Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

695c857b6a6f338b321fef73a2111381.jpg

Well, the IPCC as well.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

She definitely deserves recognition, but the dig at Gore for his slideshow hasn't aged well, given the environmental crisis we are in. There probably needed to be more attention given to that.

You could argue the Nobel committee has turned into a (partisan) political body. Especially with the so called "peace prize".

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

You could argue the Nobel committee has turned into a (partisan) political body. Especially with the so called "peace prize".

It's not actually a new phenomenon. There have long been political (and personal) influences in the selections.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Rediscovered archival photos capture Amelia Earhart visit to Atlanta in 1934 (ajc.com)

Three years before Amelia Earhart vanished over the Pacific Ocean, she spent a wild weekend in Atlanta recruiting female pilots, flying an Atlanta Constitution reporter over the city and selling a line of designer hats.

The account of the lost 1934 weekend has recently been rediscovered through a series of previously unknown photos of Earhart...

I don't think its paywalled.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sort of a toss up between here and the politics thread….

What it’s like losing someone close to you to a cult (QAnon)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57369349

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

242178768_419376292916862_26870085535290

One of my friends apparently got engaged in a discussion on this and was told that he "needed to learn a bit more about Christianity".

My friend's response was ""I was raised Evangelical for 20 years and I have a degree in Religious Studies and Theology. Is that enough?" "And yes, I've been waiting to be able to mic drop that for yeeears."

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Lots of historians debate the chains of events that led to the fall of the Roman empire. I have my own personal theory about what led to the fall of the British empire 😁

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

From the same story...
Last week, a man was charged by police after posting a social media video of crossing the Auckland boundary in search of McDonald’s.

There's definitely a weird obsession with takeaways here. Think in most places the 100k in cash in the car would make the headlines rather than the KFC.

Personally I refuse to eat KFC and haven't for 20 years.

Spoiler

Eleven secret herbs and spices... why are they secret, if there's nothing to fear? What are they hiding? Why don't they want people to know what's really in their 'chicken'? Has the recipe gone through the usual scientific review process? No it hasn't...

My grandfather used to fill up at Col. Sanders' gas station in Corbin, but according to my dad they never ended up eating in the restaurant when they were traveling through that area. My dad was only a few months old when fire destroyed the original place, so he only ever really saw the rebuilt one.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How 1960s Mouse Utopias Led to Grim Predictions for Future of Humanity

am recalling the rat and mice studies. was unaware a new interpretation o' the findings had emerged although we had always taken as self evident that mice and people is different enough such that drawing broad conclusions were suspect.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we did find the eerie music a curious addition to a science video. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

242212541_10151672920619949_551322202320

So when  there is a literal "notice to burn" on a library's books, they were rescued by the fictional alias of a fictional character played by Bruce Campbell on "Burn Notice"...

Is that someone working a little bit of meta into it?

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."