Trying out SC Paladin with Elric Galahad’s Balance Polish Mod 1.0

I like Paladins and I like playing support.  I’m going to try SC Paladin with Elric’s mod. Basically a tank who can heal and throw out Exhortations.  What do you guys think a good party would be? I feel like even though he’s a good tank he won’t be tanking that much if I am heavy on melee damage dealers. So maybe heavy ranged damage with say a swashbuckler type damage dealer? Paladin does not have much engagement even Shielbearer only gets two before gear, so one fighter multiclass will help keep the back like clean..something like:

SC Paladin: tank/support 

Swashbuckler/Brute/Brawler: Melee damage

Scout (Ghost Heart)/Harbinger type: Ranged Damage

Wizard: Debuff/AOE damage

priest: Buffs/AOE damage.

thoughts?

I always feel like a tank type role gets punished in game that has no taunt type mechanic. Even though engagement with heavy ranged works. 

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

A Chanter - either Troubadour or Beckoner - in whatever combination. SC Paladin gets +2 Zeal via Divine Retribution from dying summons, too - so he will have enough Zeal to give Exortations, Lay on Hands etc. to everyone at PL9.

*Singing with Freddy Mercury voice*
"This could be Hastening for everyone
my dudes could be healed
my dudes could be fun..." 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I tried it with Kind Wayfarer. Something that I didn't notice before is that you don't need high CON and RES to kill everything with Sacred Immolation: the damage over time can be suppressed just like any other debuff as long as there's a friendly priest or paladin around. The only downside is that you're not allowed to recast the ability while you still have the debuff on you, even if the actual damage pulses have long ended.

Other than that I still don't feel the exhortations are worth using. Chanters and Priests are just so much more efficient at doing that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

A Chanter - either Troubadour or Beckoner - in whatever combination. SC Paladin gets +2 Zeal via Divine Retribution from dying summons, too - so he will have enough Zeal to give Exortations, Lay on Hands etc. to everyone at PL9.

*Singing with Freddy Mercury voice*
"This could be Hastening for everyone
my dudes could be healed
my dudes could be fun..." 

I’m just worried about damage.  I guess the front liners could be a beckoner and the SC Paladin.  Back line, ranged damage dealer, debuff/damage, buff/damage?

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Beckoner with Ancient Weapons does plenty of damage while you can totally dump MIG and PER and go the tanky route. ;) Also in the beginning and mid game you'll have stuff like 6 wurms which also do a lot of damage. They are bad later on but then you can retrain and pick a better summon (like Ogres or Ancient Weapons).

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

5 minutes ago, NotDumbEnough said:

I tried it with Kind Wayfarer. Something that I didn't notice before is that you don't need high CON and RES to kill everything with Sacred Immolation: the damage over time can be suppressed just like any other debuff as long as there's a friendly priest or paladin around. The only downside is that you're not allowed to recast the ability while you still have the debuff on you, even if the actual damage pulses have long ended.

Other than that I still don't feel the exhortations are worth using. Chanters and Priests are just so much more efficient at doing that.

Ya agreed on the first part, the exhortations i like but i can see what you are saying.   Reviving Exhortation can save your butt, Hastening Exhortation and it’s upgrade are a good party damage boost/movement upgrade which is good, if you have a summoner and a Paladin with divine retribution you can have the entire party under a huge speed effect and have the zeal for other stuff. Liberating Exhortation is one of the few abilities that can get someone out of a hard CC that an inspiration can’t fix, like the wizard spell that turns you into a pig (granted priest can do this too but it’s a much longer cast). Reinforcing Exhortation I find the least useful as I rarely run 2 tanks, so +20 deflection for a character that doesn’t have high deflection to start with is meh.

Have gun will travel.

Some notes about BPM :

- exhortations are much more cost effective. Hastening exhortations upgrades are 25s Nimble+Strong or Swift for 1 zeal (this is locked behind SC wall, HExho itself is only 15s Nimble). Exhortations are a blast for action economy compared with priest buffs. And you don't have to keep your party grouped to use them.

- basically all summons are good with BPM summon components. I've done an entire run with a beckoner and I used Wurms most of the time. You only need a backup for fire resistant foes. Ancient weapons are still a super well rounded pick.

- I wouldn't care to much about the damages. This is indeed not your role. Sacred Immolation is a good source, but then there is fire resistant foes... I would consider picking glorious beacon damages upgrade Vs these foes (better too with BPM).

• Like 1