Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Part 2

Amentep

Original Thread:

Last few posts:

On 9/6/2021 at 2:39 PM, Oner said:

Do trash mobs have PC levels in this one too to give us a sense of pride and accomplishment or whatever?

On 9/6/2021 at 5:13 PM, Vaeliorin said:

For the loot, it's not about difficulty, it's more about expected pacing of loot progression.  I'm level 10 and I've found one +3 weapon (a shortbow), and I must have missed all the +4 stat items before Drezen.  Mostly, I'd like to not have to buff as much. 

I'm doing crusade stuff, and cleared every army I felt capable of beating, but some of them (mostly the difficulty 6+ ones) are too hard for me to beat yet.

That said, I'm really loving my character.  I went with Gendarme 1/Divine Hound X and riding around on my wolf tripping things with endless judgement is fun.  I really wish that dirty fighting was in as a feat so I could get my wolf greater trip, but unfortunately that's not the case.  I'm not sure how I'll ever play a character without a mount again, because it's just incredible to have that sort of mobility.  In a level or 2 I should have aspect of the wolf, so I can free action trip things. :)

On 9/7/2021 at 5:45 AM, Raithe said:

Just been playing through the first few hours of it. Have to admit, I'm getting more of an "Icewind Dale" vibe from it. You don't really have that personal a story hook grab you before dropping you into several hours of dungeon crawl killing.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:51 AM, xzar_monty said:

I've just played through the first hour or so, perhaps slightly less. It's astonishing how meta-written the stuff is. It's both funny and frustrating. You come across a couple of strange-looking people and strike a conversation. They go something like: "Dude! We are <our race name, just to let you know> which means we're descended from <information, in case you're not familiar with the mechanics>, so we're not exactly able to move around in <spoilery information>. However, we've got such-and-such capacities that you folks probably don't, and if you feel like joining forces we'd be more than happy to, as our combined strength would give us a strategic advantage against all the monsters this dungeon is bound to be filled with -- even if we've been here all the time, which clearly means that we've just been standing still but hey, this is a game. So wanna join up?"

The artificiality is so in-your-face it's unbelievable. I must say this feel QUITE different from the kind of writing games like Deadfire and Disco Elysium aimed at.

20 hours ago, HoonDing said:

"Irabeth"

7ubAGTr.gif

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

@Amentep: Is there some kind of forum mechanics related reason why threads get closed down once they become long enough? Just curious, as I'm not sure I've ever understood why it happens.

Many years ago, it was started because long threads created problems in the database that could damage it*.   My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that most modern forum software doesn't have the same issues as the old ones, but the practice has been continued under the theory that long threads may be seen as a barrier to participation for people not already in the thread.  Therefore we currently reset threads once they hit ~500 posts or so, with a couple of exceptions over the years.

*If you were around for one of the BIS boards, you may recall the "Black Hole" thread - it was, as I understand it, created due to a combination of deleting posts and really long threads creating an error in the database index that caused the loss of the board eventually.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Seem like WoR is continuing the philosophy of "timed" events. They are sticking to their guns, I'll give them that.

46 minutes ago, Amentep said:

*If you were around for one of the BIS boards, you may recall the "Black Hole" thread - it was, as I understand it, created due to a combination of deleting posts and really long threads creating an error in the database index that caused the loss of the board eventually.

Irony if ever I saw it.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

16 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Seem like WoR is continuing the philosophy of "timed" events. They are sticking to their guns, I'll give them that.

I guess that means wait until the Warfare Resolution mod drops.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

20 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I guess that means wait until the Warfare Resolution mod drops.

Upon further research, while there are some timed events, they will be more along the line of rewarding the player instead of punishing. But for me it doesn't make a difference as I want to 100% it.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Upon further research, while there are some timed events, they will be more along the line of rewarding the player instead of punishing. But for me it doesn't make a difference as I want to 100% it.

