About shifter... as a new player how do I know what counts as spell or not when theorycrafting my build?

Making your own build is half the fun, even if it fails. I was looking at shifter, which has this penalty that you can't cast spells. But how do I know what abilities counts as a spell? 

For example: Frenzy has a cast time, but you can still use it. Does that mean that evasion, smoke bomb and gauging strike in rogue tree also work? I'm just at a loss as to how I am supposed to figure out what abilities count as a spell - being disabled by the shifter class. I'm assuming shifter disables all spells, but maybe it's ONLY the druid spells?   

EDIT: Also wondering if golden enmity works on shapeshift form, CAN I BE A GOLDEN CAT? :)

Edited by Ouroboros226

Spells in this case: Wizards', Druids' and Priests' spells, Chanters' invoctions as well as Ciphers' focus-fed powers. Everything else you can use while shifted.

You can def. use Gilded Enmity while shifted. Gilded Enmity + Spiritshift Bear gives you enormous AR with 0 recovery penalty. Great mix of offense and sturdyness. Gilded Enmity + Spiritshift Cat lacks 2 AR but lets you attack a lot faster. You can stack Eternal Devotion with Wildstrike which will give you good dmg output.

Also the Spiritshift Boar of the shifter class is implemented with a little quirk which lets the raw DoT which is attached to the tusk attacks last a lot longer than with the normal (non-shifter) spiritshift and makes it very good in combination with high INT and against tough enemies. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

23 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Spells in this case: Wizards', Druids' and Priests' spells, Chanters' invoctions as well as Ciphers' focus-fed powers. Everything else you can use while shifted.

You can def. use Gilded Enmity while shifted. Gilded Enmity + Spiritshift Bear gives you enormous AR with 0 recovery penalty. Great mix of offense and sturdyness. Gilded Enmity + Spiritshift Cat lacks 2 AR but lets you attack a lot faster. You can stack Eternal Devotion with Wildstrike which will give you good dmg output.

Also the Spiritshift Boar of the shifter class is implemented with a little quirk which lets the raw DoT which is attached to the tusk attacks last a lot longer than with the normal (non-shifter) spiritshift and makes it very good in combination with high INT and against tough enemies. 

Thank you :) Great to hear. Thanks for the advice! 

About the gilded enmity, I was more curious about the visual aspect. Do you still get golden skin as a wolf or cat? O.o

It's cool but simple.
Gilded Enmity just replaces (or overlays, don't know) all the materials on the 3d models with a golden one - which is very easy to do. It doesn't matter what character model and which item models are currently visible.

Else it would have been extremely complicated to implement the effect for all armor/headgear/cape/character model combinations.

So - a lot of time wasn't needed. :) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

probably worth clarifying here that this literally means spells that come directly from those classes. the same spells from non-caster sources don't count.

this is mostly relevant for trickster, who gets a bunch of wizard-like spells but can use them while shifted. there might be some other interaction i'm missing that also benefits from this overly-strict definition of "spell."