What if you used this shield with a Fighter/Fighter Multi and kept your INT at 10, this would free you up for other stats. But you wouldn’t have a high INT until later in the game.  Early in the game you could talk the bird pet that gives you +1 INT and Hylia’s Helm that would give you+2 INT.  That nets you a respectable INT.  With tactical Barrage you would get more INT but don’t fire it off until you engage and get the Smart buff from the shield.  

Atrribute Wise on POTD you would need MAX per IMO to counter large shield malus + disc barrage would ensure that even late game you could hit stuff.  Add in Gladiator sword for more deflection and this looks cool and could be an effective party tank. And you could hit stuff consistently.  You could have a huge AOE on Sacred Immolation with strong might or if you went say swashbuckler you could riposte a ton.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

I thought about an Unbroken/Goldpact because of the added armor from the shield. +1 bc of Unbroken passive, +1 from the shield at lower health (e.g. when using Sacred Immolation), +4 from Gilded Enmity (doesn't stack with Zealous Endurance so you could take Zealous Focus instead to counter the large shield malus a bit), +1 from Stoic Steel and +1 occasionally from Inspired Defense. That's +8 armor without any additional equipment which would come on top. "Hello and welcome, my dear underpenetrating enemies!"

Defenses would be great anyway bc of Refreshing Defense + Superior Deflection + Paladin passives.

Gladiator Sword is not too bad bc of the +1 PEN enchantment.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That’s definitely what I was going for.  Since it’s a party tank and I usually run a priest I could probably go Exalted Endurance for more regen since I’ll have Devotions of the Faithful, although it’s temporary and ZF is always.  I also you think you would need refreshing defense with all that deflection? Solo you probably would but I’m not sure this would work solo, the offense isn’t good enough (Definitely not mega bosses, you would need refreshing defense to even attempt lol and maybe brand enemy for a mega boss and hope you outlast it I guess.)

the weapon isn’t bad, you could use maybe that engagement hammer and take mob stance to be more reactive/faster but I was thinking maybe defender stance for better dmg reduction. Although my INT helmet would be out because I’d probably want the death runes helm if I went defender stance. So 2 less INT. 

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

49 minutes ago, Torm51 said:

I’m not sure this would work solo, the offense isn’t good enough

In the initial discussion we had, @Boeroer already pointed out this weakness while fighting Rathuns and @Raven Darkholme suggested that a good battleaxe with the modal on could solve that problem - because Deep Cuts is so powerful. So you could focus down tough cookies and dispatch them one at a time. But still of course offense will never be stellar with this kind of build.

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Torm51 said:

I also you think you would need refreshing defense with all that deflection?

As always with builds starving for ability points (and this one is) it all depends on the tradeoff and what you would be taking instead. But on PotD you never have too much defense, and refreshing defense is such a nice boost (although actually you don't want defenses to be so high that nothing ever hits you, otherwise you miss out on the Refreshing Defenses part :)).

• Like 1

Ya true.  I’ve been mowed down by mass range fire at lvl 9 with like 100 plus deflection.  So you are right.

for the attributes I’m thinking good might MAX Per and good Resolve, flat INT because using those items and the shields skill to raise it high.  maybe I’m wrong here but if you want to attempt SI like i do I’ll need a good Res score before items. This build would be good skipping it as a party tank but I’m attempting to get some damage out of it (maybe I shouldn’t) The melee autos aren’t bad but they are too slow.  If you don’t go SI you can skip RES maybe since you have a lot of deflection already?

now if I could only last long enough on my Ironman run/POTD to full flesh out the build. I’m avoiding like the plague any fight until like level 10 lol. On Maje Island I skipped every fight save the spirit fight before the adra pillar lol.  I’m not using any BBs and playing Berath and Skans Challenge.  Until I have a party Rez I’m terrified.  Those Gore’s by the Boars are so RNG. Even with a max deflection guy they have a 50% of landing. And if you miss the interrupt or get hit while healers are on recovery it’s lights out.  I owned the crystal spider with an antidote 😛 lol 

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

27 minutes ago, Torm51 said:

On Maje Island I skipped every fight save the spirit fight before the adra pillar lol

Maje is a nightmare on PotD. On Upscaled you can win all fights only with a handful of builds. Unless you stealth 100% OR... you go with the Berath Blessing to start at lvl4, level up to 6, go hire a SC Assassin level 5 with Gouging Strike (or just use Eder as a Rogue) and give him a nice ranged weapon e.g. Fine Arquebus from BB or Essence Interrupter. Game over, autowin everything in Maje. Also, a big yawn-festival.

That being said I personally still find Maje less punishing that Act I of PoE1.

Those Gore’s by the Boars are so RNG

I just checked on Upscaled PotD: the Digsite's Boar Gore attack has an ACC of 70 and a PEN of 12+. On a Crit, one lucky boar can land 100+ DMG in one attack between the initial blow and the DoT...

I owned the crystal spider with an antidote 😛 lol 

Sweet! Getting hit by a Tier-4 Affliction that does hard CC after less than one hour of gameplay is one of the fun tricks of the Maje island.

51 minutes ago, Torm51 said:

If you don’t go SI you can skip RES maybe since you have a lot of deflection already?

Yeah, I guess you could put those points back in INT then for greater impact - though I think on this kind of build SI can still be situationally nice. It's costly and all... but when you truly need it, it works wonders (e.g. to initially overwhelm the enemy and diminish the threat level). Plus, since DEF has increasing returns, on such a build you will get more mileage out of your extra points of DEF from RES than other builds that disregard DEF or rely upon mage buffs and the like to raise it.

Just my opinion, I really don't think there's a definitive answer. :) 

Ya that’s true, I’ve been in spots where I just need more damage from the tank snd SI can definitely provide that I just need to be prepare for the self damage with Resolve, items and Hands of Light or a priest resolve buff when I I get it.  SI+ Hands of Light is a lot of Zeal Cost.  I think if I take ring of flame (the +10 ACC to fire) plus Max Per, Disc Barrage and the PL lvl snd INT upgrade it will hit a lot of people and hard, maybe scion of flame if I see I’m using it a lot.  I like this build on paper.  Lets see. Maybe @Boeroercan run a simulation for me ;)

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.