The all things Political Topic - When the sun Rises, the shadows must retreat Fleeing in fear from the Fires of dawn

Gorth

14 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

She's not wrong. Niqab/ burka is cultural, not religious, and you're only 'meant' to cover the hair (indeed the specific Koranic guidance is that you're not allowed to cover the face during the Hajj, so niqab/ burka are banned there).

Most of muslims follow ideology that person themself doesn't interpret what Koran say but that is left to religious scholars, bit similar to old school Catholicism, which though people themselves interpreting bible was heresy. 

Mainly in my understanding Niqab/ burka use is based on texts of two muslim scholars Ahmad ibn an-Naqib al-Misrin (he says in his text that most muslim scholars, except some that belong in Hanafi school agree that women should hide their faces when in public) and Muhammad al-Ghazali said in his text that God/Allah set 18 punishments for all women because Eve ate forbidden apple, one of those punishments was that women need to use headscarf.

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

You right, its a pity we dont have more global responsibility to deal with this type of extremism  :shrugz:

You've played too much C&C, don't think there'll ever be a GDI. 😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 minutes ago, Malcador said:

You've played too much C&C, don't think there'll ever be a GDI. 😛

Too bad, then I'd be able to join the Brotherhood :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just a thought experiment on my part, but maybe the US, the UK, West Germany and other countries did their job a bit too well when supporting the Mujahedin financially, materially and politically in their fight against the Soviet Union. Lots of those old fighters (who later moved on to lead AQ and other groups) learnt that major, foreign powers can be defeated and driven off if you try hard enough, no matter how big they are. Not that the Soviet Union didn't screw up badly too, suddenly getting mixed up in an Afghan civil war between two factions.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

She's not wrong. Niqab/ burka is cultural, not religious, and you're only 'meant' to cover the hair (indeed the specific Koranic guidance is that you're not allowed to cover the face during the Hajj, so niqab/ burka are banned there).

Yes, that is what I was saying. Her response was perfect to his clumsy statement.

On the state of the Afghanistan army and the U.S. trying to build them up: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/68d75dfkdampyr0/interesting_insight_into_the_abysmal_state_of_the-zy22bendf0i71.mp4

Thought this was a comedy skit at first, but no... Personally, I'm very happy we're finally getting out: sunk costs should not dictate future costs. Sucks for everyone involved (that we wasted so many lives and so much money and time and effort, for those of them that wanted and depended on us being there, and so on), it really does, but that's life - the best time to have gotten out was right away, the second best is right now. Let's not try to do any more nation-building for a long time, thank you very much - we don't exactly have a good track record of it anyways.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Just a thought experiment on my part, but maybe the US, the UK, West Germany and other countries did their job a bit too well when supporting the Mujahedin financially, materially and politically in their fight against the Soviet Union. Lots of those old fighters (who later moved on to lead AQ and other groups) learnt that major, foreign powers can be defeated and driven off if you try hard enough, no matter how big they are. Not that the Soviet Union didn't screw up badly too, suddenly getting mixed up in an Afghan civil war between two factions.

Your post is not a thought experiment but is the historical truth around the sequence of events that led to the  creation of AQ and the Afghan War heavily influenced the strategy of the Taliban

After USSR left Afghanistan Bin Laden created  AQ because he believed that the best way to deal with any attempt to undermine or conquer  Sunni countries was to use a Sunni army and not rely on foreign countries for defense

He wanted Saudi Arabia to not bring the likes of the USA into ME conflicts and blamed the US for  the fact Saudi Arabia and most of the ME countries wanted Western countries to help in the Second Gulf  War... hence the US became the " great evil " and was targeted by AQ which lead to 9/11

But yes Bin Laden and the Taliban views were shaped by the events and success of Soviet Afghan War

But one point I disagree with, the USSR was directly responsible for the Soviet Afghan War. They invaded Afghanistan to support the  puppet Communist government  in 1979 so I am not sure why you would think they are not ultimately responsible for the creation of AQ as you follow the sequence of historical events because if the Soviets hadnt invaded Afghanistan  you would not  have had Bin Laden and other foreign fighters flocking to Afghanistan to support the mujahideen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet–Afghan_War

https://www.history.com/topics/21st-century/al-qaeda

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela