2021 Olympic Games Tokyo

kirottu

48 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Well there was more spotlight on it and maybe more pressure to not to allow it. In Japan Ritalin is not allowed. Even in the US it's not allowed in baseball as it's a performance enhancing drug.

We used to call Ritalin "Trailer Park Cocaine". 

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Even in the US it's not allowed in baseball as it's a performance enhancing drug.

I thought the MLB gave (lots of) exemptions for players with ADHD but it's been a long time since I've followed baseball closely

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I thought the MLB gave (lots of) exemptions for players with ADHD but it's been a long time since I've followed baseball closely

There are exceptions, but it's banned as they consider it a performance enhancer.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

33 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Seems so -https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/11/29/exemptions-for-adhd-drugs-in-mlb-drop-to-lowest-in-decade/40727985/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Biles won a Bronze on Balance Beam. Glad to see she got something for all the grief she had to take. There are times in life when you need to cowboy up buttercup and perform even when you don’t think you can. Amateur sports is not one of those. 

The twisties are no joke - good way to become a paraplegic if you try to perform with it. Glad she managed to escape uninjured.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

Well there was more spotlight on it and maybe more pressure to not to allow it. In Japan Ritalin is not allowed. Even in the US it's not allowed in baseball as it's a performance enhancing drug.

That isn't going to be changed.

The Russians push it because of multiple reasons including their olympic 'ban', but also for more...objectively reasonable ones too such as Sharapova getting banned for taking a prescribed medicine in meldonium that has no confirmed performance benefit- while medical exemptions were and are handed out continually for others. Indeed, not only have a disproportionate number of (western) elite athletes overcome ADHD to achieve greatness, coincidentally requiring that they take ritalin, but many have also overcome asthma, coincidentally requiring that they take an otherwise banned drug (salbutamol) to open their airways and improve their breathing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The twisties are no joke - good way to become a paraplegic if you try to perform with it. Glad she managed to escape uninjured.

No argument for me on that count. The idea of losing spatial orientation in the middle of a triple twist dismount from a high bar sounds more than a little scary.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Russians won artistic swimming, to the surprise of no one. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Women are **** at penalties.  Also a shame that Sweden lost, they were a better team.  More shame that Canada won.

• Haha 2

USA wins basketball gold medal against France, but just barely. Avenged their sole loss to France that happened in their very first game of the tournament, but did not really look too much better than they did the first time around...but it was enough. For a team made up of All-NBAs and All-Stars, it never really played like it should've...but it got the gold, and that's what counts.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Jakob Ingebrigtsen wins the 1500 metres, beating Cheruiyot for the first time in his career.  His father went to school with mine, and is quite the character. He coaches three of his sons who all have notable achievements in the running world.

I just saw Bruce Springsteen‘s daughter won a silver in one of the equestrian events. Good for her!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

11 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

USA wins basketball gold medal against France, but just barely. Avenged their sole loss to France that happened in their very first game of the tournament, but did not really look too much better than they did the first time around...but it was enough. For a team made up of All-NBAs and All-Stars, it never really played like it should've...but it got the gold, and that's what counts.

They pulled it together in the end but going into the exhibition games before the Olympics I thought that team was going to be a total s—t show. But good for them.But good for them.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

if the horse were a soccer player, we got no doubt it woulda' immediate sprawled on the turf in anguish following that brutal hammer blow o' a punch. 

wasn't exact what we expected when we read the story. dunno, maybe rule is coaches ain't allowed to make contact with the animal, so were less the "punch" than the contact? again, don't know the rules. 

however, and if some o' you think less o' us after this admission am understanding, but our personal experience with stubborn horses has more than once involved a thrown punch.  is something we learned from our father.

we were raised by grandparents, but we knew our father and he visited the ranch where we grew up a couple times per year. pops, for all his faults, were an accomplished equestrian. incident am sharing happened when we were sevenish and am recollecting pops were dealing with a less than docile, and unusually robust quarter horse.  in addition to being willful, the equine in question were just plain mean and the brute were both a biter and kicker. dad put up with the beast's nonsense for less than a minute before he leaned forward in the saddle and punched the horse solidly in the neck. 

*chuckle*

we were watching this happen from behind and we could clear see the legs o' the horse buckle when our father struck. is doubtful the punch hurt the horse, but the animal's shock were clear; it had never experienced that sorta treatment previous. 

dad had zero troubles with the horse henceforth.

maybe not the kinda story you share with peta folks.

anyways, 'pon reading the story 'bout the german coach, our imagination took us back to the punch our seven-years-old self witnessed.  disappointed.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Serbia won gold in Water polo once again by winning against Greece. I think the semi-final match against Spain was much closer and much more bloody, so the finals came as an easier game for the nerves of the fans. This is probably the last Olympic competition for the rest of the old guard, it will be interesting to see where we stand after an all new team starts competing. For how little we invest in this sport it's really a miracle how good we are at it.

