Anime - Oh No! Oh My God!

Amentep

CCS talk:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

So yeah, I'm not a hundred percent how necessary this whole change to being star-powered really was. Feels pretty random and like an ill-fitting "welp we need some kind of idea to weaken Sakura for a bit and to keep this going", :p.

It's more than that. It's also a pretty big plot point, so that's about the only thing I can say here.  

10 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

...Which, hey, I'm not against per se, but I think I'll probably come to understand what you mean by "the first two arcs worked perfectly while the third...not so much" in good time here, :).

It's not much of a spoiler, but a handful of episodes later a few things happen. First and most importantly, they drop the silly mystery act, and Yukito and Kero stay mostly in their normal form. That gets better, pretty soon.

Kero and Sakura don't figure out what's going on until much later, of course. Kero in particular has an episode that is really hilarious, but where he's so utterly stupid you can only wonder what the hell Clow Reed was thinking making him the Beast of the Seal. 

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

That's easy. There's the episode where Chibi-Usa has a mustache...the episode where Ami becomes a mechanic...the episode where Pegasus says he's no longer interested in Chibi-Usa because she's an adult now...the episode where the Amazon Trio are redeemed...and finally, the episode where Makoto yells and screams at that one kid. ...Wait, no, those were all terrible episodes. Uh, let's see here... The dentist episode, of course. The "Minako is cheating on Artemis" episode? ...I also want to say "the Minako is cheating on both of the Amazon trio goons" episode too, but I'm pretty sure that's the episode where...yeah, no. Um, the episode where...uh...they're trying to figure out who...Chibi-Usa's...secret boyfriend is?

Wow, SuperS really sucks.

23 minutes ago, majestic said:

You up for trying K-On! yet? :p Heh.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

lmao, just came back and realized I wrote "Minako is cheating on Artemis", but I meant the opposite, :skull:. The problem with picking "best" SuperS episodes is that there are some that are actually pretty solid, like the Minako episode or the Ami beach episode...right up until they're not. And I was trying to think and figure out "ok, what episodes does that problem NOT apply to", and I realized virtually none. It's either ruined by the Amazon trio or by a combination of Pegasus and Chibi-Usa. Pretty much leaves just the dentist episode.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

21 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's easy. There's the episode where Chibi-Usa has a mustache...the episode where Ami becomes a mechanic...the episode where Pegasus says he's no longer interested in Chibi-Usa because she's an adult now...the episode where the Amazon Trio are redeemed...and finally, the episode where Makoto yells and screams at that one kid. ...Wait, no, those were all terrible episodes. Uh, let's see here... The dentist episode, of course. The "Minako is cheating on Artemis" episode? ...I also want to say "the Minako is cheating on both of the Amazon trio goons" episode too, but I'm pretty sure that's one that's the episode where...yeah, no. Um, the episode where...uh...they're trying to figure out who...Chibi-Usa's...secret boyfriend is?

Wow, SuperS really sucks.

The biggest problem is that even the episodes that would otherwise be good have elements that bring it down hard. The episode where Diana shows up is funny until it assaults a nun. The "who is Chibi-Usa's secret boyfriend" episode would be hilarious if it wasn't a winged unicorn with a taste for little girls, and yeah, Minako double timing Tiger's-Eye and Hawk's-Eye is probably the best of the Amazon Trio episodes. Until, well, the assault*.

Gee, that leaves the dentist episode, Ami's and Rei's power up (Makoto and Minako get the short end of the stick, yay). Everything else requires to be generous to be on there. Kind of. 

Yes, SuperS really sucked. Wow. 

edit:

Lol, we posted the same thing at the same time. Not bad. 

edit 2:

*Just realized that's wrong. Until Chibi-Usa talks to Pegasus about having two boyfriends at once. Dear god, that horse...

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop.

Something this sweet was a real change of pace from whatever the hell Utena was. Which was great.

It's very bright, @Bartimaeus and @Sarex were not kidding about that. Once you get used to it though it does look good. There is a kinetic energy that emphasizes the silly aspects quite well, like BEAVER! getting chased by mall cops. The framing is top notch, this is a movie that treats animation like animation and really uses it to the most benefit.

As to the plot and characters, it's mostly a slice of life teenage romance which is not something I would usually go looking for but it works here. Without spoiling anything, none of the characters are Shinji tier introverts or robots like Anthy, just some weird kids and an old man looking for a record. It does a pretty good job of showing rather than telling and the payoffs feel nice.

Overall I'd say it's good. A nice drive at a reasonable speed that doesn't go anywhere unpleasant or turn so hard you get vertigo. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to watch a lighthearted movie and can adjust to getting hit with a very bright color palate.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

28 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop.

Something this sweet was a real change of pace from whatever the hell Utena was. Which was great.

It's very bright, @Bartimaeus and @Sarex were not kidding about that. Once you get used to it though it does look good. There is a kinetic energy that emphasizes the silly aspects quite well, like BEAVER! getting chased by mall cops. The framing is top notch, this is a movie that treats animation like animation and really uses it to the most benefit.

As to the plot and characters, it's mostly a slice of life teenage romance which is not something I would usually go looking for but it works here. Without spoiling anything, none of the characters are Shinji tier introverts or robots like Anthy, just some weird kids and an old man looking for a record. It does a pretty good job of showing rather than telling and the payoffs feel nice.

Overall I'd say it's good. A nice drive at a reasonable speed that doesn't go anywhere unpleasant or turn so hard you get vertigo. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to watch a lighthearted movie and can adjust to getting hit with a very bright color palate.

