Will be a co-op?

TheRock

Open world game with a good story that you can play with friends. Imagine something like a Witcher but with a friend it sounds like a lot of time and fun in two. It's just something i'd like to see one day, i hope this option will be there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:41 PM, TheRock said:

Imagine something like a Witcher but with a friend it sounds like a lot of time and fun in two.

Sounds like a worse version of the Witcher. Friends and story don't tend to gel well. 

Joking aside, it is unknown. All we have is the trailer and the most detailed description that describes it as "epic, first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora [aka. Pillars of Eternity 1&2 setting". All beyond that are guesses and wild speculations. 

I *doubt* Avowed will feature a co-op multiplayer. Just because it doesn't really seem like Obsidian MO. Granted, they have Grounded, but that's designed to be that kind of game. Their other RPGs that are more like Avowed's scope, are usually single player narrative experiences. Which, I think, is a major reason they stick to singleplayer: narrative. A consistent experience can be delivered when everyone is playing the same game, adding multiplayer adds a level of disjoint from the world and *can* cause the narrative to hit less.

That said, Obsidian might take a crack at it, who knows. With the success of Grounded, or even just the desire to grow/experiment as developers, might bring them to try and involve it. Though, I'll still maintain my guess is that it won't be co-op.

• 1 month later...

I hope so. There was a job listing indicating so

https://www.dualshockers.com/avowed-game-xbox-pc-multiplayer-cross-platform-leak/?amp

Obsidian made one of the best RPG co-op games I've played: neverwinter nights 2. 

RPG, story and co-op are a great mix, as seen on baldurs Gate (the old ones), icewind dale, divinity and baldurs gate 3. People that say otherwise don't have good friends to play a good story together, probably never played tabletop RPG (like dungeons and dragons) or never played these games I mentioned. 

If it has co-op, it has single player as well, so it's a win win situation 

Hopefully Microsoft games don't turn out like Sony's: too focused on solo. 

Edited by rafoca