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

if the horse were a soccer player, we got no doubt it woulda' immediate sprawled on the turf in anguish following that brutal hammer blow o' a punch. 

Americans seem to only have this barb to throw at football, hah.

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Americans seem to only have this barb to throw at football, hah.

only?

hardly. 

is not even the worst failing o' football, which forces the viewer to spend hours at a time watching little occur only to have the entire contest determined by the curious penalty kick silliness.

nice try though.

HA! Good Fun!

ps try not to repeat the same fail and assume the list o' football/soccer complaints is now complete

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

12 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

is not even the worst failing o' football, which forces the viewer to spend hours at a time watching little occur only to have the entire contest determined by the curious penalty kick silliness.

In terms of spending hours, think that's pretty much all sports - watching most sports is a 2 hour or so event - and if you think the avergae football game has little occurring, I guess everything bar basketball has the same. Americans have to wear baseball a bit at least, that sport is a crime against man to watch 😛 

I don't see the issue with the penalty shootout, having endless extra time isn't going to be that great as the players tire and the game bogs down, you can see how the current ET plays out due to fatigue. 

If you want a laugh though, look up how the MLS did penalty kicks at the start, essentially like hockey does. Although they may use that in 2026, apparently :lol:

Edited by Malcador

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

stuff

bring up other sports is pointless and non responsive (not to mention inaccurate on most points). your accusation were that the only criticism americans throw at soccer is the flop aspect. you were wrong. try and own your error.

HA! Good Fun!

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

bring up other sports is pointless and non responsive (not to mention inaccurate on most points). your accusation were that the only criticism americans throw at soccer is the flop aspect. you were wrong. try and own your error.

HA! Good Fun!

I wrote "seem to only", and was hardly an accusation, heh.  Do wonder what football teams people have actually watched play when they say "little happens", or at least what they would consider things to actually have happened - maybe tiki taka Barca ?

13 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I wrote "seem to only", and was hardly an accusation, heh.  Do wonder what football teams people have actually watched play when they say "little happens", or at least what they would consider things to actually have happened - maybe tiki taka Barca ?

I think he means that there are too little commercials and halftime shows happening. They have been conditioned to love that stuff.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Malcador said:

clear were an accusation if not meant as an insult. s'posed, americans is only capable o' identifying the flop problem in soccer is the recognition o' a curious shared mistake by those north americans living south o' kanada but north o' mexico... but also including alaska and hawaii and various territories... but perhaps not territories 'cause soccer is mighty popular in puerto rico and a few pacific islands. regardless, am not thinking we need use a websters or oed link, but knock yourself out if you need a moment to review. didn't take as an insult, just ignorant.

the accusation were also curious directed overbroad at americans, which is just stoopid. for example, Gromnir much prefers lacrosse and rugby ( @Sarex not much in the way o' halftime shows and commercials for either o' those sports, eh?) to baseball. assuming some kinda american pov is fundamental flawed as you will no doubt find a great deal o' argument 'mongst americans regarding which pro sports is most compelling.

the tactical sophistication o' soccer is low compared to say american football. even the least observant fan o' soccer is gonna recognize the greater diversity o' skill sets 'mongst american football players compared to soccer players. to the uneducated, an offensive lineman might appear to be engaged in a kinda curious sumo wrestling exercise, grappling with an opponent, while a defensive back, a lean and quick individual, appears to be doing his utmost to not actual touch his opponent, right up until the football is making contact with a receiver's hands, a receiver who were doing everything he could to distance himself from the defensive back and eventual catch the football, a ball which may only be touched by certain individuals in under select conditions. obvious oversimplifications, but it don't take knowledge o' football to recognize diversity o' skills and responsibilities. combine with functional reset o' gameplay every minute or so and the opportunities to make significant tactical adjustments is literal mind boggling.

every single play in american football requires near perfect execution by all players on a team. failure results in either a penalty or more likely the exploitation o' the seeming innocuous blunder by the opposing team. 

soccer by comparison...

etc.

again, is not relevant or necessary to get into the curious american v. euro bit regarding soccer which malc seemed to wanna inject into the thread. tangential and off-topic to an extreme degree. oversensitive euros and kanadians and their weird soccer sensitivity is cute and all but isn't actual relevant to the olympics thread. more than a few non americans has laughed at soccer flops on these boards, so somehow somehow getting your sports pride triggered were chukleworthy but misguided.  regardless, your initial observation were inaccurate.

HA! Good Fun!