Anime - Oh No! Oh My God!

Amentep

2 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

If he's old enough to watch YouTubers (who usually end up being creeps in one way or another), then he's old enough to watch Sailor Moon.

Well he's watching YouTube Kids, but eh, I can try. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

Well he's watching YouTube Kids, but eh, I can try. :p

The same applies.

Sailor Moon is a kids show, just avoid SuperS and Pedosus. Probably BRACK RADY as well.

Or just go all in and let him watch JoJo, I'm sure that won't have any adverse effects on him.

Or force him to watch TNG.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Watched "Words bubble up like soda pop". It's a feel good slice of life story about awkward teens. The animations are very bright and colorful and I liked them overall. The story is solid too. I would give it a warm recommend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Huh, forum ate my post that I (thought I) posted like half an hour ago...luckily, it saved a draft copy.

5 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

What's the status of medical or recreational marijuana in your state? While I've obviously never taken it because Texas is a dumbass hell world that rewards switching, I've heard from reliable sources that edibles of relatively small doses assist in both falling asleep and getting more restful sleep when it is virtually impossible for your body to just shut down even though you're exhausted.

Medical yes, recreational no. But it probably doesn't matter, because I don't historically do well with anything even slightly psychoactive (...really, even taking like just a melatonin makes me a bit out of my mind...and also very much unable to sleep), and my family has a history of paranoid schizophrenic episodes from marijuana, so it's probably sadly not a good idea. Well, actually, we have a history of schizophrenia in general, but marijuana induces symptoms in even the people that don't normally exhibit them, :p.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

There's still some hope, maybe I can corrupt my nephew when he's of the proper age. So far he likes watching DreamWorks' Spirit: Riding Free, and while I absolutely hate that CGI monstrosity with horses, it might a good sign.

Spirit isn't that bad... Of course, I've only seen (a lot of) it from watching it with my nieces and it's surely very superior to most other children's trash, :p. Definitely a very girly show, though...

32 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Watched "Words bubble up like soda pop". It's a feel good slice of life story about awkward teens. The animations are very bright and colorful and I liked them overall. The story is solid too. I would give it a warm recommend.

Them colors and backgrounds. Looks effective...at least at a glance.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

I didn't like it. Though maybe part of the reason for that is that I couldn't get into the art style. It just felt so meh to me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

49 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Spirit isn't that bad... Of course, I've only seen (a lot of) it from watching it with my nieces and it's surely very superior to most other children's trash, :p. Definitely a very girly show, though...

Well, yes, it is better than most trash made for children these days, but he's not really watching for the girly stuff though. His half-sister has her own horse and he's been tagging along her riding lessons ever since he was 4 or so. He's eight now, and likes the riding "action" scenes, and he has refused everything else I've tried to watch with him just so he stops watching these people on YouTube that kind of make me question my usually pacifistic disposition.

Still don't like it, it looks awful and the German dub is shrill and kills my ears, and I'm probably biased too, so there's that.

56 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Them colors and backgrounds. Looks effective...at least at a glance.

Netflix suggested the anime something fierce, I've ignored it so far. Still not sure if I want to try, even with the recommendation. That plot blurb on Netflix was kind of weird.

57 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Medical yes, recreational no. But it probably doesn't matter, because I don't historically do well with anything even slightly psychoactive (...really, even taking like just a melatonin makes me a bit out of my mind...and also very much unable to sleep), and my family has a history of paranoid schizophrenic episodes from marijuana, so it's probably sadly not a good idea. Well, actually, we have a history of schizophrenia in general, but marijuana induces symptoms in even the people that don't normally exhibit them, :p.

That does sound like it would be better not to try.

In my experience, buying marijuana is a waste of money. Just like with alcohol, I need to consume an exorbitant amount to feel something, and even then it's not nearly as much fun as everyone else seems to be having with it. It has the added advantage of not giving me alcohol poisoning in the attempt, so there's that, at least. Not that I particularily want to be drunk, I mean, I know how, uhm, awkward being around drunk people is.

Energy drinks also don't really seem to have the intended effects.

I haven't tried anything else, and I don't really want to, nor would I know where to get any of it. I just might be an utterly joyless person, except when watching the silly girly stuff, that always makes me laugh, or happy, or sad. :p

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Well than I don't have anything really to help you. Everything else I've tried for myself is mostly a miss.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Well than I don't have anything really to help you. Everything else I've tried for myself is mostly a miss.

My wife is taking diazepam for the times when she can't fall asleep, and she's out cold for hours afterwards, but... that's her last ditch anxiety medication in case nothing else works, and is kind of super addictive and all that. Plus it's prescription only (well, duh), so that's not very helpful information, I'm afraid.

The Keion club is organizing a tea party for the Mio Akiyama fan club, and it includes a Q&A session with Mio. She's being really nervous when she has to make a speech, then bites her tongue, which goes over really well with her fanclub, because they just love how all these curious and embarrassing things keep happening to her. The fan club can't possibly know these things happen for the benefit of the viewers, so that makes sense...

