The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

10 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Reservation Dogs. So far it's been amazing. Yuuge recommendation.

Gave it a go, seems interesting so far, I'll keep watching. Have you tried Letterkenny?

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

Gave it a go, seems interesting so far, I'll keep watching. Have you tried Letterkenny?

Not yet.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

for the amusing trivia point:

image-SDSy11Q2KIRrQR0g.jpg

In the Mandalorian, Baby Yoda appears on scene in a U.S. military marmite with some LEDs glued on.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Frank Oz: Disney Doesn't Want Him for Muppets or Sesame Street (gizmodo.com)

In a fascinating, wide-ranging interview with the Guardian, Oz admits that while he hasn’t worked with The Muppets since 2007, it hasn’t exactly been by choice. “I’d love to do the Muppets again but Disney doesn’t want me, and Sesame Street hasn’t asked me for 10 years,” Oz said. “They don’t want me because I won’t follow orders and I won’t do the kind of Muppets they believe in.”

Oz worked directly with Jim Henson, who passed away in 1990, on both properties, and thinks negotiations to sell the Muppets to Disney played a role in his passing. “The Disney deal is probably what killed Jim. It made him sick,” Oz said. “[Then Disney CEO Michael] Eisner was trying to get Sesame Street, too, which Jim wouldn’t allow. But Jim was not a dealer, he was an artist, and it was destroying him, it really was.”

I liked the weird animated-comic netflix version series, mostly because of Kenjiro Tsuda VA ... but live action mini-sodes with him? EVEN BETTER.  The episodes are again very short (6 minutes?) so an easy watch.  Just short bits of the character re: household tasks/advice.

Like I'm sure for many of his legions of fans ... if one could marry a voice, I would marry his. :lol:
Also, cat.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh that reminds me:

Birthright pt 1, TNG

Worf is an idiot.  Why did Bashier need to sneak on the Enterprise to use their equipment?  I don't remember his character that well from DS9, but my memory of the first season was that he wasn't... the bold 'I'ma gonna sneak on yer ship and fiddle wid yer equipment" type.  Could be wrong of course as I haven't seen an episode of DS9 since they first aired. 

Why in an episode that could have really highlighted the skills and benefits of a counselor is Troi barely in it and when she is she kind of treats Worf unsympathetically?  Why does Data go to Worf and not Troi for advice? Yes I know it sets up Worf's revelations of what he needs to do, but there doesn't seem a reason other than plot expediency. Why does the security chief of the Enterprise not seem to recognize that the situation he finds himself in at the end of the episode is not as he'd been told and change his plans?  Because he's an idiot, see first statement.  Also Data gets an upgrade, I guess.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

25 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Best Trek (DS9 and TNG) is staying a while longer

Doesn't seem to affect international distribution anyway, or Netflix hasn't put up any info yet. So we get to "enjoy" VOY on Neftlix longer, "yay!" :yes:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'll miss seeing Janeway try to kill off the crew of Voyager.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

Try? Ask Tuvix about "trying" to kill the crew off. :p

I purposefully don't remember any episode featuring Neelix.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

241060693_4495531260467270_2939565936445

Moirane, standing in the White Tower, looking out over Tar Valon's harbour.

Apparently the proper trailer for Wheel of Time will be out tomorrow...

• Like 1

Since Star Trek on Netflix is going away, I'm going to finish up TOS. Kirk killed Jack the Ripper, who is actually a space ghost or something. With a transporter. And now I'm at the Tribble episode.

I already watched Voyager and as far as I know there were no more Trek shows after that. Anyone who says otherwise is just having a nightmare. So I don't think I'll miss much until Paramount takes away DS9.

22 hours ago, ShadySands said:

TOS, Enterprise, and Voyager are leaving Netflix at the end of September. 

Good thing I have the TOS on DVD then.  The original ones, not the digitally enhanced ones. Nothing "wrong" with the enhanced backdrops/planets and all that but ... I like having the original versions.  Edit: I didn't like the changes to the outside ship view and credits that much tho...

Only have season 5, 6 and 7 of TNG on DVD tho (the rest were on VHS, which I probably still have some of  but threw most away because too bulky).  There's a few episodes here and there from the earlier seasons (Q episodes, Borg episodes, maybe some Data episodes) that I dearly love but I never felt like buying the entire season/s again on DVD just to have them.

