Jump to content

The All things Political Topic - The Night never knew that its end was fleet.


Amentep

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Raithe said:

For the diversion from economic matters to....

 

Whelp I would cite China's example of dealing with economic matters

What’s Happening in the World Economy: China’s ‘Common Prosperity’ Pilot Zone - Bloomberg

Like that^ except keep the U.S. Social Security and Food Stamp program intact.

And I would suggest that the central government stop Texas from it's ass backwards abortion policy, by force if necessary but there's always that someone who will scream authoritarianism (Lion, tigers, Beijing, Moscow, oh my!) by actually having the balls to do something about long overdue issues. 

So the solution I guess for the U.S. would be to find more decentralized ways of dealing with issues, no?  Americans seem happy when D.C. cracks the boot on foreign nations but not it's own citizens apparently.

“If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other.” 

-Ulysses S. Grant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also for the slightly weird and wacky semi-political...

Ladbible - Celebrity billionaire Chinese actress Zhao Wei disappeared from history

Fortune - Beijing scrubbed one of China's most famous actors from the internet

One of China's biggest actors has been removed from the internet in the country, with no traces of her available to be seen.
Zhao Wei's entire existence has vanished, with any chat shows she appeared in scrubbed from the country's streaming sites.
On top of that, Chinese video platforms have removed films that starred or have been directed by the 45-year-old and she no longer appears in online credits for films she's been in.

*********

Late on Thursday evening, China’s video streaming giants scrubbed their archives of anything to do with Zhao Wei—a billionaire actress who rose to fame in the late 1990s to become one of the country’s most popular celebrities.

Tencent Video and iQiyi, China's most popular video streaming platforms, removed all films and TV series starring Zhao. Movie information sites stripped Zhao’s name from films that credit her as a director or producer. Twitter-like Weibo removed Zhao’s unofficial fan page.

Zhao’s sudden cancellation was reportedly prompted by an order from the National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA), the state-run regulator for entertainment. Beijing hasn’t given a reason for canceling Zhao.


  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm rather curious to know what Gromnir has to say about Texas' new abortion law and the Supreme Court's role in the situation. 

  • Gasp! 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Texas is now shown how states can ban guns  they will just allow anyone to sue person buying gun or anyone that helped person to buy gun for damages. Like for example gun is used in robbery then everyone in that state can sue shop that sold gun, manufacture that build the gun, truck company that shipped gun to store from which it was bought, and anyone that can be linked to help person to buy the gun in fist place.

So technically guns are legal but anybody selling / manufacturing / transporting them can face billions of dollars damages if gun is ever used in crime.

With same logic you probably will able to ban anything that is protected in constitution without actually banning them.

 

  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

I'm rather curious to know what Gromnir has to say about Texas' new abortion law and the Supreme Court's role in the situation. 

Pidesco you shouldnt judge other peoples culture. We must respect the sovereignty of other countries.... rich Capitalist Western countries arent the judge and jury of the world. You must check your privilege :teehee: 

Its not nice told being told you cant say the right thing about blatant laws in countries that are unacceptable and undermine human rights....now you know what I go through from  liberals and SJ activists :p

 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Texas is now shown how states can ban guns  they will just allow anyone to sue person buying gun or anyone that helped person to buy gun for damages. Like for example gun is used in robbery then everyone in that state can sue shop that sold gun, manufacture that build the gun, truck company that shipped gun to store from which it was bought, and anyone that can be linked to help person to buy the gun in fist place.

So technically guns are legal but anybody selling / manufacturing / transporting them can face billions of dollars damages if gun is ever used in crime.

With same logic you probably will able to ban anything that is protected in constitution without actually banning them.

 

Elerond the truth is you cannot implement gun control in the US in the way you can in other countries, I know your post is raising another issue but  I just saying that the reality and solution to mass shootings is not ever going to be about  " banning guns " as this legislation will never pass Congress 

You can invest more in the US in mental healthcare but that is all that you can do that will be realistically implemented in the majority of states 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Elerond the truth is you cannot implement gun control in the US in the way you can in other countries, I know your post is raising another issue but  I just saying that the reality and solution to mass shootings is not ever going to be about  " banning guns " as this legislation will never pass Congress 

You can invest more in the US in mental healthcare but that is all that you can do that will be realistically implemented in the majority of states 

Question is state legislative (like New York) to allow to people to sue anyone linked to sale of gun used in crime for damages even if person suing didn't suffer from the crime same way as Texas now allows people to sue abortion providers and people who helped person to abortion provider. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Elerond said:

Question is state legislative (like New York) to allow to people to sue anyone linked to sale of gun used in crime for damages even if person suing didn't suffer from the crime same way as Texas now allows people to sue abortion providers and people who helped person to abortion provider. 

