Anime - Do you Understannnnnnndu?

Amentep

Old thread - 

Previous posts:

2 hours ago, majestic said:

You know that makes me curious, you devil you. Anyway, what's going on, based on your reaction I'll be expecting something supremely weird. Does it dip into Devilman Crybaby territory?

2 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

It's a different kind of weird, especially once season 2 starts. I don't know how to describe it without spoilers, but it's more funny than depressing.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Any tumors that grow into weird JoJo punching stands? :p

To answer your question from a couple of posts ago, yeah, I did get to see the Empress. This just keeps getting weirder.

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

No, but there is an anthromorphized okapi stripper who almost gets eaten in the strip club before a gang of lions beat up a tiger.

When the stand punching tumor isn't even the weirdest thing in the episode, you know things are weird. Just wait until you get to the second half of the series and Iggy shows up.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, majestic said:

@KP the meanie zucchini

I see, that sounds totally awesome. ;) Might be the next thing after Utena, Clear Card and JoJo's is wrapped up. Or maybe I'll finish Love Live! first.

It is, I highly recommend it. I am unsure how to describe more without spoilers though.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Right at the start of Clear Card, all of Sakura's old cards became inert. Or rather, completely free of magic. Shaoran on the other hand suddenly had a massive power upgrade, and in this episode now summoned a wind based binding attack that looked suspiciously like Windy.

I'm just going to consider this non-canon from now on, because if Shaoran has Sakura's cards, then... honestly, I hope she blasts him back to Hong Kong.

Spoiler

Actually, Meiling would do just that too. A few episodes ago she threatend Shaoran that he better not do anything to hurt Sakura.

Toya keeps on refusing to tell Yukito what he's up to, even though it clearly disturbs him.

Let me put this bluntly: F*ck this douchewaffling. You're all worse than Mamoru ever was, and I hate you. And f*ck you too, Clear Card, how can you be this bad? How? Why?

• Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

In a fun coincidence, this next epsiode has Yukito reading from a children's book called Night on the Galactic Railroad.

Heh.

That's funny on a meta level.

Shaoran had a phone call with Wei and his sisters crept up and wanted him to turn on video. That was fun, at least. The rest of this is still so Clear Card. It feels like this Star Trek and Star Wars fan fiction written by Jar Jar Abrams, except it's from the author of the original. Which makes this so much worse.

I guess Ms. Okawa was abducted and replaced by shapeshifting reptiloids or eaten by body snatchers at some point between 2001 and 2016. ;(

Edited by majestic

Next up, an episode called Sakura, Rainbows and Grandpa.

I can't wait for Clear Card to ruin that too. Well, let's see what it brings...

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

Next up, an episode called Sakura, Rainbows and Grandpa.

I can't wait for Clear Card to ruin that too. Well, let's see what it brings...

Nothing is safe from Uncle Grandpa.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I was close to posting "not even Clear Card can mess this up" because the episode was really coming together nicely until... it decided to spend the last five minutes or so of the episode on that ridiculous storyline of this arc.

14 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Nothing is safe from Uncle Grandpa.

That might be, but Sakura's great-grandfather featured in two really great episodes of the first anime. @Bartimaeus called the first one a mini-Ghibli movie, and that's pretty much spot on. :p

Got any futher with Violet Evergarden perhaps? :) 

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Got any futher with Violet Evergarden perhaps?

I dived in too deep to s2 of Beastars. Maybe later tonight, but something about those funny animals keeps drawing me in and making me laugh. I just can't stop myself. I'm sure you understannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndu.

1 minute ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I dived in too deep to s2 of Beastars. Maybe later tonight, but something about those funny animals keeps drawing me in and making me laugh. I just can't stop myself. I'm sure you understannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndu.

There's a lot of things Violet Evergarden can make you do, but laugh is usually not amongst them. It's definitely the wrong material if you're in the mood for something funny. :)

How far have you gotten, anyway? First episode? Because the first two are really slow, and the third one takes a long time to get anywhere, and then it suddenly... dunno. There's something about the ending of episode three that makes all the setup worthwhile. :yes:

Although nobody's getting almost burned to death by a car that shoots gasoline like bullets. Heh.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

There's a lot of things Violet Evergarden can make you do, but laugh is usually not amongst them. It's definitely the wrong material if you're in the mood for something funny. :)

How far have you gotten, anyway? First episode? Because the first two are really slow, and the third one takes a long time to get anywhere, and then it suddenly... dunno. There's something about the ending of episode three that makes all the setup worthwhile. :yes:

Although nobody's getting almost burned to death by a car that shoots gasoline like bullets. Heh.

I'm on episode 2, but I got sidetracked with horror flicks and Beastars.

And no one is sumo wrestling the cars either, but I guess nothing can out JoJo JoJo. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

And no one is sumo wrestling the cars either, but I guess nothing can out JoJo JoJo. 

Kill la Kill came close by volume of sheer insanity at times. It's not quite the same, but Nonon and Nui wouldn't be that out of place in JoJo's, if they were a bit less bubbly and more dead serious.

Anyway, Clear Card just decided to have a long conversation between Toya and Fujitaka. Whenever the show recalls its past strengths, it suddenly becomes good. Sakura's father reveals that he has an idea of what Sakura is up to, but knows he has no choice but to her that she'll do the right thing.

Everything about this scene, except the god awful animation, is (almost?) as good as the original. Maybe there's hope yet for a second season, should there ever be one made.

On episode 2 means you haven't finished it yet? Or has Violet found her, uhm, true calling yet (and messed it up as only she can)?

edit:

Great, now Sakura's great-grandfather has given her a key that once belonged to her mother. Really show, is this where you're going? Let's hope this is just a stupid key, not... a key key. God dammit Clear Card.

edit 2:

Look at MTS #2 confirming that the continuity errors are most likely related to Mr. Creepy Butler's magical time manipulation powers. Assuming he erased the seond movie entirely so that they can live in the house that's torn down right at the start of said film, that also explains a few things that were really weird between the characters and the way they interact(ed).

That does reveal a level of care that went into planning this out. Misguided as that entire storyline is, it was planned out. Doesn't make it better. At least, not much.

Edited by majestic

Clear Card, final episode (for now, and finally).

Kero and

Spoiler

Yue

, who finally learned what is going on last episode (and the audience with them) decide, it's a good idea to start douchewaffling Sakura to. Nobody has the idea that maybe someone should tell her what's going on.

What the hell, guys? The flimsy excuse the two come up with is beause MTS #2 decided not to tell her, there must be a good reason for it.

Sure. Let's see just how much worse this can get.

Sakura has an English lesson with a teacher that's actually not that bad at English. He calls out Sakura and she knows an answer just because she has a Hope card (or had, wherever they are now - still guessing Shaoran has them).

The teacher enthusiastically replies with EXACTRY. Hahahaha. Well, at least Engrish is never not funny.

Edited by majestic

28 minutes ago, majestic said:

Kill la Kill came close by volume of sheer insanity at times. It's not quite the same, but Nonon and Nui wouldn't be that out of place in JoJo's, if they were a bit less bubbly and more dead serious.

Come to think of it, that's the closest I can think of. And even then it feels different than JoJo.

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

EXACTRY

• Haha 1

Well, goodbye Clear Card, it was not very much fun knowing you.

People weren't kidding when they said this just ends. It's not even a cliffhanger. It just... ends after some story reveals. Good job team.

At least that's out of the way, and I can watch something more fun. Like paint dry, or Love Live!

• Sad 1

Finally deciding to watch Cowboy Bebop.

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

31 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Finally deciding to watch Cowboy Bebop.

Still sitting on the backburner for me...

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Well, goodbye Clear Card, it was not very much fun knowing you.

People weren't kidding when they said this just ends. It's not even a cliffhanger. It just... ends after some story reveals. Good job team.

At least that's out of the way, and I can watch something more fun. Like paint dry, or Love Live!

At least it's finally over. It didn't quite live up to the original show, but I'm super glad to hear it was ever so close, :yes:.

4 hours ago, majestic said:

In a fun coincidence, this next epsiode has Yukito reading from a children's book called Night on the Galactic Railroad.

Weirdly, I saw it (as well as Scipio's Dream) mentioned in the lyrics of a Utena song as well - literally on the night of the same day I watched Night on the Galactic Railroad. Was a little weird, :p.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Utena, up to episode 14. I feel like I no longer have any clue what's going on in this show. majestic wasn't kidding about this show going places...and ye gods, I'm really getting a little sick and tired of people having siblings. Let no other characters have siblings for the rest of this entire show, thank you very much.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Just now, majestic said:

You don't like Anthy's brother then? :(

No, no I did not. All these sick bastards are making Nanami look wholesome in comparison...at least she's stayed relatively above board with her disgusting love for her brother, I think. ...I think.

• Gasp! 1

You got a Miki and Kozue focused episode coming up too. That also goes places... just not as far as the others. Yet?

Spoiler

It does have Kozue leaning meaningfully over a sleeping Miki, but they're interrupted by Anthy of all people. She didn't seem to mind, but Kozue hates her anyway.

I really wonder if there's a point to this, or if either the writers or Ikuhara just had bad experiences with his own family.

• Hmmm 1

Episode 17 dealt with Jury and her falling out with her best friend. I might have no idea what's going on most of the time, and the both implied and somewhat explicit incest themes are pretty squicky (ugh, Anthy, why?) but the way Revolutionary Girl Utena ties the duels to more information about the characters is really well done.

Not sure why Saionji was expelled for an unsanctioned duel, but the brainwashed Black Rose zombies can challenge Utena nilly willy and not face any consequences. Granted, the show is certainly better off without Mr. Slaps-Anthy-For-Fun, but it could also do with less Toga, voiced by Dio or no. Hohumm.

Utena keeps giving the shadowplay characters advice. It's... baffling and hilarious.

Edited by majestic

If you guys are in to weird anime, give Chainsaw Man a go when it comes out, or else read the manga now (Alternatively for an even weirder story read Fire Punch).

• Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

18 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Alternatively for an even weirder story read Fire Punch

Is that the one where the protagonist regenerates and is constantly on fire?

I didn't expect HORU HOSU to meet a dignified end after the way he ran away last time, but that was kinda bad, even for him. Good job creepy old woman. :p

• Gasp! 1