Note: to this day when I'm feeling kinda down I sometimes rewatch "Spock's Brain" - never fails to make me laugh hysterically.  :shifty:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watched "Beckett" on Netflix, mostly because it was filmed in Greece, so all the filming in Athens was done near me. The scenes for the political rally I had walked past the filming. There is a scene where he stands in front of a parking lot, looking at some street art and when I was looking for an apartment, one of those I had considered overlooks that parking lot.

It is funny though seeing him teleport all over the city centre. It starts with him arriving in Athens from the south, even though he was north of Athens. He then takes public transport at what must be Petralona Station (used to live a 2 minute stroll from that) for three stops to get to Omonia (where I live now) to get to the US Embassy. He should have gotten off one station earlier, at Monastiraki, changed to the blue line and taken the Metro three stations to Megaro Mousikis, which is the stop almost outside the embassy doors. As is, he had to walk 40 minutes.

When he finds the aforementioned parking lot (which he shouldn't have based on the street name the activists gave him, as the street at that point isn't called that yet (though they would quite possibly have given him the wrong name in reality as well)), he enters a basement from street level, then comes out on a parking in the back... that looks more like Exarcheia. Where a bookstore like that would be, since that is where stores like that are and where activists would meet. Which is also where he is then running. Running up that hill like a Kate Bush song, he then appears approaching Syntagma from the other side.

They are tiny little things that I just find amusing. They are all just results of location scouting and getting permission for filming. It happens in every film, but this time it happened in a location I know extremely well and depicting also social groups I know rather well :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

4 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

And now I'm at the Tribble episode.

Earlier this year an online friend of mine kept hiding Tribbles around the house for her daughter to find. And every day when the girl thought she had found them all, more and more would appear.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I watched the entirety of the new Macgyver.  It was never a show that I think ever managed to click entirely but it wasn't unentertaining.  It had a very shaky start (they ditched the original pilot and completely retooled it not long before it premiered including completely changing a lot of the cast) and it showed.  So I can't blame anyone for tuning out, they started with a wildly uneven show that could easily be tuned out.  I also think it suffered from 'team-itis' a bit (the original show as I recall was mostly just Mac and occasionally some other re-occurring guys + Dana Elcar at the bookends, the new show was Mac and his team being led from a base being fed intel which is used for a whole lot of shows (Arrow, Flash, Scorpion, etc) and the emphasis on the team is pretty much every drama show on the US (NCIS, Hawaii 5-O, Law and Order: SVU, Arrow, Flash, etc).)  

So RDA is right, there was more violence, because the team have to be showcased and one of the team is new-Mac's protector and a military guy (later replaced with a military lady), and 100% more computer hacking because the team had to be showcased and one of the team they recruited from prison because they'd hacked the US government. But also new-Mac did solve problems creatively and non-lethally, usually once or twice an episode with his VO explaining what he was doing and how.

Probably the real strength was the cast, who I thought managed to shake off the rough start and gel as an ensemble but YMMV.  They also had a fun re-occurring villain in David Dastmalchian's Murdoc that got lost as the show itself lost its focus in some poorly realized dramatic stories, rather than sticking to their strength with lighter stories.  I'm sure the actors appreciated the chance to stretch their acting muscles, but IMO a lot of the drama stuff (like the stuff with new-Mac's dad) was poorly conceptualized and therefore stood out as flat area in the episodes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wow, Amanda Tapping from Stargate looks like she hasn't aged at all.

My daughter asked about the Godfather the other day ( a horse head scene in particular) so of course I had to have us watch it. I could only find it on the Pea**** network, so I dropped $5 on a subscription so we could watch it. We started it a couple days ago, but when we went to resume the showing last night, it was completely gone from Pea****!

I don't know what the heck happened. I found it on Paramount, which is a channel I can add on Amazon for a buck. I did that, but I am still annoyed. I mean, I'm only out $6 at this point, but it still was weird that it just disappeared.

Anyways, trying to watch a 3+ hour movie is extremely hard in this day and age. We should be done by Sunday and ready to start the sequel.