This is how she looks during the Q&A session:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYdgu63_uLM1fhkRZ-z2L

Heh. Poor Mio, I feel for you!

See, that's charcter growth in action, last season if anything like that would have happened she'd look like this:

kon31.jpg

:p

• Like 1

Unrelated:

Yptv3pW.jpeg

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Well, yes, it is better than most trash made for children these days, but he's not really watching for the girly stuff though. His half-sister has her own horse and he's been tagging along her riding lessons ever since he was 4 or so. He's eight now, and likes the riding "action" scenes, and he has refused everything else I've tried to watch with him just so he stops watching these people on YouTube that kind of make me question my usually pacifistic disposition.

Yeah, sorry, but I think your nephew should be considered a total loss at this point. Ah well.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

In my experience, buying marijuana is a waste of money. Just like with alcohol, I need to consume an exorbitant amount to feel something, and even then it's not nearly as much fun as everyone else seems to be having with it. It has the added advantage of not giving me alcohol poisoning in the attempt, so there's that, at least. Not that I particularily want to be drunk, I mean, I know how, uhm, awkward being around drunk people is.

Energy drinks also don't really seem to have the intended effects.

I haven't tried anything else, and I don't really want to, nor would I know where to get any of it. I just might be an utterly joyless person, except when watching the silly girly stuff, that always makes me laugh, or happy, or sad.

You've done more than me. The only thing I've ever had is an accidental sip of wine a handful of years back, which I sadly ingested a small amount of before I realized what it was. I've had a pretty hard-line anti-drug* stance since...forever, I guess, owing back to my lovely family history, :yes:.

*On a personal level - others are of course free to do as they please (and I'm pro-marijuana legalization, of course)...though I cannot/will not tolerate the ghastly smell of alcohol.

Yeah. Thanks, though - I'm probably just gonna get dementia in my 40s, no biggie.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

42 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Unrelated:

Yptv3pW.jpeg

Jotaro looks the same in his late 20s and in his 40s. Only DIO, an immortal vampire who put his head on the body of Johnathan Joestar, changes less through each season. I guess Jotaro was born as a 40 year old man.

42 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah. Thanks, though - I'm probably just gonna get dementia in my 40s, no biggie.

Look on the bright side, climate change will have probably killed us all by then.

I'm going to watch Utena here in a bit, but I think I'm going to take a break from 90's magical girls with Words bubble up like soda pop then rewatch JoJo so I can remember all the insane things that happened before Stone Ocean releases in December.

Oh, and Pucci looks like Akio to me.

400px-Pucci_New_Moon_Infobox_Manga.png

At least he doesn't **** his sister.

Just DIO

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, sorry, but I think your nephew should be considered a total loss at this point. Ah well.

I had a feeling like that when he rejected the original Star Warts and wanted to watch Clone Wars instead. Clone Wars is probably the best of all the new Star Wars stuff (not sure about Rebellion, and The Mandalorian was ok in the second season, but I liberally complained about the first), but it's still new Star Wars.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

You've done more than me. The only thing I've ever had is an accidental sip of wine a handful of years back, which I sadly ingested a small amount of before I realized what it was. I've had a pretty hard-line anti-drug* stance since...forever, I guess, owing back to my lovely family history, :yes:.

*On a personal level - others are of course free to do as they please (and I'm pro-marijuana legalization, of course)...though I cannot/will not tolerate the ghastly smell of alcohol.

Yeah, that makes sense, of course.

I initially tried drinking wine during a school trip, because ours didn't turn out to be fun, but a week of hell in a run down dorm on Malta. I figured out quickly that it doesn't help with either falling asleep or ingesting the mixture of protein and carbs they told us was food. I still don't know what it was, but it was on the level of the prison sludge with ****roaches in it you see in movies (the ****roaches were in our rooms too, though, so yay!).

MJ was the go-to recreational drug for our class in high school, more so than alcohol. Our legal drinking age is 16, by the way, just in case highschool and alcohol raises an eyebrow or two. When I think back to the fourth and fifth grade, we had like two out of like 22 students (one was me) who didn't regularily consume recreational drugs, and by that I mean at the very least twice a week, but usually more often.

Post lunch break most people in class weren't sober.

In the end, it's fine that neither works for me. Being competitive in video games did, ultimately, which was a nice distraction that proved to be more addictive for me than "normal" drugs.

7 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I'm going to watch Utena here in a bit, but I think I'm going to take a break from 90's magical girls with Words bubble up like soda pop then rewatch JoJo so I can remember all the insane things that happened before Stone Ocean releases in December.

How did either work out for you? I mean, Utena and Bubbles, not JoJo's, we know that already. :p

7 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

At least he doesn't **** his sister.

