raNdOM vidEo game newSS

Amentep

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

EDIT. Wouldn't it be nice, if they remade KOTOR2 as well, and work with Obsidian or/and Avellone and like finish it, this time around

If there was ever a game I would be okay with a remake of, it's definitely KotOR 2. Too buggy, unfinished, and promising to leave in its current state. They should have just skipped remaking 1 (already great RPG) and gone straight to 2 so we can get 3 sooner. Oh well... Still excited for a remake for a change since 2 could be fixed and Revan's story could eventually be finished.

I'm pretty sure remaking KOTOR2 would cost them too much money.

I don't have any interest in KOTOR1. Tried it back in the days, made it to the second planet or something and then stopped playing, as it felt so boring. The only thing I remember is that everything felt like I was just following a linear tunnel.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I played KOTOR1 after KOTOR2 and was thinking, "This exclamation-mark-loving idiot who can't string a sentence longer than six words is that legendary cunning manipulator KOTOR2 gushed about?? 🙄" Aaaanyway, why not, everything else is being remade, 'sides, it's not like soulless corporate husk of dev formerly known as Bioware has creative resources to come up with something new. ;(

Bioware isn't (re)making this game, for which I am thankful -- I don't think many of the people who made the 2003 game are still working there. Then again, I'm not exactly hopeful that Aspyr, a developer known for porting games, can really handle something like this. I've also seen speculation that the remake may include bits from K2. If true, that probably kills any hope for a K2 remake.

In other non-news, I found this and thought it was interesting. Since we don't have a Random, Interesting and Weird thread in the gaming section and I cba to make one, I'm dumping it here.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

I've also seen speculation that the remake may include bits from K2. If true, that probably kills any hope for a K2 remake.

Might, but could also be that they do plan on doing KotOR2 and want to seed references to it in the first game to overall tighten the links between the two as well.

I'm willing to wait and see.

• Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

I'm pretty sure remaking KOTOR2 would cost them too much money.

I don't have any interest in KOTOR1. Tried it back in the days, made it to the second planed or something and then stopped playing, as it felt so boring. The only thing I remember is that everything felt like I was just following a linear tunnel.

Huh. I was hooked on the story and didn't see the twist coming at all. It probably helped that it came out at a time when I wasn't really plugged into the internet. It was also back in the day when I could sit down and play a game for an entire weekend. 

Plus it was a more engaging Star Wars story than the prequels. I went my entire childhood without any real SW content other than the toys and the original movies, and then we get these mediocre movies. Then we suddenly get this fairly cutting edge RPG set in the universe. It was pretty awesome at the time.

• Like 2

And the party reactions to the plot twist were fun. The writers threw it at you as the super important revelation that defines the whole game, and the majority of npcs in your party had the exact opposite reaction, so it prevented the scene from becoming cringy like so many super hero stories "Oh, wow the bad guy is your step brother who hates you because you got more attention blah blah".

It was one of those games where the writers weren't trying too hard to be super serious writers and just ran with it. I think it is what makes it Bioware's best game.

• Thanks 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yeah, even as someone who does not like Star Wars at all, I liked KoTOR and its successors well enough. Sure it was during the early days where going full 3D meant heavy compromises, but mechanically it was functional, and I liked the heavy focus on dialogue, as silly as the few canned lines of alien speech endlessly repeating was.

Besides, it's not like we had any other option back then for a spiritual successor to the IE games - frankly I would have played whatever BioWare released regardless of the setting at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I played kotor after kotor 2 and had been spoiled on the plot, I was more interested in space swashbuckling than the big reveal. It was good enough for that, probably not something I'd replay very often though as the options are pretty limited.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

26 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I replayed Kotor. Never replayed Kotor2. I found it to be trying too hard to be profound.

I replayed both kotor and kotor2 once, over a decade later. I tend to replay games more for the different gameplay experiences than the story divergences and in both kotors you're a space gish who destroys hordes of mooks no matter if you're pure evil or a saint. :shrugz:

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Looks like Thor needs to cut back on carbs.

34 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I replayed both kotor and kotor2 once, over a decade later. I tend to replay games more for the different gameplay experiences than the story divergences and in both kotors you're a space gish who destroys hordes of mooks no matter if you're pure evil or a saint. :shrugz:

While it's debatable whether Jedi are remotely saintly, that's a failing of the setting, if at all. In a war context, Jedi rack up impressive body counts in other media as well.

A true pacifist playthrough being a possibility in the remake would be a huge selling point for me, personally. I doubt that's in the cards, though.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

6 minutes ago, 213374U said:

While it's debatable whether Jedi are remotely saintly, that's a failing of the setting, if at all.

While that may be a debate to have, from what I remember of the game's dialogue options the light side range from goody two-shoes to the requisite lawful stupid, while dark side was greedy **** or chaotic stupid. All of which had a meager impact on the gameplay itself. I was thinking more of that than Star Wars lore.

Yeah, that's a common occurrence in RPGs in general, and Bioware games in particular. I guess making compelling and credible evil options is difficult, because it boils down to either egoism (i.e. walk away and get no XP or loot) or zealotry which is often a poor fit for player characters. Games tend to go for the thug playstyle instead, and that's just boring.

Tyranny I think managed to present consistently interesting "evil" options that made sense for the player, but I can't remember many other games that did. Tyranny is also a special case in the sense that the story sets the player up as an official and enforcer of an all-powerful tyrant.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Who owns the Tyranny IP, Obsidian or Paradox? I found Tyranny far more interesting than Pillars.

As for the Jedi, if there's one thing Star Wars has taught me it's that the Jedi are idiots. :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

from what I remember of the game's dialogue options the light side range from goody two-shoes to the requisite lawful stupid, while dark side was greedy **** or chaotic stupid.

Yeah, KOTOR was worse in that respect then most. I heavily lean into good aligned characters, especially back then, but even KOTOR seemed unreasonable extreme when it comes to choice (and sadly mechanics heavily rewarded going all in one one). 

KOTOR2 is messy, I really disliked it on my first playthough - I found a lot of it's choices to be forced, characters underdevelop, not to mention the ending. It has some major pacing issues. I liked it much more on my 2nd playthrough, with community patch and restored content. Overall, still one mess of a game, with some moments which shine bright. 

I played Kotor2 first. Before that I hadn't even heard of "KOTOR". 

I think I bought the first one (on DVD) at some point, since there was so much talk about a few characters in it.  I don't think I got past any tutorial/beginning scene.  Nothing against the game. I'm just one of those that sometimes has a hard time getting into whatever I try to play second. Couldn't drum up any interest in playing 1, is all.

I suppose a remake/redo/whatever of the first one is nice for the newer generations who want more shiny and QoL updates.  Maybe they won't totally screw it up and it'll please both old and new fans. Maybe.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts