Gods suck, my Priest needs to 'deconvert'. Monk plus/vs Ranger plus/vs Rogue?

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Monks are the strongest martial class imo, they are great as multiclass as well as single class in all sorts of roles and combos (not even in martial ones). Overall it's just a very well rounded and effective set of subclasses.

I mean...

Hide contents

new_hyleon.gif?dl=1

Okay, WTF just happened there

It's a mortar monk. :)

Whispers of the Wind (Full Attack on everybody in range) combined with mortars (3 AoE blast with every Full Attack). Then add Avenging Storm... Blinding Smoke (Hand Mortar enchantment) also triggers Avenging Storm although it doesn't do damage. And if there's still enemies alive they will have dozens of Resonant Touches and will insta-die if you activate Resonant Touch. 

It's best with maxed INT and when the enemies stand near each other - but it's also very good if the enemies are more scattered. Against single targets you can switch to normal blunderbusses or summon the Long Pain fists.

It's one of the most potent combinations (for party play) I know. Works against mobs and bosses alike (with the help of Belt of Magran's Chosen which adds a few more weak enemies which in this case is very benefical). Resonant Touch + AoE * AoE is just very, very effective.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

5 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Monks are the strongest martial class imo, they are great as multiclass as well as single class in all sorts of roles and combos (not even in martial ones). Overall it's just a very well rounded and effective set of subclasses.

I mean...

Hide contents

new_hyleon.gif?dl=1

I have no idea what just happened but I loved it ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SirMirrorcoat said:

A Druid/Monk? I need to keep that in mind for future runs I guess :)

No, a single class Monk. Avenging Storm is from the helmet "Heaven's Cacophony" or from scrolls. But it's also OP without it. That's just icing on the cake. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

• 2 weeks later...

@Boeroer

As you seem pretty well-versed in Monkology :)

So I will circle back to Monk, as I tested FF at level 10 against some bounties instead of just against the early Young Drake, and it is really freaking great.

Now I just wonder how hard it is to keep Arcane Dampener from screwing over my Nalpazca, as I still find that one more appealing than Forbidden Fist?
I have yet to encounter Wizards with this spell, but if they essentially 'break' a Nalpazca, I will go for Forbidden Fist instead...

Arcane Dampener is quite bad for a Nalpasca because you get the drug crash and it will not go away even once Arcane Dampener runs out. You have to take in a new drug to make it go away - or rest. 

The only thing that can prevent Arcane Dampener to crit/hit/graze you is your Will defense. But it is very difficult to get it so high that enemy wizards will mostly miss. You'd need high RES and INT (Duality of Mortal Presence helps of course), Bull's Will and all that.

Interrupting the casters before they can complete AD also helps of course. Maybe Rooting Pain can help as long as you keep spending the wounds for interrupting stuff (like Force of Anguish) while gaining new wounds via drugs and damage. Rooting Pain should fire quite often then, interrupting your surroundings, too.

Arcane Dampener becomes relatively common once you visit certain higher-level areas. Usually it's only cast by kith wizards (or kith wizard multiclasses). 

Iirc Elric's Balance Polishing Mod fixes this in a way that after Arcane Dampener runs out the crash will get removed, too (as one would assume). This would help.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SirMirrorcoat said:

Ability progression question @Boeroer

With the Nalpazca Wound gain, is Dance of Death even recommended?
At least early game I don't think like I gain much from that, but maybe late-game that changes?

For me, Dance of Death is useful only if you are a ranged Helwalker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirMirrorcoat said:

Ability progression question @Boeroer

With the Nalpazca Wound gain, is Dance of Death even recommended?
At least early game I don't think like I gain much from that, but maybe late-game that changes?

I like Enduring Dance for ranged monks or once you get Instruments of Pain (which turns you into a ranged melee Monk sort of). For a "normal" melee Monk it's not that effective since you'll lose the effect every few hits, Mortification is limited and it costs 2 points.

• Like 1