Steam Deck

Keyrock

10 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Never seen or heard of this game before - each battle ends with them seemingly not finishing off their opponent, right up until the one dude straight up decapitates his opponent. That was brutal.

I've not played it, but I have seen plenty of videos about it. It's a physics-based dueling game with quite a lot of dismemberment.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Totally not Gorgon said:

The deck might compare poorly to a bottom dollar laptop with a controller inside of a year.

By that same logic said bottom dollar laptop might compare poorly to another bottom dollar laptop released a year or two later.

Maybe it's best to just forget about the performance rat race altogether.

I had that same epiphany roughly half a year ago. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone get one yet? I pre-ordered the 512GB version the day they let ut pre-order, but it still says Q2 for me.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

GabeN talked about there bring more interest than anticipated in the most expensive model and Valve potentially making a higher-end model in the future. Assuming Steam Deck takes off, I'd be all over an 8 core Zen4 with 12 RDNA3 CUs model in the future.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

14 hours ago, Totally not Gorgon said:

I'm jumping in at steam deck 2

I'm waiting for steam deck 3.11 myself

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

33 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'm waiting for steam deck 3.11 myself

It's well known that Valve can't count to 3. :shifty:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, I forgot to write that I got my Steam Deck early April and have been trying it out since then.

Battery time is as expected (not great) and the screen is only average (my phone looks sooo much better with its OLED colours and refresh rate) but other than that it's an awesome little machine.

I have 557 games on my Steam account, 78 of which are "GREAT ON DECK" as they're called. 78. Out of 557. Yeah, they have some work to do, for sure. But the ones that work great really do work great! I've installed Grim Dawn, Dysmantle and Fez so far and they all run flawlessly at 60 fps. I know they're not the most demanding of games, but it's still a handheld and these are PC games after all. Very impressed with the performance.

sLlWBxJ.jpg

It came in this plastic packaging.

D8r8eQ9.jpg

Also this case which is pretty sweet.

lTkNitB.jpg

And this is the Deck itself! Ignore my pale, Swedish legs. I was working from home that day..

• Like 4

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got my deck last week and put on all the heavy hitters like Elden Ring and Cyberpunk, and older games like F.E.A.R and Oblivion. Even put in a 1tb Sandisk Extreme SD to expand the storage to 1.5tb. The speed on the SD is pretty much the same as the nvme, and I'm baffled at that. Aside from some glitches here and there, I think Steam OS wins as a gaming platform due to its efficiency in handling big titles in a low power form factor, its really well optimized.

7958-B67-A-6-EF8-47-B3-8266-665-DD66-C72

D69-C9-EB7-7125-401-A-8-AC1-F069556-FCCD

Being able to play games fully maxed out and modded compared to low vanilla settings on the Switch counterparts is a big plus as well. Now all it needs is an oled screen like the Switch has...

4-C12-C73-B-BA74-46-B0-826-D-B6-DD8-B1-F

85-C553-A3-603-A-4-C94-8970-37-A5-CA047-

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...