Coronavirus 666: The Number of the Delta Variant (but in an entirely scientific context)

Amentep

14 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

And there is no proof that vaccine prevents hospitalizations and death of people that would be hospitalized or would die without it when infected.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-54-of-hospital-patients-with-virus-are-fully-vaccinated-1.4670229

Whereas in January up to 50 people ended up in hospital for every 1,000 Covid-19 cases, now fewer than 20 hospitalisations occur for the same number of cases.

“But for the vaccination programme, hospitals would have been overwhelmed,” Dr Henry said. “The impact is also clear in terms of reduced translation of numbers of cases into patients who require intensive care.”

About 90 per cent of the adult population has received a full course of vaccination, either two doses or one. People are considered fully vaccinated one week after their second dose of Pfizer vaccine, or two weeks after receiving any of the other three authorised vaccines.

For every vaccinated person requiring admission to hospital with a breakthrough infection, vaccines avert 10 to 12 other severe infections and hospital admissions, Prof Philip Nolan of the National Public Health Emergency Team estimated last month.

5nhrdu.jpg

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, looks like Skarpen may need to brush up on some remedial stats.

FTR, just reverse those Irish stats and it becomes obvious how silly that argument is- 44% of admissions are unvaccinated. You'd Expect 10% unvaccinated --> 10% hospitalisations if the vaccine had no effect; as it stands it's the small matter of 4.4x that.

In reality vaccines don't stop the virus wholesale, but they do reduce symptoms and as a consequence transmission- fewer symptoms such as coughing, and the virus is cleared a lot quicker so you're also a lot less likely to spread it.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

5nhrdu.jpg

Some folks are just incapable of reading past the headline.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://www.visiontimes.com/2021/07/04/deaths-hospital-vaccinated-uk.html

@Zoraptor and others that understand much about this virus 

What do you make of  this link, basically someone sent it to me based on a view that " vaccinations lead to more deaths or an equal number of deaths ". I dont understand if its true based on  what the article is saying?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.visiontimes.com/2021/07/04/deaths-hospital-vaccinated-uk.html

@Zoraptor and others that understand much about this virus 

What do you make of  this link, basically someone sent it to me based on a view that " vaccinations lead to more deaths or an equal number of deaths ". I dont understand if its true based on  what the article is saying?

That writer of that article has clear agenda.

As vaccination prioritization was that oldest and those who belong risks groups were first to be vaccinated and those who have lowest risk from the disease get vaccination in last. So people who had received two dozes of vaccination in June 14 had higher risk to die to covid than most of those who were unvaccinated. Death rate among this group before vaccination was in England from 1.9% to 24%, from which it is dropped to 0.6%. Death rate among non-risk groups were from 0.0001% to 0.066%. So among risk groups death rate has dropped massively and death rate of unvaccinated people is higher than what death rate was during worst times of pandemic among non-risk groups.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

240490415_10223765644663394_844554977716

Thats hilarious, Im going to share that :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

FDA authorizes bamlanivimab and etesevimab monoclonal antibody therapy for post-exposure prophylaxis (prevention) for COVID-19

Apparently the hydroxychloroquine/ivermectin/anti-vaxxer gang has latched onto this as the latest panacea treatment for COVID-19. The difference this time is this actually shows some (albeit preliminary) positive results by preventing a statistically significant portion of the infected from being hospitalized.

The irony is that the same people raging against Big Pharma pursuing expensive treatments for COVID-19 have gravitated toward an expensive treatment from Big Pharma, rather than getting vaccinated. Strange logic. I suspect that this treatment will not be available to low income, uninsured people.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2378385803832/new-zealand-police-arrest-pair-trying-to-enter-auckland-with-large-amount-of-kfc

NZ is descending into a criminal nightmare......when will it end? Now police have been forced  to arrest people smuggling KFC!!! The depravity of the criminal mind never ceases to concern me

@Gorth

You lucky you live in Australia, at least you dont have to deal with KFC cartels !!!

