The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

Why do we need the same thing twice... either they should keep going with the original story and continue with a new cast and crew, or just let it be. What's the point of basically reimagining everything again?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

8 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I'd be excited about a B5 reboot. But that it will be on CW concerns me.

As opposed to PTEN? Can do a lot worse. Atleast there will be a real budget under WB.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

243153192_10226242700636034_105752056402

46 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Why do we need the same thing twice... either they should keep going with the original story and continue with a new cast and crew, or just let it be. What's the point of basically reimagining everything again?

I suppose there is an aspect of "This is what I did 25 years ago. If I knew then what I know now, I would have done x and y and this other thing, and we now have the tech to be able to take this thing I stripped out because it coudn't be done then.."

I imagine as a creator there is a certain zing to being able to go back and play with something you loved and strive to see what you can do with it with lessons you have since learned.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

10 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Huh. What if the ideas are intentionally bad or cringe worthy?

Like maybe John Sheridan returns and gets a job for a moving company called Bruce's Boxes.

JMS has always been big on doing the "please, please, never ever suggest a story idea or ask about a story concept that you've come up with" due to the whole "I've had a fan on twitter mention an idea he had to my twitter and had to throw out x months of writing work because the concept was similar and then it gets ridiculous for the lawyers to be involved."

He loves to engage with fans, but he's also very aware that he can put something in a story , have it on tv and someone can pop up and do a "I mentioned this on twitter 10 years ago. It's my original idea!"

1 minute ago, ShadySands said:

Everyone loves their own bad ideas

Spocks-Brain1.png

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

19 hours ago, Raithe said:

I imagine as a creator there is a certain zing to being able to go back and play with something you loved and strive to see what you can do with it with lessons you have since learned.

Is also an easier pay day.  Works for games!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://gizmodo.com/foundations-david-s-goyer-on-the-vital-changes-needed-1847682950

“Whenever I’m adapting something, I read it again or watch it again, and I try to write down what I think the core ideas are, the essential ingredients,” he told io9 over video chat. “In this case, because Asimov wasn’t alive, I was talking to his estate, to his daughter, and I said, I want to make sure that I’ve identified the core ingredients that make Foundation, Foundation. Fortunately, they said, yeah, we feel like you’ve zeroed in on the most important elements. And because we’re adapting it now, over 70 years after Asimov first wrote it—you know, it was a metaphorical story back in the post-World War II environment—some of the events, some of the things that we’re interrogating, we’re going to have to change because we’re speaking to an audience of today and not an audience post-World War II.”

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Sarex said:

It's not bad. Overall better then most of what's available on Netflix, which is sadly not a high bar. I can't put my finger what makes his first 2 specials (non netflix ones) so much better than the ones he did on Netflix. I don't know if it's because he changed up his act, in the netflix specials he is really doing the cool guy act and he sprinkles in the other personas, where as in the first two he was jumping from persona to persona. Maybe it's the bits themselves, he has gotten really preachy in the netflix specials and every bit he does serves to make a point about the agenda he is pushing. Either way it's a good watch that got a few smiles out of me.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

12 minutes ago, Sarex said:

It's not bad. Overall better then most of what's available on Netflix, which is sadly not a high bar. I can't put my finger what makes his first 2 specials (non netflix ones) so much better than the ones he did on Netflix. I don't know if it's because he changed up his act, in the netflix specials he is really doing the cool guy act and he sprinkles in the other personas, where as in the first two he was jumping from persona to persona. Maybe it's the bits themselves, he has gotten really preachy in the netflix specials and every bit he does serves to make a point about the agenda he is pushing. Either way it's a good watch that got a few smiles out of me.

I saw him live in 2018, along with Pete Davidson, Mo Ameer, Pete Davidson, and Jon Stewart. Chapelle was really funny (and I learned Chuck Berry did an R-Kelly but with someone who wasn't underage) but it seemed to be more... formulaic. It's still better than most stand-up, which honestly isn't saying too much, but it wasn't as impressive as his earlier stuff.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I have watched my very first K-Drama this week: Her Private Life.

It honestly was pretty good... until 3/4 of the show, then it was completely falling apart because they had to throw in the wildest coincidences. Makes me sad, because it was really great up until that point. They should have cut out the last 3 or so episodes to make it better all in all.

Also the product placement was kinda funny. "Ok, but let me fill my stomach  first!" *proceeds to drink a bottle with very clearly visible name and logo on it*

Now I kinda want to watch more of this stuff. Maybe this will be my new anime, now that I have seen most of the interesting stuff in that area.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

TNG "Frame of Mind"

Riker gets mind-manipulated to extract information. 

Cast does what they can with the material, but overall TNG's done this story better (Picard's interrogator by David Warner's Cardassian and Data exploration of his strange visions after the accidental alien device blast) just a few episodes ago.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Can't see Lanfear being all that important in the appearance sense in the TV series- unless they end up doing Age of Legends flashbacks or similar*. Elaida seems a reasonable guess, given the casting of Elayne.

*spoiler it, for safety sake

Spoiler

most of her appearances are not as Lanfear herself, and 'Selene's (?) appearance is in a sequence that could very easily be cut as too confusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Getting the itch to read the books again...

I skim read my way through through the first four last weekend. Started the 5th....

I have to admit, visually and mood that really handled Lan well to my mind.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I skim read my way through through the first four last weekend. Started the 5th....

I have to admit, visually and mood that really handled Lan well to my mind.

What's holding me back is that I have read them way too many times... But for some reason I'm not in a mood to start any new series, heck I haven't even read Rhythm of War and it's been ages since that came out.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP