The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I got the impression that the overwhelming reaction to Waterworld at the time was one of indifference rather than hate- a decent amount of schadenfreude from its cost overruns, but even that was mostly passive "they spent that amount of money, on that?" type stuff rather than active dislike.

I remember parts of the press being hostile to it due to the overruns; it was referred to as Fishtar (reference to the Beatty/Hoffman flop comedy) and Kevin's Gate (reference to Heaven's Gate, the film that derailed director Michael Cimino's career) a lot.

I seem to recall Ebert and other critics reviews being mixed but less hostile.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

best we can say o' postman is it is our favorite tom petty movie.

HA! Good Fun!

I didn’t know this when I saw it but The Postman was based off a novel from the “70s. I found it in the library and gave it a read. It wasn’t terrible. It was a hell of a lot better than the movie that bore it little resemblance.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

TNG Ship in a Bottle

You know you've encountered Q too many times when you experience something that you state repeatedly defies the laws of physics and you just roll with it rather than look for ways that it could have been faked.

Episode mainly sails on the strength of Moriarty and Barclay.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Lieutenant Reginald Barclay is on my top shelf of reoccurring Star Trek characters, along with Chancellor Gowron, Ensign Ro Laren, and Q.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I didn't hate Waterworld, or The Postman.  But I didn't particularly like them either. They both had decent or funny moments but overall I found them both in the realm of "they're ok for passing some time."

My top Kevin Costner movies would probably be: No Way Out, Field of Dreams, A Perfect World, Open Range (Duvall) and The Highwaymen (w/Woody Harrelson). Most of the rest of his films, if I liked them a lot, it wasn't because of the specific presence of Costner.  eg, Thirteen Days (Bruce Greenwood and Steven Culp), Silverado (basically I love the entire ensemble cast),   Untouchables (Sean Connery, Andy Garcia etc) and so on.

I think Coster tends to fare better in quieter/less showboat-y or ensemble cast roles vs. being the "big star" of the film, if that makes sense.
I used to think that way of Tom Cruise too - he worked well within star-studded ensembles initially. Took a while for me to feel like he really held up a movie on his own.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

fandango (85) is not our favorite costner film, (a toss up 'tween bull durham and a perfect world) but it makes top five and and typical we get perplexed looks when we reference it. fantastic soundtrack btw.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think the Voyager spin-off is something Duncan McNeil has had in mind for some time and would like to put together in the new climate.  If so, he'll need to talk to Alex Kurtzman who recently made an overall deal for his production company to remain with Paramount, including possibly 6 more years heading the Star Trek franchise.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Amentep said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9529d7b4bf359d519573

There is no end to the nightmare in sight.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm really, really going to be intrigued to see what I think when I get around to Discovery/Picard/Short Treks/Lower Decks/Prodigy....

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

I'm really, really going to be intrigued to see what I think when I get around to Discovery/Picard/Short Treks/Lower Decks/Prodigy....

Good luck...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Remember, "if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

32 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Remember, "if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

Yeah, don't gaze too long lest they get a couple of more seasons...

• Haha 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

8 hours ago, Amentep said:

I think the Voyager spin-off is something Duncan McNeil has had in mind for some time and would like to put together in the new climate.  If so, he'll need to talk to Alex Kurtzman who recently made an overall deal for his production company to remain with Paramount, including possibly 6 more years heading the Star Trek franchise.

How can this happen? Is he secretly the owner of CBS?

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2

sign.jpg

8 hours ago, Amentep said:

But why? I thought that the feedback hadn't been that great? 

• Hmmm 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

My fear is that like me people tuned in to watch the train crash and thus created the illusion of popularity.

So it's your fault.

/grabs pitchfork

• Gasp! 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

30 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

But why? I thought that the feedback hadn't been that great? 

Honestly ViacomCBS seems to be happy with his work; I'm guessing that the ST shows have driven users to CBS ALL ACCESS and subsequently PARAMOUNT+ regardless of the internet reaction.

That said with so much expansion in the ST shows, I can't imagine Kurtzman will have the ability to be superhands onto every project.  So who gets picked to showrun might be more important.

Also does it help that he mentions a Worf pitch?

Eventually, a few of us wise up and stop paying attention to or watching most reboot? redone? re-started? stuff in the vague hope we'll think it's close to being "good." At least cynical old farts like me. :* 

15 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Also does it help that he mentions a Worf pitch?

Not for me. I found Worf (outside of some humorous interactions occasionally) and the Klingons in general to be one of the most boring things of STTNG.  No offense to Mr. Dorn - he was fine. And when they added that son of his ... I usually turned those episodes off.

Edit: I wonder if in part it was because I knew who Brian Bonsall was (the kid playing the son) - I remembered him from Family Ties. I didn't like him a whole lot there, either.  EditEdit: didn't find his addition funny/that great to that series, I mean.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just now, ShadySands said:

Worf works best/better in DS9

I've heard that a few times. If he stayed more often in his serious but sorta rational mode vs. his "Klingon machoism" mode, maybe I'd agree.  Still have never seen more than the first six or eight episodes of ss1 (and maybe a smattering of others) of DS9, tho.