Akio comforts his sister, you know, so cut them some slack. Actually, that'll make sense eventually. The comforting part, at least, not the... the actual :x part. Yeah.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

5 hours ago, majestic said:

How did either work out for you?

I haven't watched the movie and went to sleep during Utena. The episode is about Wakaba and an Onion Prince, I think it's a filler.

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Akio comforts his sister, you know, so cut them some slack. Actually, that'll make sense eventually. The comforting part, at least, not the... the actual :x part.

It makes sense to me, the problem is more with the conclusion than the logic getting there. As nasty as it is, all things considered it's what makes the most sense so far in the show.

Polnareff and Iggy in the mansion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I haven't watched the movie and went to sleep during Utena. The episode is about Wakaba and an Onion Prince, I think it's a filler.

It makes sense to me, the problem is more with the conclusion than the logic getting there. As nasty as it is, all things considered it's what makes the most sense so far in the show.

Polnareff and Iggy in the mansion.

I forgot an emoji in between, the cut them some slack was more of a joke, even if it ends up being right, Akio sure doesn't deserve any slack. Anthy, perhaps... :)

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

Yui imagines her future work life when the girls talk about carreer choices in the wake of submitting their vocational orientation form.

She's like "I could work at an office, and come too late!" then imagines herself barging into an office, apologizing profusely for being tardy, when someone gets up and tells her:

"You work at the office next door!"

That's it, K-On!! officially won, even if this devolves into pure fanservice from this point forward, that was just absolutely hilarious. :p

4 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Right, forgot to reply. It is filler, but filler of the unskippable variety, mostly because...

Spoiler

It shows that Mikage doesn't take everyone, Wakaba's friend gets rejected, and it shows that Wakabe has no sense of self-worth or dignity at the end. Things that seemingly are useless bits of information for the time being, but are sort of important.  Wakaba's friend disappears immediately after being rejected.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

3 hours ago, majestic said:

I forgot an emoji in between, the cut them some slack was more of a joke, even if it ends up being right, Akio sure doesn't deserve any slack. Anthy, perhaps... :)

At this point only the shadow girls deserve slack.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

It is filler, but filler of the unskippable variety

...****.

...****.

...Was my 5.5/10 for the show perhaps too generous? :p

3 hours ago, majestic said:

but are sort of important

giphy.gif?cid=790b761141504e8fb2d8864d83

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

...Was my 5.5/10 for the show perhaps too generous? :p

So far yeah, it starts out promising and then just nosedives into being very tedious. I don't really want to watch it right now and just put it on when I'm exercising. 

• Haha 1

When I say something is important in Utena or not really skippable that just means if you want to find out what's going on, by yourself. You could just watch the whole thing and ask me afterwards, that's fine too, but in the spirit of the show, skipping the path means you won't reach your destination. :yes:

When the many are reduced to one, to what is the one reduced?

Edited by majestic

32 minutes ago, majestic said:

skipping the path

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611dbeaef8e547f8301b4

1tc9bpmo3f921.png

Utena 19

Wakaba's Prince turns out to be the Kendo guy who likes slapping Anthy. Her childhood friend isn't for her and gets thrown out of the Black Rose interview booth. If it's going to be this slow I hope the End of the World comes tbh.

12 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Wakaba's Prince turns out to be the Kendo guy who likes slapping Anthy. Her childhood friend isn't for her and gets thrown out of the Black Rose interview booth. If it's going to be this slow I hope the End of the World comes tbh.

Maybe the real End of the World was the friends we made along the way...

Black Magic M-66 (1987). I was going to watch the second Devilman, but it wouldn't play, so I made do with some random garbage. Reporter McToughlady protagonist woman gets wind of a military operation that goes terribly wrong involving some malfunctioning androids that are going after the wrong target, gets caught in the middle of it and basically has to Die Hard it up (or maybe Sarah Connor would be a better comparison). Like Assemble Insert, it's random 80s trash, but it's fairly fun trash that's just good enough so it doesn't feel quite like trash.

Black%20Magic%20M-66.mkv_snapshot_24.25.

Black%20Magic%20M-66.mkv_snapshot_22.30.

Black%20Magic%20M-66.mkv_snapshot_23.53.

Reporter McToughlady protagonist woman, just in case it wasn't clear, :p. Hey, beats the crap out of Utena, that's for sure.

It's a little weird the years on some of the things I've seen. Venus Wars feels more like it came out in the early 80s, but actually came out in 1989, two years later than Black Magic M-66, and that seems very off and wrong to me...the original Miyu was 1988, but really seems more like it should be a handful of years later in the early 90s to me...and of course, Eriko is still the biggest outlier of anything I've seen, because it came out in 89-90, but from everything about it you'd swear it must've been 20 or even 30 years older than it actually is. Blows my mind that Sailor Moon would come out a couple of years later - in no universe does that make any kind of sense, Eriko is about as old-fashioned as you can get. Weird stuff.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1