The All things Political Topic - The Night never knew that its end was fleet.

Amentep

24 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

No the purpose of the " backdoor " is different, one is for national security and the other is for cyber-espionage

Yeah, hey, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you, if you like. Once in a lifetime investment, really. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

44 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, hey, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you, if you like. Once in a lifetime investment, really. :yes:

Can I ask you a legitimate question? China is a  one party state with no freedom of speech, free media, transparent legal system, independent courts and  no human rights concerns and you have no legal recourse within China against the CCP

Countries like the EU and the USA are the opposite of this except for times of war or National security but even then citizens do generally have rights

Do you not see a  difference and feel much more concerned about a backdoor created by the US NSA and the CCP because of these real distinctions?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Do you not see a  difference and feel much more concerned about a backdoor created by the US NSA and the CCP because of these real distinctions?

I'm not more concerned about an NSA backdoor than I am about a Chinese one. From an outsider's point of view, there is no difference at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 3

12 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'm not more concerned about an NSA backdoor than I am about a Chinese one. From an outsider's point of view, there is no difference at all.

But what if the Chinese install killallnerds.exe and replace Sailor Moon with The Leader?

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

But what if the Chinese install killallnerds.exe and replace Sailor Moon with The Leader?

Then there's no Sailor Moon any more, which would be incredibly tragic, but it beats UseDroneToBlowUpMyWedding.exe by a long shot. :yes:

Just a matter of perspecitve, I guess. When you're in the US and the only thing you need to worry about is NSA goons IM'ing themselves your nude pictures, perhaps that's a tad different from other locations on the planet. Maybe. But what do I know. :p

• Gasp! 2

If you're not doing anything wrong, don't fear the Reaper. 

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

Then there's no Sailor Moon any more, which would be incredibly tragic, but it beats UseDroneToBlowUpMyWedding.exe by a long shot. :yes:

Just a matter of perspecitve, I guess. When you're in the US and the only thing you need to worry about is NSA goons IM'ing themselves your nude pictures, perhaps that's a tad different from other locations on the planet. Maybe. But what do I know. :p

I guess you don't want your wedding to be a blast.

More to the point, the US government likes to spy on activists (particularly environmental) and does have a record of imprisoning such people. I've known someone to have gotten a visit from the feds for Twitter posts. So phones are very much a cop and you should not trust them.

• Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Spoiler

firefox_FWOkq96q8N.png

Silly little cartoon, but made me really consider the idea that solar power is really the only thing that can actually grant you power autonomy on a long-term basis. Everything else, 99.99% of people are dependent on corporations' (or governments') infrastructure and logistical capabilities and having those entities keeping that entire system running. While solar power may still require acquiring and getting the actual tech up and running, it's really the only thing your average home-owning person can do to make themselves less dependent on that system. Where it makes sense and where local governments don't try to restrict it, of course. Couldn't help but think back to @Guard Dog and his previously mentioned use of solar power, and it was like, yeah, okay, I kind of get it now.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 minutes ago, Malcador said:

If you're not doing anything wrong, don't fear the Reaper. 

Have a cover, then!

11 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

More to the point, the US government likes to spy on activists (particularly environmental) and does have a record of imprisoning such people. I've known someone to have gotten a visit from the feds for Twitter posts. So phones are very much a cop and you should not trust them.

But KP surely you must see that this was for the good of the US ! Their's nothing wrong with that. Just imagine being abducted by unmarked vans like in China !

3 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Good to see the masks are finally coming off

Those came off a long time ago for Captain Fascist here.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Just now, majestic said:

Have a cover, then!

But KP surely you must see that this was for the good of the US ! Their's nothing wrong with that. Just imagine being abducted by unmarked vans like in China !

Okay, for linking that you need to be droned!

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
  Hide contents

firefox_FWOkq96q8N.png

Couldn't help but think back to @Guard Dog and his previously mentioned use of solar power, and it was like, yeah, okay, I kind of get it now.

In the winter months I don’t have an electric bill. If I had a regular power company I would actually be selling power to them. Unfortunately it’s a co-op so no check for me. The only thing that sucks is dealing with the batteries. But it really depends on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole. I went pretty deep.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

52 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Good to see the masks are finally coming off

Hoonding its rude  to misquote people and I know how much you hate being rude :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The funny thing is that Xiaomi probably does have residual censorship software on it, since it is a requirement for them being sold in China. But that's to prevent Chinese people doing things like compare Xi to a chubby fictional ursine or sharing pictures of tank man, not to delete a Lithuanian's A A Milne collection and it's pretty much certain that they simply cannot do that outside of China. They've got plenty of utterly counterproductive wumao shouty men to complain about the Winnie the Pooh comparisons in the western internet instead.

