Steam Deck

Keyrock

I've been playing with a controller using remappers a lot during the past year (DS4) and the touch-sensitive thumb sticks are such a great idea; I'm used to not having latency when stopping and moving, and with a stick that is unavoidable because it has to travel back to the deadzone when you let go, and that takes time. With capacitive thumbsticks though they can read when you let go of the stick and instantly stop input from the stick. Good for mitigating stick drift too, if you can't stand increasing the deadzone area. Other potential areas are for chording e.g. thumb on the right stick causes RT to shoot, when thumb is off it makes RT reload instead. Or gyro aiming turns off when the thumb is on the stick, turns gyro on when off the stick. I wish every controller could do that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every time I see the words Steam Deck I think this guy named it:

0zSoOxd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Months later I find myself slightly ... and I do mean slightly ... more interested in trying this thing. Because more and more I'm less interested in desk-chair sitting.  It'd be easier to use one of these while sitting on a porch.  Then there's wondering how much Valve will actually continue to develop it - eg, a 9"/1080p/OLED version someday. vs buying the first version.  Depends how successful they deem it I suppose.

Although I have to wonder if using one of these for any extended duration/periods would just give me a neck crick.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Then there's wondering how much Valve will actually continue to develop it - eg, a 9"/1080p/OLED version someday. vs buying the first version.  Depends how successful they deem it I suppose.

I'm in the same boat where I'll be interested in Switch Deck 2: Electric Boogaloo with a custom Zen 5/RDNA 4 APU in 5 years, assuming the OG Steam Deck is successful enough for Valve to make another one.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1. What was the awful bit of dialogue and animation at the end? ...That doesn't really matter, but boy was that a terrible way to end the video.
2. Does anyone know any information about whether the controller part of the Steam Deck is easily repairable/replaceable? I have no faith in controllers anymore, all of them break so quickly, so it would seem folly to invest in a device where the controller is literally directly married to it. ESPECIALLY given that it's Valve, who abandons much of their hardware anyways.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:24 AM, Bartimaeus said:

1. What was the awful bit of dialogue and animation at the end? ...That doesn't really matter, but boy was that a terrible way to end the video.

Its a bit from Devil May Cry 5, the game being played.  That character is Nico, the weaponsmith.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, Amentep said:

Its a bit from Devil May Cry 5, the game being played.  That character is Nico, the weaponsmith.

Holy crap, just about everything about that is gosh-awful. Don't know who can sit through such a travesty of uncanny valley, phony/unnatural, and just plain old obnoxious. I know this is a lousy anime game so all that is unfortunately simply a staple of the style, but it always blows my mind that this is what they're deliberately going for whenever I'm subjected to it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The mechanic was a little weird, especially in mouth-animation, but I kinda liked her in-game. Her role really wasn't that large and she wasn't a playable chr. The Adam Driver-ish lookin' dude with the panther was the best thing about DMC5.  And PhotoMode. I guess that one guy's hoverboard like skill was ok. The gameplay itself was a pretty boring combat-fest overall, I never finished it.  Edit: I'm not sure it's a game I'd want on some tiny screen, either. Altho for me that would be true of any visual-flashy game. It's like watching LotR on a 6" screen. What's the point. 😜

DMC5-00016.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 3:14 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Holy crap, just about everything about that is gosh-awful.

I really liked how DMC5 looked - it’s a nice mix of “realism” and over the top absurd. I remember having doubts about this character from trailers, but honestly, it works in context. 

DMC5, just like Bayonetta - you play it for gameplay. Everything else is absurd, loud, and occasionally entertaining in its own right. Best actions games out there, though. 

EDIT. SD looks very good. Being able to swap out the sticks is a great info - that’s a main thing I would worry about In handheld like that. More consoles and peripherals should allow swapping of components like that. 

It might be a bit too price for me to ever get one, though. I don’t travel that much nor feel a need to have a gaming device while on the go these days. 

Edited by Wormerine

• 4 weeks later...

Never seen or heard of this game before - each battle ends with them seemingly not finishing off their opponent, right up until the one dude straight up decapitates his opponent. That was brutal.