Should Obsidian have stuck with original cast

Should Obsidian have stuck with original cast  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Obsidian have stuck with original cast

• Yes. They still could have a unique story
    • Yes. With added characters and plot twists
    • No. I am sick of the old characters. Bring out the NEW!
    • No. I like the new story
    • I could care less

This game would have been a sucess if they would have continued the story with the existing characters. They could have done this using reads from existing KOTOR 1 saved games.

How can they seriously have the characters be the way we left them in KOTOR 1? Revons face will probably be different.

They should have stuck with the original cast and kept the "threads" of destiny alive by not straying from the original story.

I wanted to have this happen in KOTOR 2:

The cast is called upon once again to save their galaxy from a new sith lord.

Bastilla and Revon get married and they continue their quest. (Eventually in the game. Not right away. They could date first.)

Hk-47 and T3-M4 are still faithful droids to Revon. They continue to carry out their tasks as told. (and HK-47 could be told to go assassionate people for you).

Zaalbar needs to return to Kaashyyk once again to free his world from slavers.

Mission needs to get her brother out of some serious trouble. (Hoping he will fix his life).

Canderous serves you as he feels it is an honor. He could have found out a friend was in trouble and needs your help to save him.

Juhanii still struggles with her past. Maybe Belaya got captured during the attack on Dantooine and was turned to the dark side. You would have to save her.

Jolee just wants to chill with you.

Carth goes to Telos to find his son but "something" happened to him.

They could still add new characters and twists in the plot. Their is no excuse for them to say it would be the same plot. Because it wouldn't and the "but your a god!" thing. They could change enemies lvls based on your current levels and status.

And even if you were good. You could turn to the dark side again.

Keeping the same main characters and PC sounds alright for a little bit.

If we played as Revan again and ended light and went dark that means that Revan went from Light to Dark to Light and back to Dark. I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to be playing a game that is an alignment rollercoaster.

Also, you had the ability to kill a lot of the party NPC's. How can they have main plot points with characters that could have been killed? The only way this could be possible is if you had only Canderous and the droids with you in the sequel. Since most of the original cast is out of the picture, it makes perfect sense to develop a new set of characters.

One more thing, you can only save the galaxy so many times with one character.

Nope. Revan and company were fun, but if Obsidian is going to make another company's sequel, I would prefer they focus on making their own characters rather than recycling ones from the first game.

Besides, what with Revan single-handedly killing the Dark Lord of the Sith, I don't think there's much out there to challenge him/her.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

First off, they're level 20 characters as already stated.

Secondly, the characters have had whatever small growth their going to have.

Thirdly, why write someone else's characters?

Lastly, and more importantly, I think Obsidian is going to make better and more memorable characters.

It wouldn't be KOTOR 2 it would be KOTOR 1.5.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Their stories are mainly done. It would be wise to have them as cameos, but not as returning primary party members. Some characters however that would make a transition could be the driods, as it fits the "the droids always stick around" theme throughout the movies.

Others such as Jolie would work beautifully. His past and background fit well into the new darker theme.

Others won't however. Juhani wasn't given as much attention as other characters. Bastila was too constricted to the second game. Whatever fate Revan has, she has. I wouldn't be surprised to see her though.

This game would have been a sucess if they would have continued the story with the existing characters. They could have done this using reads from existing KOTOR 1 saved games.

How can they seriously have the characters be the way we left them in KOTOR 1? Revons face will probably be different.

They should have stuck with the original cast and kept the "threads" of destiny alive by not straying from the original story.

Bastilla and Revon get married and they continue their quest. (Eventually in the game. Not right away. They could date first.)

Hk-47 and T3-M4 are still faithful droids to Revon. They continue to carry out their tasks as told. (and HK-47 could be told to go assassionate people for you).

Mission needs to get her brother out of some serious trouble. (Hoping he will fix his life).

Canderous serves you as he feels it is an honor. He could have found out a friend was in trouble and needs your help to save him.

Juhanii still struggles with her past. Maybe Belaya got captured during the attack on Dantooine and was turned to the dark side. You would have to save her.

