terms of mechanics, but at least they made class powers feel different from each other. I really enjoyed the setup with a ragtag group of misfits coming together to save the galaxy. The final mission was also terrific, even if the game lacked a strong main villain.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

ME2 felt too barebones.  Also they gave us Jacob (yes, the black guy whose father abandons him and will cheat on FemShep and knock up his sidechick...) so that's further negatives.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

ME2 felt too barebones.  Also they gave us Jacob (yes, the black guy whose father abandons him and will cheat on FemShep and knock up his sidechick...) so that's further negatives.

Really?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I liked the Mass Effect where they had that big robot thing that went, "wwwoommm!" And you played as the "only man for the job" 'cause you're the only man for the job. And then there was the funny part where the funny guy said the funny thing and it was funny. And then there were these bad guys that wanted the thing but then you stop them from getting the thing. Oh, and then you bang a blue chick! That was cool.

• Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Really?

Yep, the scientist girl.  His defense to Shepard was basically he couldn't wait 6 months without a chick.  Not really sure if Bioware thought much on what they were doing there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maybe I will get the LE and replay it.  Although, hopefully I can hack the ME2 save so I don't need to scan.

2 hours ago, bugarup said:

I always thought ME2 was like that Parker-Stone puppet film, you know, "America F†ck yeah!", only serious.

I've never seen TEAM AMERICA so can't really say.

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Yep, the scientist girl.  His defense to Shepard was basically he couldn't wait 6 months without a chick.  Not really sure if Bioware thought much on what they were doing there.

Sounds more like a problem with the plot railroading to set-up ME3 (much like the difference in the companions between ME1 and 2).  They probably had feedback from fans that Jacob wasn't a big pick for FemShep players and decided to close off the romance arc. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 minutes ago, Amentep said:

They probably had feedback from fans that Jacob wasn't a big pick for FemShep players and decided to close off the romance arc. 

This must be the reason. They had alot of scenes in ME3 with the frogman, I doubt they anticipated people liking him so much.

Its a strangely named game, but I love the Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics style games, and the Octopath Traveler-like visuals make for an interesting look.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

12 hours ago, Gorth said:

A bit of a weird thing about Bioware games when I look at it in retrospective. Dragon Age 1 and Mass Effect 1 both had some very promising and interesting game mechanics and combat systems. The sequels in both series tossed it all out and featured what I see as comparably dumb, mindless systems. Was it really too challenging? Dang it, I really loved discovering new, fun (and sometimes completely suicidal) outcomes when mixing various spell effects in the original Dragon Age 😁

Far easier to cut mechanics than fix them. Simple pew pew with light magic (or 'magic') appeals to more people.

10 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

For me not weird, but expected, because they were EAten after these two magnificent games 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't entirely blame EA for that at least. Bioware was well along that road even before Elevation Partners, let alone EA.

(I still find the EA purchase hilarious though, due to John Riccitiello's relationship with both EP and EA. Not exactly disinterested)

46 minutes ago, Lexx said:

More glorification of mercenaries, pfft.

But looks good, hope it sells well.

I should spend more time playing Arma 3,  Think I've worn Arma 2 to death with the mission editor, although it is funny to watch the AI do such random things.

I liked the first two, hated the third and never played whatever came after that.

I'll have to keep an eye out on Eiyuden Chronicle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I liked the first two, hated the third and never played whatever came after that.

I'll have to keep an eye out on Eiyuden Chronicle.

Almost the same as me. I loved the first two and I liked the fourth. The third had a horrible system where the characters worked as pairs and received only one command so if you ordered a mage to cast a fire spell, their partner would rush into battle and be hit:facepalm:. I hated it too.

I don't remember much about the fifth. I played it and I think I liked it, but even watching some videos on youtube I still could not remember any details about it.

sign.jpg

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Looks cool, Wishlisted 👍

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I don't see how Triangle Strategy is any more weird a name than Tactics Ogre and Octopath anyway.

Tactics Ogre makes sense only in light of it being part of the OGRE BATTLE series. Octopath Traveler I'll give you.

That said, Triangle Stategy is oddly generic, which I find strange. Although I think the setting is trying to establish the reasoning for the name.

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

I should spend more time playing Arma 3,  Think I've worn Arma 2 to death with the mission editor, although it is funny to watch the AI do such random things.

I don't know if FK is still a thing, but they organized missions all the time. There are a couple of streamers too that make missions nowadays, but I don't know how much of a faff it is to get in to one of those missions.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Eh, playing with others is overrated.

• Like 3