That does sound unreasonable, it seems like it will create a system that will just lead to more illegal or secretive developments like backdoor abortion clinics 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

With same logic you probably will able to ban anything that is protected in constitution without actually banning them.

I think this already happened with most things supposedly protected by US constitution. 

166215__front.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Pidesco you shouldnt judge other peoples culture. We must respect the sovereignty of other countries.... rich Capitalist Western countries arent the judge and jury of the world. You must check your privilege :teehee: 

Its not nice told being told you cant say the right thing about blatant laws in countries that are unacceptable and undermine human rights....now you know what I go through from  liberals and SJ activists :p

 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hhn2lezcssu5swaf4l

  • Haha 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

Question is state legislative (like New York) to allow to people to sue anyone linked to sale of gun used in crime for damages even if person suing didn't suffer from the crime.

This sounds kinda dumb. What would the lawsuit be about if the person suing have no damages to be covered?

166215__front.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hhn2lezcssu5swaf4l

But on a serious note I always appreciate your views on topics that we sometimes disagree on because I know anyone can be wrong or misunderstand certain SJ legal decisions. So for example we may disagree on public sector school problems around pass rate in different countries or the positive outcomes of Capitalism but I try to understand different opinions based on real examples and reference points in any country. So for example I am opposed to socialism but not the success of the Nordic countries and your hybrid socialist\capitalist models...they do work and I wish we could echo your system but in SA we cant 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Live Afghanistan updates: U.S. could work with Taliban against terrorists, Pentagon says (msn.com)

🤣🤣🤣

How the narrative can change on a whim.  The federal government is nothing if not consistent.

Tucker Carlson praised the Chinese government for doing 'something virtuous' with its new restrictions on gaming and celebrity fandoms (msn.com)

...and even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Edited by ComradeYellow

“If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other.” 

-Ulysses S. Grant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Elerond said:

Texas is now shown how states can ban guns  they will just allow anyone to sue person buying gun or anyone that helped person to buy gun for damages. Like for example gun is used in robbery then everyone in that state can sue shop that sold gun, manufacture that build the gun, truck company that shipped gun to store from which it was bought, and anyone that can be linked to help person to buy the gun in fist place.

So technically guns are legal but anybody selling / manufacturing / transporting them can face billions of dollars damages if gun is ever used in crime.

With same logic you probably will able to ban anything that is protected in constitution without actually banning them.

 

I think most guns used in US crimes are unregistered, so establishing a chain of responsibility would be impossible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stats related to gun crimes is less likely to be accurate as you get more granular. am knowing the issue has been discussed previous when addressing the number o' gun homicides in the US. the fbi tracks such data based on surveys supplied to them by the literal thousands o' state and local departments across the nation. we got a pretty good notion o' how many gun homicides there were in the US in 2018 or more remote, and the surveys does at least ask police departments to distinguish firearms used as blunt force weapons. shotguns, handguns and long rifles is all having separate categories, but assault rifle, since is such a fluid descriptor, is not part o' the fbi stats. 

you would think that numbers related to registered v. unregistered would be known.

more important, and seeming more obvious, you would think numbers related to illegal possession o' a firearm in the commission o' a crime would be ez to track. 

have seen a couple guestimates 'bout unregistered firearms but the numbers is based on interviews and surveys with persons incarcerated in state and fed prisons, which obvious ignores the many criminals never caught. 

we didn't bother to check unregistered v. registered, and our personal knowledge which we has any confidence 'bout the issue is now dated beyond eight years remote, so perhaps somebody somewheres did a more comprehensive study with verifiable data. dunno. regardless, the more specific is your query regarding national crime stats, the more likely you is to be left with an unsatisfactory answer. our federal system which precludes the national government from exercising police power also makes tracking national crime data problematic. is no sinister cover up or anything similar. 

HA! Good Fun!

 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

This sounds kinda dumb. What would the lawsuit be about if the person suing have no damages to be covered?

As I understand it, that's what the Texas statute allows for their anti-abortion law; anyone can sue even if they do not have any connection to anyone else involved, and they can sue anyone in the chain (the doctor, the person who drove them their, the person receiving the abortion, the person who gave them money to get the abortion) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Amentep said:

 

As I understand it, that's what the Texas statute allows for their anti-abortion law; anyone can sue even if they do not have any connection to anyone else involved, and they can sue anyone in the chain (the doctor, the person who drove them their, the person receiving the abortion, the person who gave them money to get the abortion) 

the texas law is unconstitutional until SCOTUS overturns roe. is not actual a profound or divisive legal question. there should be a 5th circuit court willing to put the texas law on hold until the this mess is addressed. current silence from 5th circuit and SCOTUS is unbecoming and unjust even if is Constitutional to delay.