They could still add new characters and twists in the plot. Their is no excuse for them to say it would be the same plot. Because it wouldn't and the "but your a god!" thing. They could change enemies lvls based on your current levels and status.

Didn't you post this same thing under a different username? I think you even spelled "Revon" wrong all the time under your old username as well.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

First off, they're level 20 characters as already stated.

Secondly, the characters have had whatever small growth their going to have.

Thirdly, why write someone else's characters?

Lastly, and more importantly, I think Obsidian is going to make better and more memorable characters.

I agree with you completly! Besides obsidian will make a better story and harder combat. After all they did make Torment and Icewind dale I&II, which had great characters and a cool story line.

I don't see how they could make a worse game. (not that kotor is bad)

on one hand, having the old fellas around again would have been nice. on the other hand, I welcome changes so I trust OE will bring up an interesting story played by an interesting cast, with some cameos of the old cast, which will prolly have a more or less 'indirect' part in the new plot.

in the end, i'll be happy whatever OE will do.

post-1139-1094028462.gif

There are too many variables to use the same charaters again. Especially if u play DS then half of them will be dead!

And who is Revon? I never heard of him. Revan was the main character.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I also am glad that they're going with an all new cast, and this thread is a good place for that discussion. This isn't the first time I've seen this subject come up, although on other message boards, and the opinions are not quite so cut and dried elsewhere as they are here. Hades One probably remembers one from the Bioware boards concerning what is truly a game sequel.

Anyway, I agree with all of the reasons stated in support of the new characters and storyline. I like this time period. I want to know more about it. When you limit yourself to a series centering around one character, it makes it that much more difficult to include the widest possible variety of atmosphere and background for the world you're writing about. While all new everything may not necessarily be good for the previous cast, I think it is mandatory for the Old Republic line.

Also, no need to talk about K2 like it's already failed (this game would have been a success). I have great faith in the fact that it will blow K1 away as far as sales and awards go.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I would have preferred if KOTOR 2 was a true sequel myself, but I don't mind the new cast thing so much anymore. It'd be cool to be a re-exiled revan with some of the gang along for the ride. As for the whole level thing, a corrupt jedi master could have exiled you for some dark reason (perhapse you became too powerful, or he feared you would be a threat to the sith later on) and taken from you your command of the force, ala Sunrider back with Ulic. The sith lords storyline could work in this setting. But thats just my opinion

Didn't you post this same thing under a different username? I think you even spelled "Revon" wrong all the time under your old username as well.

No he just posted it in the suggestions forum.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I would have preferred if KOTOR 2 was a true sequel myself, but I don't mind the new cast thing so much anymore. It'd be cool to be a re-exiled revan with some of the gang along for the ride. As for the whole level thing, a corrupt jedi master could have exiled you for some dark reason (perhapse you became too powerful, or he feared you would be a threat to the sith later on) and taken from you your command of the force, ala Sunrider back with Ulic. The sith lords storyline could work in this setting. But thats just my opinion

Revan at the end is practically a god with a lightsaber, I don't think many people are powerful enough to block Revan from the force without killing him/her outright.

Besides I've always found the blocking someone from the force totally to be a weak plot device and inconsistent with what we know about the force. The only two things that could IMO realistically be used to block someone from the force or to reduce or eliminate his/her ability to weild it (other than slaying them outright) would be to either take away his/her memory and thus the learned skills required to manipulate the force in the way the Jedi, Sith and other force adepts do is to somehow take away or block acces to the their memory or at least the part where the force skills are stored (this is what happened to Revan in KOTOR 1) or if you're buying into the whole midi-chlorian thingy you could have a scientific method to remove the midi-chlorians from their body/soul or reduce them to a level where it would effectively be impossible for them to call upon the force in the way most Jedi do.

The problem with method 2 the way I see it is that it would most likely be an irreversible procedure, because if it could be done in the reverse way I suspect many high ranking Senators and politicians and businessmen would gladly pay to have their midi-chlorian count boosted artificially.

Finally using method one on Revan again would have been really, really lame IMHO, the poor guy/girl has suffered enough for one lifetime methinks.

I'd hate it if obsidian did this, they are perfectley capable of creating their own characters and don't need to use someone elses.asshole2.gif

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.