hi, I think I had enough of all companions and sidekicks, and now instead of RPing something, I would like to try out an IWD style full custom party playthrough, but this time on POTD. however, please keep in mind this is not meta gaming for maximum power, I still wanna put some flair to my chars.

so what I'm quite sure is:
Watcher: savannah folk blood mage+priest of berath
Tank: mountain dwarf unbroken+goldpact
Healer/support: moon/nature godlike troubadour+psion/ancient
Offtank/melee in high armor: pale elf devoted+steel garrote

and for the last spot I cant decide what would be better from this 2:
Ranged dps: wood elf assassin+gunhawk
Melee dps: heart orlan debonaire+beguiler
or just mix this 2 into a wood elf debonaire+beguiler?

Edited by Faraleth

Just a couple thoughts:

As per your other post, watch out for different paladin/priest dispositions. Every character in your party will get bonus/malus based on the Watcher's dispositions.

Gunhawk is not an available subclass except on Maia Rua unless I guess you mod your game

Edited by Not So Clever Hound

7 minutes ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

As per your other post, watch out for different paladin/priest dispositions. Every character in your party will get bonus/malus based on the Watcher's dispositions.

so Priest of Berath works perfectly with Goldpact knight, both stoic+rational.
and instead of Bleak Walker, maybe Steel garrote could be the 2h offtank in this group (+rational)

yeah, I know about Gunhawk, my game is modded so those are also unlocked at creation

3 hours ago, Faraleth said:

Watcher: savannah folk blood mage+priest of berath
Healer/support: moon/nature godlike troubadour+psion/ancient
Offtank/melee in high armor: pale elf devoted+steel garrote

and for the last spot I cant decide what would be better from this 2:
Ranged dps: wood elf assassin+gunhawk
Melee dps: heart orlan debonaire+beguiler
or just mix this 2 into a wood elf debonaire+beguiler?

maaaybe this?

Caster damage/buffer: savannah folk blood mage+priest of berath
Offtank/melee: pale elf devoted+steel garrote
Ranged chanter: hearth orlan troubadour+gunhawk
Melee dps/debuffer: wood elf debonaire+beguiler

Edited by Faraleth

I think that would be great. Skald + Beguiler to roundout Melee/CC and Gunhawk/Rogue for ranged damage + the bird isn't a terrible pet IMO. The Gunhawk/Assassin would require quite a bit of micromanagement to be used effectively. A Gunhawk/Streetfighter with at least one blunderbuss/hand mortar and another blunderbuss/hand mortar/pistol could potentially be a nice alternative, requiring less micro?

• Thanks 1

With a Blunderbuss/Hand Mortar and the Powder Burns modal on, you will trigger Disoriented (flanked) on yourself when shooting, which will trigger Heating Up while remaining away from the action (especially with the Gunhawk bonus Range). Placement is important then to avoid friendly fire but you can shoot very fast and do lots of damage.

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Hmmm 1

36 minutes ago, Faraleth said:

isnt Streetfighter a loss on a ranged char where I have to avoid getting damaged?

Steering a bit away from the Gunhawk, sorry ;) ... but one of the best single-target Streetfighters I ever played was a ranged Troubadour/Streetfighter with Gunner, Sure Handed Ila + Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr and Upgraded Whisps summons which shoot at your character to trigger Heating Up (and after enough lightning dmg even "On the Edge"). Sure Handed Ila applies both -20% recovery time AND -20% reloading time to all reloading weapons (guns + crossbows). On top came the Heating-Up bonus with 50% recovery bonus and Gunner with -20%. Using the Red Hand the shooting speed and also the damage per shot were pretty awesome. Leaving the arquebus modal on for +20 ACC was barely noticable imo. Needs some non-pierce weapon as backup of course (e.g. Eccea's Arcane Blaster or so). You can add Deltro's Cage Helmet. The whisps don't do a lot of dmg per hit but it's a "free" additional shocking lash so why not? 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 7/21/2021 at 2:33 PM, Boeroer said:

ranged Troubadour/Streetfighter with Gunner, Sure Handed Ila + Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr and Upgraded Whisps summons

isnt Gunner a ranger only talent?

• Thanks 1

Ah sorry for the confusion - I meant the armor "Sharpshooter's Garb" from Maia. The passive on that is called Gunnery, not Gunner. 🥴
You can stack it with "Shootist" from Acina's Tricorn if you don't go for Deltro's Cage Helmet (which looks a bit ridiculous with that armor anyway). I like to also bring Cutthroat Cosmo. Not beause it's the best pet for this (it's good though) but because your pet then has the same hat as you. ;) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I'm currently planning to give my Debonaire/Helwalker Frostseeker and my Psion/Priest of Wael a Whale of a Wand for "free charms" here and there. Any caster with a Whale of a Wand would work for it though (but Psion is even better because of his own charm, and Ectopsychic is good to generate some spell hits for the wand). But thinking about this Froseeker + Stunning Surge crits in advance is delightful (even without Debonaire Hits to Crits, Frostseeker gives you 3 chances of crits for stunning surge instead of 2 for a DW Full attack). 

When it's about Stunning Surge Frostseeker is nice. But the AoE on crit will not stun. Same with the other attack abilities of the Debonaire side.

Because of that I prefer rods or mortars.

The damage output of Frostseeker might be better though.

I never checked if a Whale of a Wand procs charmed with every pulse of a spell - e.g. Binding Weg or Pull of Eora. If so then it might be great with an Arcane Archer (if the Imbue effects count as spells that is). With Driving Flight and from stealth you can "cast" two instances of Binding Web and two of Pull of Eora very quickly. Okay... Maybe that's stupid because wouldn't the charmed enemies flip back immediately because Web & Pull are friendly fire spells (which would crit bc. of the charm? And then they get charmed again and so on? Haha, want a mess that would be...

Did a quick test. Pulsing spells work (cool) - but unfortunately the imbue spells of an Arcane Archer don't seem to count. Neither as spells for the charm nor as weapon attacks for the other procs of the wand. Too bad... :(  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

When it's about Stunning Surge Frostseeker is nice. But the AoE on crit will not stun. Same with the other attack abilities of the Debonaire side.

Because of that I prefer rods or mortars.

Rods are sweet indeed. I already picked the proficiency with my Debonaire/Helwalker, it's not like you can't switch. Mortar range is a bit tedious.

The damage output of Frostseeker might be better though.

Better for applying an affliction or to get the refund to a single target. So slightly less situational.
And that range is convenient.

I never checked if a Whale of a Wand procs charmed with every pulse of a spell - e.g. Binding Weg or Pull of Eora.

I haven't checked, but i see no reason why it won't work. Mind Blades would be a good backup. True DoT won't work.

The good thing with Ectoplastic is that it is foe-only and has 1s pulse (so hard to top vs few targets).

If so then it might be great with an Arcane Archer (if the Imbue effects count as spells that is).

I won't be too sure, as a spell is usually an "ability cast by a caster".

With Driving Flight and from stealth you can "cast" two instances of Binding Web and two of Pull of Eora very quickly. Okay... Maybe that's stupid because wouldn't the charmed enemies flip back immediately because Web & Pull are friendly fire spells (which would crit bc. of the charm? And then they get charmed again and so on? Haha, want a mess that would be...

The actual "Confusion" ahahahah

EDIT : Ninja'd, but I was right. I start to get a good intuition about these mechanics works.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Haha 1