The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

43 minutes ago, Sarex said:

What's holding me back is that I have read them way too many times... But for some reason I'm not in a mood to start any new series, heck I haven't even read Rhythm of War and it's been ages since that came out.

I used to re-read the series each time a new book was released. So I've read the individual books many times, but the entire series from beginning to end I've only done a couple of times since it was wrapped up. But it does hit a point where you've read a book so many times you start to skim through paragraphs and chapters and focus more on the parts of the story that fit whatever mood you're in rather than "properly" read the entire thing.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just watched a really good horror series on Netflix, highly recommend...Midnight Mass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Mass_(miniseries)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

TNG Suspicions

Okay episode. Nice to see a focus on Dr. Crusher. Weird that it's a theoretical science episode though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

11 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

good show

was expecting more shipper fuel

I didn't like s1 because it felt like a copy of Final Space, with way too many references to old Star Trek stories. Felt like they tried to abuse nostalgia to the fullest for views.

Now with s2 they seem to be cooling down a bit from that stuff, which makes it better in my eyes.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 10/7/2021 at 10:12 PM, uuuhhii said:

owl house was cancelled

still can not believe it

I remember trying that show a year or so back and thinking it felt really...off and kind of dissatisfying. Is the show a bit better than the first few episodes would indicate? I know it has a bit of a following...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

36 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I remember trying that show a year or so back and thinking it felt really...off and kind of dissatisfying. Is the show a bit better than the first few episodes would indicate? I know it has a bit of a following...

have the same feeling for the first few episode and give up the show

things pick up a lot after s01e05

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

What If

I know it is a superhero story and realism is not to be expected, but how the f*** did they connect that usb arrow on the first try?

give up realism in superhero comic a long times ago with all the nano tech nonsense

3 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

give up realism in superhero comic a long times ago with all the nano tech nonsense

I can accept magical nanotech,

Spoiler

zombies defeating Thanos wearing an infinity gauntlet,

and many other things, but everyone knows you never plug a USB correctly on the first try. There is just so much suspension of disbelief can do.:shrugz:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

On 10/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, Lexx said:

I continued watching ST The Lower Decks and now with s2 I'm beginning to like it some more.

I think the second season so far has been better than the first. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Midnight Mass. The first episode didn't really grab me and I held off for a while after but I'm glad I went back. There's parts that drag but on the whole it is a very good horror miniseries.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For all mankind. Russia wins the space race, while the US trails behind. This causes a race to new and greater things.

While the premise is interesting (although we all know the moon landing was faked), I haven't really been grabbed by the show. I've been told by multiple people that it's great so I'll give few more episodes a go.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Midnight Mass. The first episode didn't really grab me and I held off for a while after but I'm glad I went back. There's parts that drag but on the whole it is a very good horror miniseries.

Its not just good, its excellent and the story changes in a  dark and completely unexcepted way .....so it goes from being a  "preachy "  religious theme to something different and horror based 🎃

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 10/6/2021 at 3:27 AM, Lexx said:

Now I kinda want to watch more of this stuff. Maybe this will be my new anime, now that I have seen most of the interesting stuff in that area.

Yeah, that was a cute k-drama, I mostly liked it as well. 
There are some very good K-dramas. A lot of them are somewhat fluffy/comedic or melodrama romances - which I definitely enjoy from time to time and K-dramas do it so much better than the US - but there are also the more drama or thriller/crime types that are very good.  Misaeng (slice of life) would be one and last I looked it was still on Netflix. If you want to stay with lighter relationship or general fantasy fare: Because This Is My First Life is sweet (but not very slapsticky).  Anyway, there's some good ones, from wacky to serious, from the past 8 years or so ... but most aren't on Netflix.

===============
Speaking of k-drama's, I watched the first two episodes of Squid Game (Netflix) last night. About half-way through the first, I sat up and went "GONG YOO!" ... I had no idea he was in it. But then sadly he went away and from reading, sounds like his role is just a guest/brief. ::sad panda::  But the first two episodes of the series seem fairly interesting/good. I'll try a couple more episodes.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts