The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

39 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Honestly ViacomCBS seems to be happy with his work; I'm guessing that the ST shows have driven users to CBS ALL ACCESS and subsequently PARAMOUNT+ regardless of the internet reaction.

That said with so much expansion in the ST shows, I can't imagine Kurtzman will have the ability to be superhands onto every project.  So who gets picked to showrun might be more important.

Also does it help that he mentions a Worf pitch?

Sorry, I missed this somehow. I thought there was something about there being less interest in licensing nuTrek stuff and critical reviews being less kind as the seasons progressed. I know the fan/internet reaction is all over the place and hard to quantify but I guess as long as ViacomCBS is happy, and it seems that they are, then that's all that matters. 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I don't think streaming services have to disclose viewership numbers, so we don't necessarily know how many people watch Nu Trek shows. I think CBS and Paramount are desperately trying to generate as much content as possible for their platforms, quality of said content is secondary to quantity. There are 764,423,227 different paid streaming services right now, that is not a sustainable model. Eventually things will shake out leaving only a handful.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm looking at you Risa episode

What? Worf joining a terrorist group because he hates fun is absolutely hilarious.

10 hours ago, Sarex said:

Yeah, don't gaze too long lest they get a couple of more seasons...

It's too late, there will be seasons of nuTrek till the end of time, which Alex Kurtzman turning himself into a cyborg just so he can be in charge Trek forever.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-show-release-date-and-first-image-revealed/

In this age of brilliant fantasy TV  adoptions, like GoT and the Witcher , their now is a Lord of the Rings series in the making

Im excited but its set before the Hobbit and Lord of Rings main narrative....Im not sure about what that will mean and will it be entertaining?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I think CBS and Paramount are desperately trying to generate as much content as possible for their platforms, quality of said content is secondary to quantity.

This is my theory as well. For them bad content is better than no content.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Last I heard the MegaCity 1 TV show that was being developed (with the possibility Urban might guest star occasionally as Dredd) was still in development, but I admit its been awhile since I heard any new news.

It was a pity Dredd wasn't received well enough to get an automatic sequel; I really liked it and Urban as Dredd and Thirlby as Anderson were both good, IMO.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

E7zdJNXVkAIPchb?format=jpg&name=4096x409

September 2nd, 2022. Lord of the Rings on Prime.

As a Silmarillion-nerd, loving that they're gonna adapt some of that book. (The Two Trees of Valinor in the background attest to that). Rumours say the two first episodes will be prologue of sorts that will set up the rest of the show. My guess is they want to show why Galadriel (and co) left the "Gods", and why there is division between the houses of the elves (relevant to the forging of the rings of power), as well as the raising of Numenor/Atlantis - since the rest of the show will take place in the Second Age.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raithe said:

I liked both Dredd movies, the Stalone one and the Karl Urban one.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

13 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-show-release-date-and-first-image-revealed/

In this age of brilliant fantasy TV  adoptions, like GoT and the Witcher , their now is a Lord of the Rings series in the making

Im excited but its set before the Hobbit and Lord of Rings main narrative....Im not sure about what that will mean and will it be entertaining?

Supposedly Jeff Bezos told the showrunners: "I want Game of Thrones". I imagine he meant the quality and success of the first seasons instead of its ending.

As @Maedhrossaid above, they will adapt part of The Silmarillion and that definitely draws my attention. However, I'm also a little concerned after hearing about some problems in the production, like actors and a Tolkien scholar leaving the show. They also hired an "intimacy scenes expert", so we know what part of GoT they are definitely copying.

It already cost over a billion dollars, half of that just the price of acquiring the rights, so if it is not a success it will be an epic fail. With The Wheel of Time already filming its second season, I wouldn't expect any less for LotR. Amazon probably already committed to at least a second season.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

4 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Supposedly Jeff Bezos told the showrunners: "I want Game of Thrones". I imagine he meant the quality and success of the first seasons instead of its ending.

As @Maedhrossaid above, they will adapt part of The Silmarillion and that definitely draws my attention. However, I'm also a little concerned after hearing about some problems in the production, like actors and a Tolkien scholar leaving the show. They also hired an "intimacy scenes expert", so we know what part of GoT they are definitely copying.

