Jump to content

Recommended Posts

iam looking at Ascetic, The, monk build, or mage. Dont mind the rogue  either but could not get rogue to work. Just some simple op melee build.  

I solo the game once long time ago but I have forgotten about game. Just want to try it one more time with an op build :)

i saw below build list too, so much to chose from

 

 

Edited by thegreen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know. Barbarian solo on PotD needs quite long to become good. I did an Ultimate with a Barb and is was more demanding than for example Wizard.

I think I would try Wizard. Prepare to rest a lot. ;)  

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Boeroer said:

I don't know. Barbarian solo on PotD needs quite long to become good. I did an Ultimate with a Barb and is was more demanding than for example Wizard.

I think I would try Wizard. Prepare to rest a lot. ;)  

Filthy casul 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2021 at 6:54 PM, Boeroer said:

I don't know. Barbarian solo on PotD needs quite long to become good. I did an Ultimate with a Barb and is was more demanding than for example Wizard.

I think I would try Wizard. Prepare to rest a lot. ;)  

Not necessarily, I restrict the breaks as much as I can, and with the wizard for example I have learned to make the most of the uses of the magics and the health bar, I have gotten into combats having the health bar in red, if I have run out of uses to use Infuse With Vital Essence, I have used its equivalent in potions, this has made me dispense with abusing the breaks and use a potion instead of its equivalent in magic, and give that use to another magic to cause damage, and if I had to attack melee I have done it and I have endured as I could, taking the wizard to the limit.

I give you an example, the map where are the mercenaries that have besieged Concelhaut, in that map there are many groups of mercenaries, any of those groups, only one of them, is able to make you spend all your magic uses if you go early (with level too fair), I have gone there with level 12 with my wizard (SOLO, POTD of course), and I have cleaned the entire map with only 3 rests, the 2 that I had and another one that was in the area, all that map, clean with 3 rests, I have seen gameplays of people even going to buy more rests and use many more xD

Everything is a matter of efficiency, to squeeze the most out of what each class offers, with Chanter I have done exactly the same, no more than 3 breaks on that map, or 2 breaks to clean the map of Caed Nua, exterior and interior, then have to go for another break to face Maerwal, but all the exterior and interior map, I have cleaned them with only 2 breaks, with chanter, with the wizard I needed 1 or 2 more breaks in that example hehe

Edited by davoker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure, later you can get away with fewer rests - because of spell mastery but also because certain gear and abilities/talents can counter the Wizard's weak starting values.

But as a solo wizard you'll have to rest a lot in the early to mid game if you want to avoid a ton of kiting and pulling. I mean compared to a Paladin or something. 

Even Barbs have to rest a lot in the early game despite their big health pool. Mostly because their deflection is so poor that  low health forces a rest often.

Chanters, too - because their initial health pool is quite small and their defenses not good enough (yet). 

Of course you can prevent that with certain tactics. But the question is what's more tedious? Trying to avoid resting by kiting, pulling to chokepoints etc. or simply rest more often? ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call resting less very efficient with a wizard.

You can nuke most fights in a matter of seconds and you get to take 2 camping supplies with you, so you probably get close to as far, as with dragging rests out by simply resting after each fight, especially if you can pull several mobs together and nuke them with aoes.

Besides that doing three very fast fight and then go get supplies will be much faster then dragging those fights out, even with the combined time of having to go get supplies and for most people efficiency is also related to time spent.

 

With classes like chanter and paladin it's very different, chanter has almost no per rest abilities, paladins most important one is per encounter.

To an extent the same is true for barbarians but the classic nuke barb will need to rest for hp soon, unless you spam potions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What really bothers me, in this case I'm talking about the chanter, is that in the advanced game, you find enemies that even using potion and/or scrolls to increase your accuracy, you find that some enemies you have a 9, 12, 15% chance of hitting them, even after having used potion and scroll to boost your accuracy...

In my run with only chanter in POTD that I did recently, I had a really hard time with some fights, actually there were 2 fights that for me, were the 2 hardest fights of the whole game (base game and DLCs), it was the fight against Llegranth and the Brynlod bounty hunter fight, specially the Brynlod fight, that fight was the real green hell of Rambo for me hahaha

The problem was that despite having 18 base perception, plus equipment and bonus, which put me with 24 or 25 perception, and taking potion and parchment to enhance my accuracy, and without being flanked, I could still see how my probability of success was less than 10%, rarely above 10%, I missed too much, the fight was too long in time and my life bar decreased to limits incompatible with life, basically xD (I had to make 4 or 5 attempts, maybe 6, until I managed to defeat the whole Brynlod group.)

I had thought about doing another build for chanter that would consist of lowering perception more and increasing CON, something like this:

As preference - Pale elf - Old vailia
MIG 18
CON 14
DEX 4 (the minimum for Pale Elf)
PER 14
INT 18
RES 10

Basically, take 4 points off PER (in my other game it was PER 18 and CON 10) to give it to CON and have a little more survival(Essentially to increase fortitude, but also to increase stamina and life for long fights), but here is where I see the problem, if with 18 PER I had such a low % chance to hit, with 14 this is impossible then? am I missing something? the chants and summons (like Seven Nights) of a chanter also depend on your accuracy no? if 18 of perception already meant me to see a 15% or less chance to hit some enemies, I don't see feasible to lower the perception to 14, however there are people who do it playing SOLO, there is something that escapes me here hehe

Edited by davoker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could become a Blacsonn user:

https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Pillars_of_Eternity_drugs

The bonus to ground effects might allow a scroll strategy to help like Tanglefoot on top of yourself.

Hobbled from tanglefoot:

Maybe there's an even better ground effect to make them easier to hit.  Example - deflection or whatever defense the Dragon Threshed or whatever the important Damage per Second is...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, davoker said:

What really bothers me, in this case I'm talking about the chanter, is that in the advanced game, you find enemies that even using potion and/or scrolls to increase your accuracy, you find that some enemies you have a 9, 12, 15% chance of hitting them, even after having used potion and scroll to boost your accuracy...

In my run with only chanter in POTD that I did recently, I had a really hard time with some fights, actually there were 2 fights that for me, were the 2 hardest fights of the whole game (base game and DLCs), it was the fight against Llegranth and the Brynlod bounty hunter fight, specially the Brynlod fight, that fight was the real green hell of Rambo for me hahaha

The problem was that despite having 18 base perception, plus equipment and bonus, which put me with 24 or 25 perception, and taking potion and parchment to enhance my accuracy, and without being flanked, I could still see how my probability of success was less than 10%, rarely above 10%, I missed too much, the fight was too long in time and my life bar decreased to limits incompatible with life, basically xD (I had to make 4 or 5 attempts, maybe 6, until I managed to defeat the whole Brynlod group.)

I had thought about doing another build for chanter that would consist of lowering perception more and increasing CON, something like this:

As preference - Pale elf - Old vailia
MIG 18
CON 14
DEX 4 (the minimum for Pale Elf)
PER 14
INT 18
RES 10

Basically, take 4 points off PER (in my other game it was PER 18 and CON 10) to give it to CON and have a little more survival(Essentially to increase fortitude, but also to increase stamina and life for long fights), but here is where I see the problem, if with 18 PER I had such a low % chance to hit, with 14 this is impossible then? am I missing something? the chants and summons (like Seven Nights) of a chanter also depend on your accuracy no? if 18 of perception already meant me to see a 15% or less chance to hit some enemies, I don't see feasible to lower the perception to 14, however there are people who do it playing SOLO, there is something that escapes me here hehe

LLengrath is incredibly easy with a chanter, because you can abuse the withdraw shield to kill off the mages and after that it's smooth sailing

Brynlodd definitely is a very hard fight for chanters but u gotta remember that besides chanting you have billion other tools and ofc summons.

Here's how I did those fights on my ultimate, been a long time so it probably wasn't even the best strategy, but it worked so I'll take it:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And as for my doubt about perception and accuracy? if with 24/5 perception (counting equipment and buffs) my hit chance on some enemies is less than 15% even (in advanced game), is it feasible to put 14 or 15 perception instead of 18 base? as I see it, it would lower more my chance to hit the enemies, it would be as not recommended to lower perception.

Using Blacsonn is an option, but I don't like the negative part of using it, my biggest problem with enemies in the advanced game is that my hit probability to hit enemies is very low having 24 or 25 perception and using potion and parchment to increase precision, something doesn't work for me (This is in the case of chanter, although with wizard it was quite similar).

Edited by davoker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davoker said:

And as for my doubt about perception and accuracy? if with 24/5 perception (counting equipment and buffs) my hit chance on some enemies is less than 15% even (in advanced game), is it feasible to put 14 or 15 perception instead of 18 base? as I see it, it would lower more my chance to hit the enemies, it would be as not recommended to lower perception.

Using Blacsonn is an option, but I don't like the negative part of using it, my biggest problem with enemies in the advanced game is that my hit probability to hit enemies is very low having 24 or 25 perception and using potion and parchment to increase precision, something doesn't work for me (This is in the case of chanter, although with wizard it was quite similar).

Personally I maxed it, that being said your summons don't profit from your per and will be your main dmg vs brynlod.

I guess you could respec just for that one fight, but neiter dex nor resolve will give you any edge whatsoever, so why even take points out of per, the fight will still be slow or even slower.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Raven Darkholme said:

Personally I maxed it, that being said your summons don't profit from your per and will be your main dmg vs brynlod.

I guess you could respec just for that one fight, but neiter dex nor resolve will give you any edge whatsoever, so why even take points out of per, the fight will still be slow or even slower.

But resolve brings to increase the deflection, I thought that the deflection was something vital for this type of chanter in which you play alone and you want to avoid as many hits as possible no? If it is not so vital, then it is worth taking some points away from resolve to give them to CON and leave the PER maximized, which is what I consider ideal, maybe 6 or 7 points less of resolve are not so relevant, it would be like 6 or 7 points less of deflection, I think I could live without that, even though I also lose more defense at will.

Edited by davoker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, davoker said:

But resolve brings to increase the deflection, I thought that the deflection was something vital for this type of chanter in which you play alone and you want to avoid as many hits as possible no? If it is not so vital, then it is worth taking some points away from resolve to give them to CON and leave the PER maximized, which is what I consider ideal, maybe 6 or 7 points less of resolve are not so relevant, it would be like 6 or 7 points less of deflection, I think I could live without that, even though I also lose more defense at will.

Resolve for deflection is only useful for Act 1 and super early in Act 2. Thankfully you can respec attributes unlike in deadfire.

Later on you get so much deflection from items that wasting resolve on it is pointless.

You might have seen in the vids I linked I had 127 deflection without potion and scroll and 149 with both up (and 139 if flanked).

As long as you have little saviour or similar items with +50 defenses while stunned, have fenwalker for - duration on paralyze and always enough vital essence potions and moonlight scrolls, that is plenty of deflection.

Lategame fortitude is much more important than deflection, especially in Llengrath fight with piggy spell, so I aim for 190 fort at least for that fight (as you saw I got that with maxed per) so con is definitely better than res.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Raven Darkholme said:

Resolve for deflection is only useful for Act 1 and super early in Act 2. Thankfully you can respec attributes unlike in deadfire.

Later on you get so much deflection from items that wasting resolve on it is pointless.

You might have seen in the vids I linked I had 127 deflection without potion and scroll and 149 with both up (and 139 if flanked).

As long as you have little saviour or similar items with +50 defenses while stunned, have fenwalker for - duration on paralyze and always enough vital essence potions and moonlight scrolls, that is plenty of deflection.

Lategame fortitude is much more important than deflection, especially in Llengrath fight with piggy spell, so I aim for 190 fort at least for that fight (as you saw I got that with maxed per) so con is definitely better than res.

Ooook,  understand, well, I don't usually do respec, so the attributes I put at the beginning, will be the definitive ones, I think I'll do another run with chanter leaving resolve out, DEX and RES to the minimum, everything else to MIG, CON, PER and INT, maybe I won't throw away all RES, but at least 4 or 5 points to give them to CON.

Thanks for the advice, I think this game will be more interesting, the lack of fortitude defense and the lack of life in some long fights (like Brynlod especially) made some fights complicated, not many, but I had a few attempts in those few fights that were complicated, the lack of life was a handicap in the longest ones, those extra points in CON will come in handy for that and for the fortitude defense.

I'm definitely not ready for the Triple Crown challenge yet, but I will be when I get a solo and no deaths 😅

Edited by davoker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, davoker said:

Ooook,  understand, well, I don't usually do respec, so the attributes I put at the beginning, will be the definitive ones, I think I'll do another run with chanter leaving resolve out, DEX and RES to the minimum, everything else to MIG, CON, PER and INT, maybe I won't throw away all RES, but at least 4 or 5 points to give them to CON.

Thanks for the advice, I think this game will be more interesting, the lack of fortitude defense and the lack of life in some long fights (like Brynlod especially) made some fights complicated, not many, but I had a few attempts in those few fights that were complicated, the lack of life was a handicap in the longest ones, those extra points in CON will come in handy for that and for the fortitude defense.

I'm definitely not ready for the Triple Crown challenge yet, but I will be when I get a solo and no deaths 😅

If you want to not respec and go low res early acts, you may wanna consider using this cheese:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raven Darkholme said:

If you want to not respec and go low res early acts, you may wanna consider using this cheese:

 

Omg, now I understand why in 3 or 4 occasions I could cast 2 invocations of that type in a row, I thought "I did something that allowed me to use it 2 times, I don't know what it is but it was good for me" 😆

Well, we'll see how it goes without those few points of deviation, as a preference I prefer not to use it, but it's good to know how it works hehe, out of curiosity, why do you call these little bugs "cheese"?

Edited by davoker
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davoker said:

Omg, now I understand why in 3 or 4 occasions I could cast 2 invocations of that type in a row, I thought "I did something that allowed me to use it 2 times, I don't know what it is but it was good for me" 😆

Well, we'll see how it goes without those few points of deviation, as a preference I prefer not to use it, but it's good to know how it works hehe, out of curiosity, why do you call these little bugs "cheese"?

I can only guess, I didn't invent the term. 😄

It's mostly used when you trick the game, either by abusing bad AI or bug exploits or in multiplayer games just by repeating the same broken strat over and over with the hope people don't find counterplay.

Since people very often also like to say "stinky cheese" I would think thats where the term comes from, you keep repeating smth broken and "old/stinky" but theres nothing the game can do to counter it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Video game companies turn many of their games into real "gruyere cheese", because of the holes they leave, I mean 🤣

4 hours ago, Raven Darkholme said:

...

Do you have a complete gameplay of your video with your character "I like cheese"? I like to watch gameplays, to see how people play, you also learn 😁 Every time I see the video of MaxQ with cipher, naked :aiee: against the alpine dragon... you have to see it to believe it, personally I find it a feat 😮

Edited by davoker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, davoker said:

Video game companies turn many of their games into real "gruyere cheese", because of the holes they leave, I mean 🤣

Do you have a complete gameplay of your video with your character "I like cheese"? I like to watch gameplays, to see how people play, you also learn 😁 Every time I see the video of MaxQ with cipher, naked :aiee: against the alpine dragon... you have to see it to believe it, personally I find it a feat 😮

I only recorded full gameplay for Act 1, because the views steadily declined, after that I only recorded boss fights and the harder bounties.

This should take you to the first video in the playlist:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...