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

John Milton 

SA is down to 1500 new cases a day which basically  means the third wave is over ....until the fourth wave starts which is inevitable  because of our low vaccination, less than 30 %,  rate and overall failure to adhere to basic mask wearing and social distancing in certain places 

This pandemic is incredibly frustrating because of how we seem to just repeat the same approach and then have to deal with wave after wave and our economy never recovers properly . But the virus will be with all of us for a while but at least with a high vaccination rate, 65%-70%, life can "return to normal " like you see in the UK

And just to be clear that doesnt mean the virus wont spread but your deaths and hospitalizations are vastly reduced 

John Milton 

On 9/21/2021 at 5:45 PM, BruceVC said:

You lucky you live in Australia, at least you dont have to deal with KFC cartels !!!

Australia is probably one of the few places in the world that has no Burger Kings.

Edit: When they wanted to start up franchises down here, they found out there was already a small burger place with the name and they didn't want to sell it 😁

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Gorth said:

Australia is probably one of the few places in the world that has no Burger Kings.

And thats a good thing right .....less criminal cartels to worry about ?

For those that feel overwhelmed about the future and when and how this pandemic will end their are some real good news stories from countries where " life has returned ". Here is a good link about the UK and the real future with how we can live with the virus and eventually moving on ( Im not sure if I posted it already but it is a summary of my current view )

https://www.thestkittsnevisobserver.com/uk-high-vaccination-rate-also-high-covid-rate-overhaul-of-international-travel-rules-expected-world-stats-more/

John Milton 

17 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

For those that feel overwhelmed about the future and when and how this pandemic will end

Honest opinion time... people today are soft 😠

Try spending the first 30 years of your life never knowing if you're going to wake up tomorrow or end up as the proverbial shadow on a wall before daylight.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/P05395.013_Hiroshima_Japan.jpg

All that worrying about a virus that is both avoidable (if people could get out of their cozy little comfort zones) and at this point in time also treatable (as in treat the symptoms, not to be confused with cured)  in those parts of the world where you can afford throw money at problems (like, having actual, workable healthcare systems). Yet, it's the latter part of the world that whinges the loudest for some reason.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

15 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Honest opinion time... people today are soft 😠

Try spending the first 30 years of your life never knowing if you're going to wake up tomorrow or end up as the proverbial shadow on a wall before daylight.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/P05395.013_Hiroshima_Japan.jpg

All that worrying about a virus that is both avoidable (if people could get out of their cozy little comfort zones) and at this point in time also treatable (as in treat the symptoms, not to be confused with cured)  in those parts of the world where you can afford throw money at problems (like, having actual, workable healthcare systems). Yet, it's the latter part of the world that whinges the loudest for some reason.

I hear you but I not sure  how comparisons to life in Hiroshima helps us deal  with the global reality of the lockdowns, deaths, long term Covid  and huge economic impact that this pandemic has caused. Its a form of " whataboutism " which I find rarely is relevant to a current societal woe 

But I agree certain types of complaints do come from first world countries that have at least got first world working healthcare but arent  these concerns also more prevalent because freedom of speech is trenchant and recognized and normal in first world countries so you would expect to see this?

And  more concerning is even if you hear less complaints from countries with huge societal and economic problems that wont stop the virus spreading and it wont stop variants ....so globally we have to be concerned with  the pandemic and "life returning to normal " ...its  an objective for the global community and not just wealthy countries 

John Milton 

22 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

And  more concerning is even if you hear less complaints from countries with huge societal and economic problems that wont stop the virus spreading and it wont stop variants ....so globally we have to be concerned with  the pandemic and "life returning to normal " ...its  an objective for the global community and not just wealthy countries 

People in those countries appear to have way less self entitlement issues, than people in more fortunate places.

Edit: And the point wasn't about life in Hiroshima post 1945, but life in Western Europe post 1960, which just so happened to be located next to The Soviet Union and having at best, at any moment of every day, 30 minutes warning before your reality looked like the picture.

