Improvements for the Combat System

I have been thinking for quite some time about how to make the melee combat in KOTOR more interesting. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but it could be so much better.

A few suggestions:

1. Make one-handed fighting better. There's absolutely no question that a master of two-weapon had a huge advantage over a master of dueling. Maybe the solution is to give master duelists a much higher attack rating but do less damage (or the same amount since they only have one weapon).

2. Explore different fighting styles with different light sabers. If anyone recalls, Dooku in episode 2 had a curved light saber hilt meant specifically for dueling. It was much harder to use, but far more deadly than the average light saber. He used a bit of a rapier mixed with long-sword style.

Also, when Revan has the vision in the first game of bastilla confronting Revan, Revan does this awesome spin with his/her light saber and then drops into a sort of raised katana stance before he/she gets blown up by Malak. That could be an awesome style and there's no denying the asian influence in Star Wars.

A single-weapon character could also have a more chinese style of fighting like Li Mu Bai in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I think being able to learn the different styles would be totally awesome and severely ramp up the replayability.

3. It may be possible to incorporate some new light sabers and styles that go with them. For Instance, how about creating a bastard sword/claymore sized light saber with a long-long (and maybe wider blade) with a two handed hilt. It would be longer range and more powerful but also more cumbersome and harder to wield.

Another possible weapon could be a spear-like saber with a vibro-pole (so it can repel light saber strikes) and would also create a totally new style to go along with it (a la Onimusha 3, Bushido Blade, etc.).

Anyway, I think this would make the combat system much more badass, because when you think about it what makes a jedi a badass (at least a light jedi)? The light-saber. Make the light sabers cooler and more varied and you will get five times the replayability in the game without having to add more quests or story. This is purely a modification of the existing engine.

Let me know what you think (hopefully a dev will let me know....)

I don't think I really agree with that thinking. To me someone who has mastered the art of two-hand weaponry can do more damage then someone who has just mastered it one-handed. So I think the advantage should learn more towards the two handed characters. I think to balance that Bioware made those outrageous defense subtractions. To make sure that you would earn that extra bonus. Hell the most effective combat combination on the game is a two-handed lightsaber with Master Flurry and Master Speed. And that's the way it should be IMHO.

-Samori

Combat was passable in the first game.

I agree that two-handed fighting had a strong statistical advantage. Whether or not one believes one style to be superior or not in real-life, in a game there should be a semblance of balance.

The most obvious and necessary improvement - the PARTY DISENGAGE button! Even in the easy KOTOR brainless rushes of the party NPCs at everything hostile was a big annoyance. It should be possible to retreat/run away if the party is overmatched and allow demolitions person time to disarm mines !!!!

There need to be more _active_ combat feats, period. And they should be conducive to good tactical combinations. In KOTOR1 combat was pretty dull with any characters except for Jedi and in part droids and consisted of spamming the same feat over and over. That's why most people played exclusively Jedi parties - not because Jedi are more powerful fighters, but because you could actually do a variety of things with them in combat.

IMHO, at the very least there needs to be a "defensive stance" feat that increases AC at the cost of a penalty to BAB and damage (and Jedi should only be able to deflect blaster fire when in this stance) and a "roundhouse" attack that allows to hit several opponents positioned around the character at once, also at the penalty to BAB and damage and a hefty AC penalty for the next round. Ideally, there should be a couple of other active feats as well.

I also think that Force Jump should be an actively used power and tweaked so that it wouldn't be derailed so easily by ramps, clueless party NPCs, mines, etc.

Finally, _one_ quick weapon slot, while a very welcome improvement won't by itself make non-Jedi characters interesting enough in combat. It seems that skill-based characters will at long last get their place under the sun :(, but more needs to be done for soldiers. IMHO they either need to get more quick slots than other classes (probably not feasible at this point) _or_ they should be able to equip wrist and arm mounted weapons in the shield and glove slots like droids do and those weapons should have various interesting effects not directly duplicated by Force powers. These weapons could be either restricted to soldiers or require both Heavy Armor and Heavy Weapons feats and equipped heavy armor to be used.

Oh, and Jedi should not be able to deflect fire from disruptor rifles.

One thing which strikes me is that characters don't move around enough when fighting. They're rooted to the same spot, only moving to engage fresh targets.

I don't know how you'd do it, but it would be nice to have characters push each other back, circle each other, roll, dodge and so on. Like in the films. Circling each other would be a good chance to trade insults, rather than the situation in KOTOR where the enemy lets down their guard while they talk to you.

I can somewhat deal with them not moving around each other. What I can't stand is having to micromanage all three characters. The only thing the Jedi do automatically is use cure or a version of Master Valor. You would think if there's a dark jedi or a solider right in front of them they would slash or something. But not they just stand there a let themselves get hit. PLEASEEEEE make the AI at least somewhat more believable than that in the next game. If that ill is cured I think I can deal with the other deficiencies.

-Samori