Simple question for swashbuckler- Streetfighter/devoted with sabres worth it?

No sub-class may seem bland, but for rogue you don't really need it. If you think the downside of streetfighter may prove frustrating, just safe it with no sub-class imo. I'm kinda new to Deadfire but I can't recall my Eder tank with a sabre ever being unable to deal damage. I think focusing on pierce is the only damage type that will make you hate your build.

there are a few slashing immunes out there (not nearly as many as piercing immunes though), but as long as you have party members oryou bee-line to unlocking the raw damage saber as backup you should be fine (i don't think there are many slash immunes on the critical path of the story).

edit: you could also make sure to use one of the sabres with a lash. even if the enemy is slash immune, the lash damage is based on damage that would have been dealt *before* immunities and armor are considered, so you'll still be able to squeeze out a bit.

Edited by thelee

4 hours ago, thelee said:

there are a few slashing immunes out there (not nearly as many as piercing immunes though), but as long as you have party members oryou bee-line to unlocking the raw damage saber as backup you should be fine (i don't think there are many slash immunes on the critical path of the story).

edit: you could also make sure to use one of the sabres with a lash. even if the enemy is slash immune, the lash damage is based on damage that would have been dealt *before* immunities and armor are considered, so you'll still be able to squeeze out a bit.

What do you mean lash? I see the energy sabre you're talking about, animancers energy blade? I was just planning on picking the sabre from captain aeldys. 

"lash" means any weapon that says something like "+10% damage as frost" or something.

it's a very particular type of enchantment that's handled very specifically by the game, for one it's a rare example of a multiplicative multiplier. as a result ppl tend to prize them. for what we're talking about here, lashes are also peculiar in that they undergo their own immunity/armor check separate from the normal weapon damage. so you can definitely be in a situation where the weapon itself is doing 0 damage but the lash will do some damage. 

• Like 2

Animancer's Energy Blade would only be a backup weapon - for when you meet enemies who are immune to slash damage (and thus Scordeo's Edge would do 0 damage). 

A lash is a multiplicative damage bonus that sometimes is part of unique weapons' enchantments. Like here (see "+20% Damage dealt as Burn" etc.) :
490921527.jpg

Edit: finally @theleemanaged to backstab me. 😄 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Haha 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 9/7/2021 at 4:18 PM, Ouroboros226 said:

No sub-class may seem bland, but for rogue you don't really need it. If you think the downside of streetfighter may prove frustrating, just safe it with no sub-class imo. I'm kinda new to Deadfire but I can't recall my Eder tank with a sabre ever being unable to deal damage. I think focusing on pierce is the only damage type that will make you hate your build.

I've played a Swashbuckler with an Estoc Devoted / Swashbuckler and never hated that build. Quite the opposite, it was VERY strong, Overpenetrating all the time for 30% extra damage. 

People exaggerate with Pierce immunity. There are like 4-5 areas total with them. And not that hard. Bog Lurkers are complete pushovers actually. Elite skellies can be a bit tougher, but you can for example:

1. Use Monastic Unarmed Training - blunt works well,

2. Use Grave Calling sabre - extremely deadly against vessels, so even lowered Accuracy shouldn't be much of an issue,

3. Use Spine of Thicket Green staff - bonus vs vessels, Reach.

People maybe confuse Pierce resistance with immunity. There are quite a few enemies with good Pierce resistance. But when you have 17 base Pen, rogue and fighter active skills can offer +2-4 Pen more and you crit left, right and center, you laugh at those Pierce Armor Ratings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 3:17 PM, Moritsuna said:

Just coming back and wanting to try a simple piratey build. Sabres obviously only have slashing, so wondering if going devoted will make up for that weakness??

Also, is streetfighter worth it or should I just go basic rogue? 

Absolutely go for the Streetfighter.

Note you have to be careful early on. But once you get Unbending, you can carefree charge head on and fight surrounded by many enemies and laugh in their faces.

Trickster is also good and could be another great option - but way more defensive and doesn't kill enemies nearly as fast.