The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

Since I do post a lot of Gowron eye memes in the funny thread...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 9/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, Amentep said:

Pretty much every story that it might be useful to have an empath (and where I guess they don't need Troi to be traumatized somehow) sidelines her.

Even a story like "Disaster" that should have given her a chance to shine makes her look bad.

I remember there being an episode(s) where she loses her empath powers for a bit and her just coming across as being the most painfully unlikable and un-self-aware person possible. I think that was when I consciously realized that she never seemed to serve any purpose or made good use of her abilities anyhow while constantly coming across as a totally clueless yet patronizing counselor, and so I don't think my opinion of her ever really recovered from that point on. Probably the main character I least like in TNG, :shrugz:.

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

TNG sure is amazing insofar that it's one of the most beloved sci-fi series of all time, exploded the popularity of Star Trek and still holds up in rewatches with the exceptions of some of the episodes in the first season (*cough* Code of Honor *cough*), but at the same time it's inherently flawed in a way that you can't help but wonder how those really great episodes in there even came to be. Creativity in the face of adversity, perhaps.

Most of the cast is either useless or not really likeable (and some I downright hated, like a certain Dr. Pulaski or the snotty kid that somehow has grown to be more "accepted" in the role over time, for reasons I can't possibly begin to fathom) or just plain boring, and it's mostly held together by Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart. I liked Gates McFadden's Beverly Crusher, but arguing that she's a good actress would go a little far.

Guess when something works, it just works. Definitely a show where the sum of its parts far exceeds the individual components.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

HBO Is Leaving Amazon Prime Video (gizmodo.com)

Previously, a placement deal that secured HBO’s presence in the Amazon Channels store had allowed users to access regular HBO programming within the Amazon Fire TV user interface, allowing customers to easily sign up through their Amazon accounts. But that deal had resulted in a “major sticking point” during negotiations when it came to getting HBO Max, the company’s primary streaming service, its own app on the Amazon Fire TV platform—leading WarnerMedia to yank HBO from “channels” entirely in an effort to cut out the middleman.

2 hours ago, bugarup said:

Watched new King's "The Stand". Somehow it was even cheesier than the nineties version, though just as mediocre.

What !!! You cant be serious....it was brilliant and they even added a new part at the end ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, bugarup said:

Watched new King's "The Stand". Somehow it was even cheesier than the nineties version, though just as mediocre.

Wait, there's a new one? .... oh, a sub-channel. Based on clips doesn't seem like it'd be any better than the old one, just prettier. One of those books that I think will never be able to filmed, any medium. Well, maybe a 60 episode animation could. Maybe.

I love Greg Kinnear but I can't personally picture him as Glenn Bateman at all, even after watching a few clips. Ray Walston was one of the few things about that 90's series that was perfect imo (also Gary Sinise).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

What !!! You cant be serious....it was brilliant and they even added a new part at the end ?

I am serious, and do you mean the part in the very end of the last episode? It's not new, it was in the book.

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Wait, there's a new one? .... oh, a sub-channel. Based on clips doesn't seem like it'd be any better than the old one, just prettier. One of those books that I think will never be able to filmed, any medium. Well, maybe a 60 episode animation could. Maybe.

I love Greg Kinnear but I can't personally picture him as Glenn Bateman at all, even after watching a few clips. Ray Walston was one of the few things about that 90's series that was perfect imo (also Gary Sinise).

Agreed about both Walston and Sinise. I'd say I mostly prefer the old cast save for Lloyd, though some, like Harold, are both good I think. Miguel Ferrer looked too intelligent, this new douchebag dudebro (douchebro?) was much easier to be disgusted at. 

31 minutes ago, bugarup said:

I am serious, and do you mean the part in the very end of the last episode? It's not new, it was in the book.

They added something new in the tv series 

https://fansided.com/2019/08/02/stephen-king-the-stand-new-ending-cbs-all-access/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

‘The Wheel Of Time’: Dónal Finn To Play Mat Cauthon In Recasting On Amazon Series As Barney Harris Not Returning For Season 2.

Dónal Finn (The Witcher) has been tapped to portray Mat Cauthon, replacing Barney Harris, who played the role in Season 1, set to premiere Nov. 19 on Amazon Prime Video. The reasons for the recasting are unclear. The expansive, world-building drama, adapted from Robert Jordan’s books, involves a lengthy, complex overseas shoot in the Czech Republic. Filming on Season 2 is underway.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

TNG "Lessons"

Pretentious title much?

Picard finds love then must send them on a dangerous mission where his ability to be impartial breaks.  The episode works primarily because of the actors, and ends up being a decent dramatic episode for the most part.  That said, it seems weird how in the episode where Picard finds romance with Lt Daren, her area of responsibility also ends up crucial to the story - including a spot for Daren at the big meeting table when Stellar Cartography had never been there before.  It points to one of the primarily structural weaknesses of the episode, namely that it should have had more episodes to develop the Daren and her department in a natural way so that the final conflict with the solar wind (or whatever) felt natural.  While yes, most episodes were done-in-ones in the era, this type story I think would be better percolating for a bit; Lt. Daren and Stellar Cartography should have had multiple appearances leading to this culmination of the arc for her character and relationship with Picard.

Also, Troi was in her uniform in this episode for those counting at home.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

While yes, most episodes were done-in-ones in the era, this type story I think would be better percolating for a bit; Lt. Daren and Stellar Cartography should have had multiple appearances leading to this culmination of the arc for her character and relationship with Picard.

I watched the "What We Left Behind" DS9 Documentary the other day, and they brought up how deathly down on serialisation of storylines the producers and networks were. That every single episode MUST be episodic and stand alone due to the nature of network tv in the US and how different networks carrying the show might drop an episode for various reasons and viewers had to be able to pick everything smoothly up when some episodes hadn't been seen. It was apparently a very big battle to get them to allow those types of serialised story arcs into DS9.

I imagine it was worse for syndicated programs at the time since they might be pre-empted by other local station programming.

It still could have made a light arc, without heavy episode-to-episode continuity.  Comics at the time did that.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

“Elvira” comes out

well bummer, turns out I never had a shot after all LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

That looks amazing, hot vampires  and a surprising theme .....what could be better

Definitely watching this one 🧛‍♀️

• Like 1

John Milton 

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I checked now  and this will be  available on SA Netflix on the 20 October, I know what I will be doing on the 20 📺 

John Milton 

Caught the first two episodes of Foundation.

Not quite sure what to make of it. Good actors digging into their roles, glorious visuals you'd expect in a film working smoothly on streaming tv. Slow set up story.

I think it might be one that will need the entire season to be watched in fairly close order to actually get a good grasp on it and feel if it flows right.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:15 AM, ShadySands said:

Orville returns March 10th almost 3 years after the last episode aired

Wow, is it really that long already? Damn, time is running so fast.

Personally I didn't really like season 2. If I'd rewatch the show, then probably only s1. Hope that s3 will be better again.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."