Hey the best slice of life is Clannad, you should watch it...trust me...the payoff is great.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

44 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Hey the best slice of life is Clannad, you should watch it...trust me...the payoff is great.

I'll trust you and I'll probably watch it next.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

That must have been some die roll for the bluff skill check. :p 

My perception is awful in the morning and at night.

• Haha 2

By the way, just like apparently only Nixon could go to China, uhm, only K-On! can pull off a song like this one:

I wish someone would have the actual scene from the episode, because it was hilarious, but hey, of course we can't have anything nice in YouTube. Like Sailor Moon clips. :(

• Gasp! 1

>Clannad

>harem

>looks like this

:no:

Just now, Bartimaeus said:

>Clannad

>harem

>looks like this

Considering what Kyoto Animation made out of the seinen K-On!, well... I would, uhm, sort of... normally I'd agree, but it's worth giving it the benefit of the doubt. Although that character design. Uhm, yeah. Dunno.

Not that long ago I would have agreed out of hand. Look what watching K-On! did to me. ;)

• Sad 1

Speaking of K-On!!, that school festival episode was simply amazing. The music was... fine, it was fine, the show was hilarious, and it feels like the culmination of an anime's worth of character development. The season isn't over yet, but it feels like it could end here without missing anything.

I also really don't want to continue watching the episode right now. It has like two minutes left, and that is probably going to include them realizing that it was the last school festival before graduation. Well, there's some stuff left and the school year isn't over, but, uhm... you know, sometimes these episodes go exactly the way they have to go because characters are the way they are.

Spoiler

2LldTit.png

No Yui, you won't. Guess she just figured out what she said, huh?

Ah, hell. Well played, show. Well played.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

>Clannad

>harem

>looks like this

Yeah, that's kind of judging the book by it's covers. It's been a while since I watched it but it's one of the better drama animated series. Also there is no harem, don't know where you got that from.

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

Yeah, that's kind of judging the book by it's covers. It's been a while since I watched it but it's one of the better drama animated series. Also there is no harem, don't know where you got that from.

That's almost quite literally all I do, :sorcerer:.

firefox_qUU4aqaWZu.png

It's low on the list of user-submitted votes for tags, but it's there! :p

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

Ah, hell. Well played, show. Well played.

Indeed. I bet you're looking forward to having to return to Love Live! after K-On is over, right? :shifty:

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

10 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Indeed. I bet you're looking forward to having to return to Love Live! after K-On is over, right? :shifty:

To be perfectly honest it's continuing Magic User's Club that I'm really looking forward to, once this K-On! stuff is over. Can't wait to get back to the good stuff, Love Live! is too tame with its complete lack of underwear shots. :yes:

edit:

I really should do something about that issue. I could try watching the first episode of Pretty Cure and then just stopping. Wouldn't that be fun? Just imagine if that fails. Yikes.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's almost quite literally all I do, :sorcerer:.

firefox_qUU4aqaWZu.png

It's low on the list of user-submitted votes for tags, but it's there! :p

Well Clannad is kind of a right of passage for anime watchers, kind of like NG:E. You should give it a go, maybe it surprises you.

Clannad episode 1.

Hmmm, nothing really put me off but the first episode is pretty slow. The main character's friend getting his ass kicked has been the highlight so far. 

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's low on the list of user-submitted votes for tags, but it's there!

What the **** is a love polygon?

46 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

What the **** is a love polygon?

Like a love triangle just with more involved parties would be my guess.

Clannad was based on a visual novel by a company that likes to make adult ones (although Clannad wasn't one of them), so maybe that's where the tags come from.

Anyway, I watched Lady Asuka episode 3: Biatch fight at Versailles.

That's pretty much all it was. The new Princess of France doesn't see eye to eye with the Countess du Barry, Louis XV's somewhat base born mistress who married the Count du Barry and allegedly poisoned him. There was also a pretty dress with which the countess attempted to impress Marie Antoinette. She just ignored her.

Well, that was... very intriguing. Get it? Because in... never mind.

I really should have gone for the mech anime.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

9 minutes ago, majestic said:

Like a love triangle just with more involved parties would be my guess.

Ohmygod.gif

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

I really should have gone for the mech anime.

JOTARO! THE SECRET OF HIS STAND IS-

ZA WARUDO!

14 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

JOTARO! THE SECRET OF HIS STAND IS-

ZA WARUDO!

I was looking for something to watch while doing cardio, and JoJo's doesn't work for that. Mostly, but not only because sweating profusely and reading subtitles doesn't always go well together, as it sitting on the ergometer. :yes:

I managed to get two episodes in, so now D'Arby the "Elder" (according to his name insert) is done and defeated. Kina guessing there'll be another one of them around, why else would he be called the Elder.

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

I managed to get two episodes in, so now D'Arby the "Elder" (according to his name insert) is done and defeated. Kina guessing there'll be another one of them around, why else would he be called the Elder.

If you're looking for Cardio Anime, try HiScore Girl.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Gasp! 1

9 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

If you're looking for Cardio Anime, try HiScore Girl.

That looks like something I wouldn't mind heaving sweat in my eyes when watching, at least. I mean, art style and animation wise, from a quick peek. :p

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

That looks like something I wouldn't mind heaving sweat in my eyes when watching, at least. I mean, art style and animation wise, from a quick peek. :p

It is very much uncanny valley, but it's a nice break from historical mean girls.

• Haha 1