Edit2: And yes, that was a bit of a concern and something people worried a bit about.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gorth said:

People in those countries appear to have way less self entitlement issues, than people in more fortunate places.

Edit: And the point wasn't about life in Hiroshima post 1945, but life in Western Europe post 1960, which just so happened to be located next to The Soviet Union and having at best, at any moment of every day, 30 minutes warning before your reality looked like the picture.

Edit2: And yes, that was a bit of a concern and something people worried a bit about.

Okay, I misunderstood the image 

Yes in the Cold War the threat of nuclear holocaust was real and indubitably anxiety was much worse 

John Milton 

I remember several years ago, for whatever reason out of the blue, my kid got concerned about NK nukes. I explained our missile defense capabilities and told her we would shoot the s**t down and then go send their country back to the stone ages. It was all good after that. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I remember several years ago, for whatever reason out of the blue, my kid got concerned about NK nukes. I explained our missile defense capabilities and told her we would shoot the s**t down and then go send their country back to the stone ages. It was all good after that. 

Sometimes the truth is always the best way to alleviate these types of concerns 

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Sometimes the truth is always the best way to alleviate these types of concerns 

agreed, but what does that observation have to do with the post you quoted?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

agreed, but what does that observation have to do with the post you quoted?

HA! Good Fun!

That the US has superior military capabilities and an nuclear attack by NK on the USA wouldn't destroy it but the US response would annihilate NK, kind of obvious ?

John Milton 

45 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

That the US has superior military capabilities and an nuclear attack by NK on the USA wouldn't destroy it but the US response would annihilate NK, kind of obvious ?

is not same as the quoted material, is it? sure, US has overwhelming retaliatory capabilities, but that is only half o' what you quoted. ballistic missile defense has been anything but reliable in tests and the terrible reality is that the most effective nuke delivery strategy for nk is gonna be low tech--  back o' an ice cream truck or in a cargo ship or even a freaking high altitude balloon carrying a smallish but indiscriminate nuclear package according to a few nightmare scenarios. the truth is scary and unfortunate is not particular reassuring. 

'course, most american parents sell their kids on tales o' imaginary seasonal bringers of gifts, and they do so for years. am not an expert on parenting. we were brought up with a heavy dose o' folk lore and fairytales, but we were never lied to 'bout such stuff. but again, am not a parent expert. perhaps is best to sell 'em a fairytale rather than having 'em need face what those o' us who grew up during the cold war era had to live with. am suspecting is difficult to find anybody Gromnir's age or older who did not have nuclear holocaust nightmares more than once. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

is not same as the quoted material, is it? sure, US has overwhelming retaliatory capabilities, but that is only half o' what you quoted. ballistic missile defense has been anything but reliable in tests and the terrible reality is that the most effective nuke delivery strategy for nk is gonna be low tech--  back o' an ice cream truck or in a cargo ship or even a freaking high altitude balloon carrying a smallish but indiscriminate nuclear package according to a few nightmare scenarios. the truth is scary and unfortunate is not particular reassuring. 

'course, most american parents sell their kids on tales o' imaginary seasonal bringers of gifts, and they do so for years. am not an expert on parenting. we were brought up with a heavy dose o' folk lore and fairytales, but we were never lied to 'bout such stuff. but again, am not a parent expert. perhaps is best to sell 'em a fairytale rather than having 'em need face what those o' us who grew up during the cold war era had to live with. am suspecting is difficult to find anybody Gromnir's age or older who did not have nuclear holocaust nightmares more than once. 

HA! Good Fun!

Yes but Gromnir Gfted1 was making his teenage daughter feel better about something that wont ever happen but she was worried

I also dont have kids but you definitely wouldnt go into every detail that could only add to her anxiety

And their have been  predictive studies and analysis done if NK used Nukes on the USA and worse case scenarios and I can guarantee you Illinois would not be one of those states that NK nukes would reach so what he said is as truthful as it can be. Which is why I consider it the " truth " ....because its relative

John Milton