the easiest way to think o' the texas right to sue anybody in causal chain is to liken it to a bounty. texas effective deputized all citizens to root out the criminals who break the law and then to sue those criminals for what amounts to a $10k reward.

as to employer giving money, criminal requires intent. give money must be accompanied with legal sufficient knowledge you is contributing to the commission of crime. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Amentep said:

 

As I understand it, that's what the Texas statute allows for their anti-abortion law; anyone can sue even if they do not have any connection to anyone else involved, and they can sue anyone in the chain (the doctor, the person who drove them their, the person receiving the abortion, the person who gave them money to get the abortion) 

That's exactly it. It's why I'd like to read Gromnir's view on the law. It seems absolutely insane.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

stats related to gun crimes is less likely to be accurate as you get more granular. am knowing the issue has been discussed previous when addressing the number o' gun homicides in the US. the fbi tracks such data based on surveys supplied to them by the literal thousands o' state and local departments across the nation. we got a pretty good notion o' how many gun homicides there were in the US in 2018 or more remote, and the surveys does at least ask police departments to distinguish firearms used as blunt force weapons. shotguns, handguns and long rifles is all having separate categories, but assault rifle, since is such a fluid descriptor, is not part o' the fbi stats. 

you would think that numbers related to registered v. unregistered would be known.

more important, and seeming more obvious, you would think numbers related to illegal possession o' a firearm in the commission o' a crime would be ez to track. 

have seen a couple guestimates 'bout unregistered firearms but the numbers is based on interviews and surveys with persons incarcerated in state and fed prisons, which obvious ignores the many criminals never caught. 

we didn't bother to check unregistered v. registered, and our personal knowledge which we has any confidence 'bout the issue is now dated beyond eight years remote, so perhaps somebody somewheres did a more comprehensive study with verifiable data. dunno. regardless, the more specific is your query regarding national crime stats, the more likely you is to be left with an unsatisfactory answer. our federal system which precludes the national government from exercising police power also makes tracking national crime data problematic. is no sinister cover up or anything similar. 

HA! Good Fun!

 

Im not  sure I understand what point you making? But the most important reality and point I assume you making is " banning guns wont really stop the gun violence or mass shootings  significantly  because their is an established black market in the US where you can buy guns from  " so all you do is prevent legitimate gun owners from protecting themselves from people armed with illegal guns when you want to ban guns

We have the exact same issue in SA so I understand it  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BruceVC said:

Im not  sure I understand what point you making? But the most important reality and point I assume you making is " banning guns wont really stop the gun violence or mass shootings  significantly  because their is an established black market in the US where you can buy guns from  " so all you do is prevent legitimate gun owners from protecting themselves from people armed with illegal guns when you want to ban guns

We have the exact same issue in SA so I understand it  

our only point is that if you make statements 'bout the percentage o' unregistered or illegal guns used in US crimes, you are likely gonna need rely on incomplete data. is not a criticism or show o' approval regarding any gun issue being discussed. such data should exist. such numbers should be readily available so that legislators and citizens may make informed decisions. no such data or evidence exits which is genuine reliable.

am doing no more than recognizing how US crime stats, other than extreme broad generalizations, is gonna be matters o' conjecture more than fact, and "common sense" often leads to exact wrong conclusions. 

HA! Good Fun!

  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

our only point is that if you make statements 'bout the percentage o' unregistered or illegal guns used in US crimes, you are likely gonna need rely on incomplete data. is not a criticism or show o' approval regarding any gun issue being discussed. such data should exist. such numbers should be readily available so that legislators and citizens may make informed decisions. no such data or evidence exits which is genuine reliable.

am doing no more than recognizing how US crime stats, other than extreme broad generalizations, is gonna be matters o' conjecture more than fact, and "common sense" often leads to exact wrong conclusions. 

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks for explaining in a summary because now  I understand what you saying

But just to add an  additional question, since we know  we dont have accurate data on the illegal guns in the US and also the illegal import of guns into the US, like how Mexican cartels do smuggle guns into the US, we cannot ever say how many illegal guns exist in the various black markets

So therefore legislators and citizens wont be able to ban legal guns because then you are denying the legitimate right of citizens to protect themselves. You can only do this in countries that dont  have established black markets . Do you agree?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/31/2021 at 6:40 PM, Guard Dog said:

Bernie Sanders once said that “it is immoral for anyone to be a millionaire“. He is a millionaire.

He said that fifty (!) years ago. His record has been pretty consistent throughout his career, and he definitely believes what he says. You may not agree with him, but that doesn't mean he's not genuine. Now if he suddenly started advocating for lower taxes after becoming a millionaire...

---

Edit: Forum layout tricked me into replying to a two days old post, thought it was fresh. Sorry for the off-topic.

Edited by Maedhros
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...