The All things Political Topic - The Night never knew that its end was fleet.

Amentep

12 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

@Gorth

It's somewhat the same here up North, but I'd say the smaller parties have a decent degree of influence though, since the biggest parties are often reliant on them in coalitions to win elections. Meaning they have to concede some of the overall power to them if they want their support. Or are you talking about the absolute looney extremes? They're completely marginalized here too, luckily. Our threshold is 4%, so it's a bit harder for them to overcome it.

It's actually election day in Norway today, seems like we'll have a Left-Centre government for the first time in 8 years. Not that it will change much (I think). The two biggest parties here, The Social Democrats (Arbeiderpartiet) and Right (Conservatives) actually see eye to eye on pretty much everything important except on taxes.

It’s similar here (Denmark) with the coalitions. Usually creating a centre-left or a centre-right coalition, leaving the fringe left and right parties to be heard, but without too much influence (this was 20 years ago, not sure how things are today). I remember government and opposition coalitions sometimes making deals across the parliament to ensure certain legislation would stay untouched regardless who won the next election (usually some wide ranging compromises about important national issues)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

House Democrats Set to Propose Corporate Tax Rate of 26.5%.

Yaaas! Tax these fatcats and get that UBI, UHC, (UFE) Universal Free Education, (UMF) Universal Mortgage Forgiveness and (UFG) Universal Free Groceries started! That should just about cover most of my inalienable god given rights.

I filled out my California recall election ballot. I voted no on the recall, which is a pretty easy choice. I am pretty comfortable voting Newsome out of office at the end of his term if someone can put together a decent campaign against him, but this recall circus is a waste of time and money. There were 46 random crazies on the ballot. What a joke. I think the front runner is a guy with a grizzly bear.

Edited by Hurlsnot

7 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I filled out my California recall election ballot. I voted no on the recall, which is a pretty easy choice. I am pretty comfortable voting Newsome out of office at the end of his term if someone can put together a decent campaign against him, but this recall circus is a waste of time and money. There were 46 random crazies on the ballot. What a joke. I think the front runner is a guy with a grizzly bear.

It seems odd that the state Lieutenant Governor wouldn't succeed a vacated office of the Governor. That's just asking for trouble.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 minute ago, rjshae said:

It seems odd that the state Lieutenant Governor wouldn't succeed a vacated office of the Governor. That's just asking for trouble.

The really troublesome part is there is no real Republican leadership in this state. Schwarzenegger had an actual team, agenda, and had been building his reputation in the party and the state for awhile when he came in through the recall election last time. It still ended up being a big waste of money and a circus. But this time it is a complete mess. I don't know if there is a minimum percentage of the vote a candidate needs, but it could be a very small percentage of the state gets to choose the governor.

The crazy thing is next year is an election year. So dumb. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

27 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Doesn't constantly telling all your voters that the elections are fraudulent just make them that less likely to bother voting in the first place? Didn't that literally play into why we currently have two Democratic senators from Georgia right now?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

9 hours ago, Malcador said:

Wonderful, so basically the front runner in the recall election is going to challenge the election if he loses in court, and then expects people to go to the ammo box if that fails. Classy. 

As California goes, so goes the nation. I guess this means every single election from now on will be accused of fraud and spend several months in court after it was supposed to end. Lmao.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Canadian politics also has its share of, uh, interesting people as well.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkb95z/this-guy-running-for-canadian-parliament-wants-men-not-to-ejaculate

Bernier is too desperate to grow his party, seems their vetting is making sure you have a pulse.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So basically a Saudi intelligence officer aided the 9/11 hijackers and the news hits low or nonexistent interest in the media and thus the public. Wonder what the scenario would have been if that was an Iranian or Iraqi intelligence officer. Oh wait...

Edited by Hildegard
  • Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

As California goes, so goes the nation. I guess this means every single election from now on will be accused of fraud and spend several months in court after it was supposed to end. Lmao.

Not every single election, just every single election the GOP loses.

Both sides, someone will, maybe, say.

• Hmmm 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/5-takeaways-from-newsoms-big-win-in-californias-recall-election/ar-AAOrS4z

Im glad Newsom won the Californian referendum resoundingly

I honestly would have expected that considering California is a  liberal, blue state and Elder suggested policies that seemed "un-California " for me 

So well done Democrat supporters for coming out in numbers :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Hildegard said:

So basically a Saudi intelligence officer aided the 9/11 hijackers and the news hits low or nonexistent interest in the media and thus the public. Wonder what the scenario would have been if that was an Iranian or Iraqi intelligence officer. Oh wait...