It already cost over a billion dollars, half of that just the price of acquiring the rights, so if it is not a success it will be an epic fail. With The Wheel of Time already filming its second season, I wouldn't expect any less for LotR. Amazon probably already committed to at least a second season.

It was announced as a multiyear project, Hollywood Reporter putting it at 5 seasons.

• Thanks 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In fairness, The Silmarillion needs HEAVY modification to adapt to the screen. I very recently listened to The Silmarillion on audiobook and I couldn't imagine a very faithful adaptation on the screen.

Some people get really upset over movie or TV show adaptations taking liberties with the source material, but they need to understand that not all, I'd go so far as to say very few, novels adapt well to the screen without serious modifications.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

6 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

In fairness, The Silmarillion needs HEAVY modification to adapt to the screen. I very recently listened to The Silmarillion on audiobook and I couldn't imagine a very faithful adaptation on the screen.

Some people get really upset over movie or TV show adaptations taking liberties with the source material, but they need to understand that not all, I'd go so far as to say very few, novels adapt well to the screen without serious modifications.

You are right about the two things. But changes and adaptations can be done in a good way, even improving the source material. A good example is The Expanse. Book Ashford was terrible when compared to the tv show. And generally the changes they made are easy to understand and sometimes even work better.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Forget ‘Lord of the Rings,’ Amazon’s Next Big Fantasy Hit Might Be ‘The Wheel of Time’ | Decider

This might sound sort of silly, but one thing that people seem to like in their television shows is hot people. The Wheel of Time is a high fantasy series that really appreciates hotness in its characters. Think I’m joking? The first novel (and series as a whole) follow an agelessly beautiful Aes Sedai named Moiraine (played by the celestially beautiful Rosamund Pike) and her incredibly handsome Warder Lan (played by actual professional hot model man Daniel Henney) as they guide five youths on an epic journey of danger and destiny. And those five youths — the Emonds Field Five — are all canonically attractive people who get caught up in passionate romances, flirtations, and even polyamorous relationships.

In fact, the reason why I think The Wheel of Time has the potential to crossover with a more mainstream audience is because so much of it is focused on the a tight knit group of friends as they navigate life’s challenges. It’s Lord of the Rings meets a teen soap (and yet isn’t “YA”). The series imagines how a real teenager would react to learning they wield extraordinary power and responsibility. (Probably kind of not well!) Or how a bossy older sister type would handle the news that the kids she’s grown up guiding have a new Aes Sedai controlling them. (Also not well!) There are crushes and kisses, fights and epic acts of loyalty. It is as much a show about three handsome, bonehead boys and two pushy, brave, and beautiful girls having an adventure as Netflix hit Outer Banks is! Except instead of searching for treasure, the kids in The Wheel of Time are trying to escape monsters and demonic beings all while learning to wield magic.

And did I mention everyone is hot? Well, they are. And they aren’t laden with dwarf beards or elf ears, either. The Wheel of Time lets hot people be hot.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I can easily see this falling into "young adult" territory, but I hope not. Robert Jordan was one of the few post-Tolkien fantasy writers of his time who managed to create a somewhat "believeable" fantasy world. For all its flaws, it's pretty similar to A Song of Ice and Fire in the sense that even very minor characters feel fleshed out, and with their own special motivations.

Happy about Rosamund Pike as Moiraine, she's a very good actor. Daniel Henney seems like he completely lacks the gravitas to play Lan though.

• Like 2

Wow, that's so obviously shot in Toronto :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

27 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Wow, that's so obviously shot in Toronto :lol:

That explains why I can't see the video at all. Good job making sure my eyes are safe YouTube! :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, majestic said:

That explains why I can't see the video at all. Good job making sure my eyes are safe YouTube! :p

I've had this issue with this forum very recently (wasn't like this up to a few/several days ago) where I often cannot see the embedded videos at all - it's just a blank forum space where they are.  But if I click back a page in the topic and back again, suddenly there they are.  It's been annoying.  I disable browser addons, even total-uninstalled/reinstalled my browser thinking that was the problem, but nope, still there.  Weird. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts