Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

Marvel Files Lawsuit to Keep Iron Man, Spider-Man Rights From Creators (gizmodo.com)

The families of iconic Marvel comic book writers and artists Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Don Heck, Gene Colan, and Don Rico have filed termination of copyright notices on the superheroes they helped create. Marvel—which Disney has owned since 2009—unsurprisingly, disagrees and has filed lawsuits against all five to keep the characters in the Marvel stable and making the company billions.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Reasons Why FBI Went to Back to 9mm | SOFREP

I've always had mixed feelings on the FBI but I agree with their decision to revert back to 9mm with a better ammo selection.  Some gun nut U.S. yokels are criticizing their decision to leave .40 S&W but I am quite confident that a Glock 19 with good +P ammo is the right handgun selection.  Now we just need sweeping law enforcement reform and perhaps my opinion on law enforcement overall may improve ;)

Yes, this teeters on being political but I just posted in that thread so I figure this is weird, random, and interesting enough to leave here :)

https://www.universal-sci.com/article/tyrannosaurus-had-complex-nerve-sensors

Scientists from the institute of Dinosaur Research at Fukui Prefectural University took a closer look at the jaws of the Tyrannosaurus rex, and it turns turned out that it wasn't simply an enormous carnivorous beast with a large bite; it also possessed nerve sensors in the very points of its jaw, allowing it to locate (and consume) its prey more effectively.

What various peoples around the world call "@" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_sign#Names_in_other_languages

Disappointed the German isn't something like "an a almost enclosed in a circle"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So my friend told me about LA by Night, and he praised it alot. It's a videocast of people playing Vampire, the storyteller is an employee of White Wolf and there are alot of references to Vampire Bloodlines, so I figured some people here might find it interesting aswell

I have to say that Alexander Wards voice sounds alot like one of the radio voices from the game, it could be lifted straight out of it. I think it's one of the radio voices he is sparking recognition from 🤔

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

While this alone might go in the funny thread...

243537190_10160018307906518_733723894447

The full story is (again) worthy of the funny thread, but has all the historical weirdness that makes me put it here:

You Sexy Devil – The Story of the Genie du Maal – Adventures in Gender F***ery (theophanesavery.com)

Today I am going to regale you with a hilarious story ripped out of the pages of art history. I know what you’re thinking, “Are you serious?” YES. YES I AM. This story has everything – sex appeal, blasphemy, questionable hiring practices, and a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor. So here we go!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

The figure is a bit confusing (and a bit misleading at times), because it shows the size of debt as percentage of global debt but colourises them according to debt per gdp (two very different things). I.e. as a rule of thumb, the more " yellow", the more a country is in danger of defaulting on interest payments to lenders (or bond owners, or whatever the source of the debt is). The US, Japan and Italy are countries to watch for short term danger, China, France, UK, India and Germany are worth keeping an eye on for the medium term risk (simply because of the size of their debts, even if not that impressive compared to their gdp).

Edit: The figure also only shows government dept, not "national debt"... lets say you're interested in the figures for China f.x. The government debt is 67% (approx) of the gdp. However, all added up, the national debt is 300% of gdp. Hence why it's a medium term risk. Ignore at your own peril...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-debt-idUSKCN1UD0KD

(Reuters) - A key gauge of China’s debt has topped 300% of gross domestic product, according to the Institute of International Finance (IIF), as Beijing steps up support for the cooling economy while trying to contain financial risks.

China’s total corporate, household and government debt rose to 303% of GDP in the first quarter of 2019, from 297% in the same period a year earlier, the IIF said in a report this week which highlighted rising debt levels worldwide.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

BBC - "Girls are very much involved in exploitation in gangs"

Over a third of children in gangs are girls but often they remain hidden.

Kendra Houseman was groomed into gangs when she was 13 years old.

Now a gang exploitation consultant, she explains the role of females within a gang structure – and the impact this can have on them.

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Edit: The figure also only shows government dept, not "national debt"... lets say you're interested in the figures for China f.x. The government debt is 67% (approx) of the gdp. However, all added up, the national debt is 300% of gdp. Hence why it's a medium term risk. Ignore at your own peril...

Yeah, but there's a reason why people don't use "national debt" (well, they do, as a synonym for government debt though "government debt" is a far better term for it). If you want to make people pretty much everywhere wet themselves try using the figures for unfunded government liabilities...

There are multiple reasons why China- and Japan's is ludicrously large in to gdp ratio terms- debt isn't as much of a concern; very high levels of private savings and in China's case the small matter of ~3T in simple currency reserves which makes their practical government debt only ~35% of GDP.

To be honest the current talk about things like Evergrande bringing down China's economy is a bit ridiculous and pretty much directly equivalent to all those 2014 articles assuring people that sanctions would drive Russia bankrupt in months. The government could pay Evergrande's entire debt with cash in hand, if they needed to. China's economy is artificial and a house of cards but they spend a lot of time and effort gluing the cards together; and you'll go a long way to find an economy that isn't a house of cards built on flim flam and bubbles anywhere at the moment. What's the figure for the US derivatives market? More theoretical money than actually exists in the entire world's economy you say? Countries with an average house 20x the median wage and 'cooling' at an annual increase of 20% (wages, 2%)? Money printing, free debt etc etc. Everyone is propping themselves up.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58767230

Thinking something had fallen off his vehicle, he got out and saw the queue of vehicles.

"The man at the front wound down his window and asked me which petrol station I was going to," he said.

"When I said I wasn't, he asked me 'Why not?' and when I said I wasn't carrying petrol, he actually said 'You could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker.'

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Well, atleast they won't have to stress over lost sleep, they won't have a job to wake up to.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Relying on the Internet of Things for critical infrastructure? literal lol. Honestly, I'd have actively gone out of my way to avoid buying pointlessly Connected devices even before every second company started getting the ransomware treatment*.

To quote the great philosopher Scott Steiner: "no sympy"

Good for consultants though; they go/et to advise everyone to stick everything on the internet for $$$, then they get to advise everyone to take everything off the internet also for $$$.

*obligatory reminder, mostly done using hacked CIA tools exploiting mandated backdoors...

• Like 2

Using IoT for card readers doesn't seem that outlandish, FB has an immense number of employees - I guess they also have differing levels of access for staff too.  Does seem strange to not have a fallback if the system is just dead (then again, not as if reporters would highlight that anyway).

It will be cool to read an AAR of all this though.

Edited by Malcador