Its not so much that as  its true that their were and are Saudis that supported AQ and Islamic extremism. But its not the official policy of Saudi Arabia to fund and support any Islamic extremist  group as Saudi Arabia has also been targeted by the likes of AQ and ISIS since the beginning of the War on Terror. So the Saudis are an ally of the US in this conflict because they are also threatened 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Saudi_Arabia

Also its unlikely you would find Iranian fundamentalists aligning with AQ and ISIS because these groups are Sunni Muslims and Iran is predominantly  Shia  

But Iranian hardliners do target the US but its  a different threat to likes of the Sunni extremist groups 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/5-takeaways-from-newsoms-big-win-in-californias-recall-election/ar-AAOrS4z

Im glad Newsom won the Californian referendum resoundingly

I honestly would have expected that considering California is a  liberal, blue state and Elder suggested policies that seemed "un-California " for me 

So well done Democrat supporters for coming out in numbers :thumbsup:

democrats don't vote... or such was the ordinary case until the last Presidential election. one reason why arnold schwarznegger won the office o' governor in a recall election is 'cause democrats didn't vote then either. in the past, democrats rare came out to vote unless a candidate somehow did the unthinkable and inspired hope. 

am thinking the gop needs be a bit concerned. all their shenanigans with voting restrictions and past gerrymandering is gonna be for naught in national elections if democrats come out and vote, 'cause math says there is more democrats than republicans. elder's "un-california" policies, which a few years ago woulda' been sounding all kinda fringe even for a gop candidate, were all kinda trumpy. not fringe. in california, democrats did what they almost never do: they voted. the reason why they voted is 'cause the polarization embraced by the nation has a significant % o' people genuine afraid what will happen to them if the other guys win. 

counter-intuitive, but trump is good for democrats. trump candidates and trump and trump politics has people frightened enough to vote. no longer need a democrat candidate who inspires hope. trumpy candidates inspire enough fear to convince democrats to vote.

california is also one o' those states which mails ballots to pretty much every age-appropriate individual with a valid driver's license. ca might be misleading, but georgia during the last presidential election saw historic kinda turnout and that were after stacy abrahms successful championed near universal managed mail-in ballots sent to folks with a valid driver's license.  democrats in washington dc maybe need be a bit more strategic and focused with their voting rights efforts. trump candidates is gonna encourage democrats who typical do not bother to vote to exercise the franchise. even so, is human nature to be lazy. the more hurdles there is to voting, the less likely young people in particular will do so. am knowing democrats wanna enshrine a laundry list o' voting rights to endure for perpetuity, but am thinking if you get legislation passed which would guarantee universal mail-in registration/ballots, that would be an enormous win and coupled with trumpy candidates who has democrats afraid the next senator or President is gonna be a pro-insurrectionist and anti-vaxxer is enough motivation to convince democrats to use their mail-in options. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Prop 187 and Pito Wilson effect in overdrive, in essence.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

11 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Not every single election, just every single election the GOP loses.

Both sides, someone will, maybe, say.

Even in elections they've won, they've been pushing the voter fraud angle hard to pass voter suppression measures. Elder was doing it before the election even happened. This is going to be the new normal, either because they lost and want the courts to hand them victory or because they want to keep winning by making voting exceedingly difficult, particularly for groups who do not typically vote gop.

If there is a both sides to this, it's that Democrats are so useless they can't or won't make any effort to stop it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Australia is going to build new nuclear submarines after an agreement with the US and UK on tech transfer. Hopefully they'll at least be as meme worthy as their previous effort, the Collins class. Not quite the massive leap that the media is making it out to be either, since it shows that the attempts to turn 5eyes into a military alliance instead of just an intelligence sharing one have failed. Ironically, while it would have been a very long shot to get NZ into any alliance post Rainbow Warrior anyway the reason Canada isn't there is almost certainly because the US would have to give Canada the same nuke sub tech, and they don't want to.

Best moment: Joe Biden completely forgetting Scott Morrison's name and having to refer to Boris and '... ... that guy from downunder... the.. .. Prime Minister'.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Best moment: Joe Biden completely forgetting Scott Morrison's name and having to refer to Boris and '... ... that guy from downunder... the.. .. Prime Minister'.

Hah, thought I imagined that, was eating dinner and half listening.

4 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Biden is lucky... I wish *we* could forget that this corrupt, lying no good waste of oxygen, water and carbon molecules exists 😠

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Biden is lucky... I wish *we* could forget that this corrupt, lying no good waste of oxygen, water and carbon molecules exists 😠

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/15/biden-uk-to-help-australia-acquire-nuclear-submarines/

You see Gothfuscious, its like I told you. Oz may be a country of criminal descendants but the West wont abandon its real friends in the geopolitical arena and concerns about Chinese hegemony 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Joe Biden has ‘great confidence’ in top general Milley after Trump revelation | Joe Biden | The Guardian

A general with integrity, haven't heard stories like that since what?  The Civil War?

The majority of US generals have integrity and I am surprised you dont like Milley more because he specifically and prudently reached out to China to prevent an unintentional nuclear crisis if Trump went rogue after  not accepting the 2020 election results

Trump wants him charged for treason for contacting his equivalent general in the CCP

This is according to Bob Woodwards latest book " Peril " 

John Milton