Not even that, I don't want to get screwed by the bugs or time limits and tank a game I put days into.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Warfare thing surely shapes up to be something that'll annoy me even worse than Kingdom. Oh, and speaking of bugs, reddit reports that if you build 'training grounds' structure that is supposed to give your troups +10% to their attack, it actually gives you 10% of attack in total. As in, -90%. :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Oh, and speaking of bugs, reddit reports that if you build 'training grounds' structure that is supposed to give your troups +10% to their attack, it actually gives you 10% of attack in total. As in, -90%. :biggrin:

That's super cool! 😀

Owlcat seems to specialize in dodgy math. In P:K you're supposed to have 50% spell failure chance in some parts of the First World, but I'd be prepared to swear that one's bugged to the hilt. It's not impossible to fail 20+ times in a row if the odds are 1 in 2, but realistically, it doesn't happen. Except in P:K it does.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

reality is a harsh mistress. am recalling an owlcat developer mentioning pre beta that one thing they learned from kingmaker were to avoid the timer and so wotr quests and crusade management weren't gonna be near as punishing from a time management aspect as were the case in their previous title. then the beta happened and people advanced the calendar by 10 years to build sooper armies.

owlcat solution: create a timer for crusade management.

crude and lacking in creativity were the owlcat response to beta players predictable breaking the crusade/army management model, but such a response were not entirely unforeseeable. we didn't genuine expect a back to the drawing board approach, but am nevertheless disappointed by how blunt were the owlcat efforts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I am frankly astonished by some of the design decision Owlcat continues to make.

Early on in the game, there's a clearly optional encounter with a difficult opponent. I'm almost certain every player is going to be at level 2 at this point (the entire game up to this has been completely railroaded with no options to choose anything other than what is put in front of you). The opponent is at level 8. It's tough.

All this is fair enough -- but then I managed to kill the opponent and was rewarded with a whopping 36 XP points. In other words: NOTHING. Why do they do this? I mean, seriously, why? It seems like their approach is to be unfair and cruel just for the sake of it. I don't get it. In real life, GMs like that would lose all their players in a hurry. (I know there are rewards in terms of items, but surely the XP reward should be substantially greater. Like, ten times what it is, at least.)

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

still have no idea how to recruit high level troop other than mercenary

Depending on where you are in the game, you might not have the option yet

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

9 hours ago, Wormerine said:

But then you could get agead of XP curve, and how could they continue being cruel towards you? 

This might happen if these tough optional battles were common. I don't think they are.

Fairly strange that they put in a serious challenge and then don't properly reward you if you finish it.

can't use ranged weapons on a mount while in tb. is a number of tb quirks regarding mounted combat. a few is dispelled with a simple switch to rt for a second, but not all. 

in drezen we have had multiple party members drop through floors; that bug almost feels nostalgic. 

demonslayer favored enemies feature does not play well with other similar features. most obvious quirk is another oldie: sacred huntsmaster and demonslayer favored enemies features overlap different 'depending on which class gets fe first. 

and what's with the flying mug?

etc.

is a few minor crusade bugs so far but am given to understand they proliferate more than a little in act 3. 

oh, and is worth noting the upgraded army units current are in most instances not upgrades. would appear the base units were improved at some point by owlcat but they never bothered to give enhanced units a proportional power boost so now the base units often outperform the enhanced versions.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I wanted to play on core rules but I think I will switch out resting to cure all the conditions. I am not buying 500 gold potion for all my frontliners after every day of fighting. Every random trash mob is affecting me with disease and - attributes. Its nuts

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Sorry? That's a different thing. It was good to be able to finish the critter (after 3-4 tries), and it felt like an accomplishment. This concerns what happened after.

Once upon the time, some EA representative explained why some content is accessible either via long boring grind OR lootbox purchase with "we wanted to provide our players with a sense or pride and accomplishment". Lets say this explanation failed hard to connect with the audience, just like my joke. :biggrin:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, bugarup said:

Once upon the time, some EA representative explained why some content is accessible either via long boring grind OR lootbox purchase with "we wanted to provide our players with a sense or pride and accomplishment". Lets say this explanation failed hard to connect with the audience, just like my joke. :biggrin:

Haha! Hey, it was a good joke -- only it didn't connect, because I didn't spot the reference.

16 minutes ago, Setzer said:

I've been itching for a good CRPG to play. Is this worth jumping into now or should I wait a few months for them to fix the bugs like with Kingmaker?

Well it does look good, I must say. I find myself playing it, and there seem to be no problems with it (famous last words). I'm only on level 2, though, so I haven't seen much yet.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

I wanted to play on core rules but I think I will switch out resting to cure all the conditions. I am not buying 500 gold potion for all my frontliners after every day of fighting. Every random trash mob is affecting me with disease and - attributes. Its nuts

Dang. That does sound like seriously bad game design. As I'm sure you know, in DD (and variants) diseases and ability damage are meant to be a nuisance, something you can't get rid of just like that. So there's that. But if you keep getting that kind of punishment from random trash mobs, then I completely see your point. Heck, Owlcat does have these design problems. It's such a shame.