New boss bug that chills in the Haze

Here's the idea, in the haze roams a praying mantis that has been affected by that weird fungus that's all over the place there. He attacks on sight with slashes, lunges, and stabs with his "scythe like" arms and occasionally flies up for a moment to come crashing down with a huge slashing attack. The loots that comes from killing the mantis could be two mantis arms or something and the player could craft those into mini hand scythes that works with the "assassin" mutation or a big two and handed version that works with the "javelineer" mutation. A possible name for the boss could be the "Haze Reaper" and the name of the weapon could be the "Haze Reapers' Right/Left Hand".

Give it a pollen effect so that way it hides better in the haze.bi don't know about the horsehair worm as if any parasite is gonna be in the haze it would be the fungus mutating weevils and mites.  Maybe the pollen effect would be triggered by fungus nodes.

If you see light at the end of the tunnel get out of the road!

I'm all for a boss in the haze, but I feel like we need to be able to craft a full set of armor that doesn't take damage over time from the haze itself (think hazmat suit). As it stands, a haze boss will basically have a built-in enrage timer, since any armor we wear will take damage over time.

I'm actually not against the idea of an enrage timer either, but the broodmother doesn't have one (afaik), so it doesn't seem like something obsidian wants. I could easily be wrong on that though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 4:18 PM, AugspaCussh said:

I'm all for a boss in the haze, but I feel like we need to be able to craft a full set of armor that doesn't take damage over time from the haze itself (think hazmat suit). As it stands, a haze boss will basically have a built-in enrage timer, since any armor we wear will take damage over time.

I'm actually not against the idea of an enrage timer either, but the broodmother doesn't have one (afaik), so it doesn't seem like something obsidian wants. I could easily be wrong on that though.

To counter that it could have a boss arena similar to the Broodmother, and the arena could be haze free and the Mantis could have a move where it just slices through some mushrooms to create a low visibility spore cloud or maybe it temporarily releases some extra thick haze from itself that's only around for a bit, could enter a hit and run phase while it's like that too, just some ideas though since that would mean there's not a built-in enrage timer but the boss would still be able to give the same "there's something in the fog" vibes. also not related directly to what you said just the boss but since it's living in the haze which is also a fungal area the summon item for the haze boss should be a mix of bug the infecting fungus.

Edited by Cringe
  • Like 2

Whenever they make a haze boss part of the loot you get from killing it needs to be a permanent gas mask. So, one that does not get weathered with use. Because EVERYONE wants to build a base in the gas! And its just not viable right now with having to wear gas masks that die over time.

1 hour ago, Pieter Clark said:

Whenever they make a haze boss part of the loot you get from killing it needs to be a permanent gas mask. So, one that does not get weathered with use. Because EVERYONE wants to build a base in the gas! And its just not viable right now with having to wear gas masks that die over time.

Maybe give a perk instead. Like how brood mother gives you mama genes. Either have it block the damage to your clothing or give you immunity to the fog or heck maybe include a blueprint that gives your armour immunity like ladybug face mask+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you see light at the end of the tunnel get out of the road!

On 8/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, Cringe said:

To counter that it could have a boss arena similar to the Broodmother, and the arena could be haze free and the Mantis could have a move where it just slices through some mushrooms to create a low visibility spore cloud or maybe it temporarily releases some extra thick haze from itself that's only around for a bit, could enter a hit and run phase while it's like that too, just some ideas though since that would mean there's not a built-in enrage timer but the boss would still be able to give the same "there's something in the fog" vibes. also not related directly to what you said just the boss but since it's living in the haze which is also a fungal area the summon item for the haze boss should be a mix of bug the infecting fungus.

Giving it an area inside the haze (like a boss room) would work very nicely. I'd also be really excited to see different phases of the boss, including one where the room fills with haze. In fact, there could even be a mechanic built around that, where you have to ventilate the room somehow (perhaps an exhaust fan above that requires a switch somewhere in the room to activate). I hope we do see something like this in game, because these ideas sound like an exciting boss fight tbh.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 5:27 PM, ScritchOwl said:

Maybe give a perk instead. Like how brood mother gives you mama genes. Either have it block the damage to your clothing or give you immunity to the fog or heck maybe include a blueprint that gives your armour immunity like ladybug face mask+

The last part is similar to my thoughts on it. It would be cool if we could discover alternate recipes for the same armor, but the new ingredients add new buffs at the expense of the old one. Ideally, the set buff would remain unchanged, but you could customize the individual buff per piece depending on which recipe you use. To use the ladybug faceplate for example: instead of the ladybug head, use a stinkbug part to give a bit less defense overall, but haze immunity instead of block strength.

• Like 1