That's both low practical effect and extremely low exposure compared to all the backdoors US companies have in them. You can barely buy a chip without a built in NSA backdoor now- eg IME/ PSP for Intel/ AMD- nor networking gear, and pretty much the sole reason for Windows 11 existing is to force default adoption of the thoroughly compromised TPM in the name of 'security'. OK, that last one is also largely to give MS the ability to vet everything on your computer which has a commercial purpose too, but you can readily guess who will be piggybacking that capability and it won't be PLA Unit 61398. Until they inevitably hack either the NSA (as the Russians did, and for which you can thank most of the spate of ransomware attacks that use filched NSA tools) or the backdoors directly, at least, and assuming they haven't already.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Does anyone else think that Hoonding is really just JESawyer's burner account?

I do know.

The downside of working only 40 hour work weeks, too much time to read news related stuff and watch youtube 😝

Edit: This is from '60 Minutes' (Australia)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The funny thing is that Xiaomi probably does have residual censorship software on it, since it is a requirement for them being sold in China. But that's to prevent Chinese people doing things like compare Xi to a chubby fictional ursine or sharing pictures of tank man, not to delete a Lithuanian's A A Milne collection and it's pretty much certain that they simply cannot do that outside of China. They've got plenty of utterly counterproductive wumao shouty men to complain about the Winnie the Pooh comparisons in the western internet instead.

That's both low practical effect and extremely low exposure compared to all the backdoors US companies have in them. You can barely buy a chip without a built in NSA backdoor now- eg IME/ PSP for Intel/ AMD- nor networking gear, and pretty much the sole reason for Windows 11 existing is to force default adoption of the thoroughly compromised TPM in the name of 'security'. OK, that last one is also largely to give MS the ability to vet everything on your computer which has a commercial purpose too, but you can readily guess who will be piggybacking that capability and it won't be PLA Unit 61398. Until they inevitably hack either the NSA (as the Russians did, and for which you can thank most of the spate of ransomware attacks that use filched NSA tools) or the backdoors directly, at least, and assuming they haven't already.

This has got to  be one of the only US based forums where people can suggest the US is a more repressive society than China and the CCP control of their media and IT  narrative  state is " because the CCP dont like unflattering pictures of Xi " and no one really cares :lol:

But I did get a good laugh so thanks Zora and I appreciate that because its a public holiday in SA

And you  know the litmus test for unabashed CCP propaganda and spin, when Comrade likes your post so thanks for confirming again your ideological views. Dont ever change :thumbsup:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Confused 1

John Milton 

6 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Does anyone else think that Hoonding is really just JESawyer's burner account?

I dont know about that but he does have good sense of humor when he tries to invoke a reaction 

John Milton 

15 hours ago, BruceVC said:

This has got to  be one of the only US based forums where people can suggest the US is a more repressive society than China and the CCP control of their media and IT  narrative  state is " because the CCP dont like unflattering pictures of Xi " and no one really cares :lol:

But I did get a good laugh so thanks Zora and I appreciate that because its a public holiday in SA

And you  know the litmus test for unabashed CCP propaganda and spin, when Comrade likes your post so thanks for confirming again your ideological views. Dont ever change :thumbsup:

Few people living in the United States have a real UNDERSTANDING of the United States. Most of them run with an expand on ideas they heard from somewhere else. Despite the evidence of their own eyes. Hell even I’ve fallen into that trap from time to time.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Except nobody at all was suggesting that the US is a more repressive state than China, that's just Bruce being his disingenous self.

Not being fine with giving our Corporate Overlords the ability to assume direct control over our computers (which is what Zoraptor expressed, in part) has nothing to do with approving repressive policies or genocide. Here's the one time the slippery slope argument makes sense, and nobody's using it because "China way worse" - which is really true, but by far and large also irrelevant to criticisms of US espionage and security equipment compromising backdoors.

Like I said, I don't want Microsoft to be able to restrict what I can do on my computers. I also don't want to live in China, and I don't approve of their politics. These are not mutually exclusive.

Also, wat, how are you of all people not concerned about the government's ability to spy on you willy nilly, or dicate what you can or cannot do on any electronic device you have? Do you trust them to not abuse the ability to do so? Bruce sure does. I don't... nobody should.

Unless I misread you, then I apologize in advance.

• Like 5