I'm trying to make my mind on which of these 2 baddies I should roll.

Spellblade: Stealth, pop a fireball. buff up, enjoy some melee, return to casting once guile runs out. Pretty straightforward.

Sage: Here the appeal comes from 2 renewable resources. Nuke and sac, buff, join melee once wounds are full. A clean cycle.

Yes, in both cases I would pop Citzal once unlocked, tho I'd like some flexibility besides that.

What I would like to hear:

1. Which Class (and subclass) to complement Blood Mage?

2. What stats and gear?

3. Insert advice here

Thank you so much, happy rolling everyone! :)

I'd recommend Sage. With Stunning Surge (and Citzal's Spirit Lance) you effectively have three renewable resource pools for most of the fights. Add Swift Flurry and later Hearbeat Drumming.

Nalpasca or Helwalker would be my pick. Helwalker especially if you also want to cast damaging spells frequently. With those two subclasses you can use Deleterious Alacrity of Motion to not only speed you up but also to gain wounds in a controlled way (via moderate self damage). You'll also gain wounds from Blood Sacrifice.

Monk's Turning Wheel (up to +10 INT) is just awesome for wizard spells.

Also the Monk side has more benefical effects than a Rogue. Stuff like Swift Flurry or Lightning Strikes, Crucible of Suffering, Clarity of Agony and even Blade Turning can be prolonged with Wall of Draining. 

Stats aren't that important and depend on how you play the character and also on the subclass. For example a Helwalker can get away with 10 MIG since he'll get up to +10 from his wounds - and that will also scale up the self damage of Blood Sacrifice etc. - you don't want to kill yourself. Maybe also don't lower CON too much. 

Gear will come together while you play, some nice items for a Sage could be Hylea's Talons (more wounds) or Healing Hands (nice in combination with Wall of Draining), the Abraham pet, everything that boosts INT further (for example Heaven's Cacophony and Charm of Bones = bigger lance AoE).

Certain abilities (besides Stunning Surge) are really fun with Spirit Lance: Efficient Anguish, Skyward Kick and Instruments of Pain (which lets you stay of of melee range and allows you to wear lighter armor).  

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

35 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I'd recommend Sage. With Stunning Surge (and Citzal's Spirit Lance) you effectively have three renewable resource pools for most of the fights. Add Swift Flurry and later Hearbeat Drumming.

Nalpasca or Helwalker would be my pick. Helwalker especially if you also want to cast damaging spells frequently. With those two subclasses you can use Deleterious Alacrity of Motion to not only speed you up but also to gain wounds in a controlled way (via moderate self damage). You'll also gain wounds from Blood Sacrifice.

Monk's Turning Wheel (up to +10 INT) is just awesome for wizard spells.

Also the Monk side has more benefical effects than a Rogue. Stuff like Swift Flurry or Lightning Strikes, Crucible of Suffering, Clarity of Agony and even Blade Turning can be prolonged with Wall of Draining. 

Stats aren't that important and depend on how you play the character and also on the subclass. For example a Helwalker can get away with 10 MIG since he'll get up to +10 from his wounds - and that will also scale up the self damage of Blood Sacrifice etc. - you don't want to kill yourself. Maybe also don't lower CON too much. 

Gear will come together while you play, some nice items for a Sage could be Hylea's Talons (more wounds) or Healing Hands (nice in combination with Wall of Draining), the Abraham pet, everything that boosts INT further (for example Heaven's Cacophony and Charm of Bones = bigger lance AoE).

Certain abilities (besides Stunning Surge) are really fun with Spirit Lance: Efficient Anguish, Skyward Kick and Instruments of Pain (which lets you stay of of melee range and allows you to wear lighter armor).  

Thank you so much for your reply. So... 10, 15, 15, 21, 19, 10?

• Like 1

That would work. I personally would reduce RES to 3, CON 10 (and first use some +CON items and wear an Amulet of Health/Greater Health and later pick Tough) if you have some healing capabilities in the party (Paladin, Druid, Priest...) and don't use Blood Sacrifice too frequently. It's more risky with mediocre CON but I prefer it that way. Maybe you want to play it safe(r). :)  

• Like 1

I would start with a quarterstaff and a pike as proficiencies so you get both weapons. It's safer to attack from reach and later you want to use the Spirit Lance anyway. Might as well gather some experience how to best use reach weapons in the early game. 

Concenhaut's Parasitic Staff is nice. You can cast spells from grimoires (no need to learn them if you have a grimoire with that spell in it). In fact I'd recommend to mainly take passives and actives from the Monk side and only spells which you want to have access to at all times.

Blood Sacrifice has one of three damaging outcomes: low, medium and high self damage. It's random. You can use Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon to heal you back. If the chunks of damage are too big I would look for an Amulet of Health. If you need to get rid of wounds quickly in order to minimize self damage you can later use Thunderous Blows. Helwalker + Blood Sacrifice is a bit risky, yes. If it's too tricky maybe try more CON - or a Nalpasca. ;) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I gotta say, gave your build another chance, and I'm glad I did.

Having 3 resources of which 2 are renewable and synergistic is so empowering. It's a skill-fest. I love how the build erases the Might-dependant drawback of Blood Mages, and also how it forces me to an aggressive playstyle. It feels a bit harder than a Spellblade to me, but I believe this is mostly because I played Mages and Rogues to eternity, while Monks never really clicked to me in Deadfire...until now. :)

It makes me wonder if a Transcendent would be as fun...would it too?