The all things Political Topic - When the sun Rises, the shadows must retreat Fleeing in fear from the Fires of dawn

Gorth

1 hour ago, ComradeYellow said:

G.O.P. Blocks Infrastructure Debate in Senate, Raising Doubts About a Deal - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

^Why China will win.

This has nothing to do with "Freedom vs. unFreedom" or "Democracies vs. Dictatorships", this is all about results and development.  China has an extremely robust and flexible economy at this point and the central government can literally allocate resources on the fly to strategic sectors that can promote modern industrial development, with minimal effort, promoting rapid progress.

The U.S. government can't even get basic 20 years behind the times projects initiated because the opposition will just block it.

You can grab a harmonica and sit out on your porch at sunset and play Stevie Wonder songs all you like, the U.S. will fall behind if it doesn't get its act together.  Raw corporate innovation and consumption isn't enough to stay ahead of the game.

No it has everything to do with freedom vs unfreedom and Democracies vs Dictatorships, everything 

Lets be honest, how  can a country like China ever become a true world leader when it doesn't  even know how to  unequivocally admit and acknowledge " yes, the virus came from us and we take responsibility" 

China reminds of  me a child who  tries to deny eating the chocolate cake and their is chocolate all over its face :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/22/politics/mississippi-roe-v-wade-abortion/index.html

Mississippi asks the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade

On a second thing, I was engaged in conversation on work benefits with someone, and as occasionally happens when people on this side of the Atlantic discuss things, you got a  few horrified "how do the American's accept what they do with work?".  A point was made that for all the "Land of the Free" attitude, and general bellicose nature a large number of Americans seem to have against the Federal government... There's a very feudal attitude between Employer and Employee.  The casual acceptance of "fire at will", the lack of vacation time, the way pregnancy leave is so short (and quite often unpaid) across huge swathes of the workplace, the nature of health insurance and such like.

There was a half-joking comment that historically, medieval peasants in Europe got more time off work each year than current day Americans due to the various feast and saints days...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Thats clever and funny :lol:

But shouldnt it be in the Jokes section ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Someone had a very interesting HOI4 save.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

NYTimes - Details on FBI Inquiry into Kavanaugh

In a new letter sent to the Senate, the FBI admits it never meaningfully investigated the claims against Brett Kavanaugh because it was only empowered to talk to people that were approved by the Trump White House.
A group of Democratic senators is pressing the F.B.I. for more information about how it worked with the Trump White House on the background investigations into Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

In an interview, Mr. Whitehouse said the F.B.I.’s response showed that the F.B.I.’s handling of the accusations into misconduct by Mr. Kavanaugh was a sham. Ms. Tyson’s letter, Mr. Whitehouse said, suggested that the F.B.I. ran a “fake tip line that never got properly reviewed, that was presumably not even conducted in good faith.”
Mr. Whitehouse and six of his Democratic colleagues on the Senate Judiciary Committee replied to the F.B.I.’s letter on Wednesday with demands for additional details on the agreement with the White House that governed the inquiry. They also pressed for more information on how incoming tips were handled.
“Your letter confirms that the F.B.I.’s tip line was a departure from past practice and that the F.B.I. was politically constrained by the Trump White House,” the senators wrote. Among those signing the letter were Senator **** Durbin of Illinois, the committee’s chairman, Mr. Coons and Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey.

• Hmmm 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Relevant

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I like how Wales and Scotland would just join them. 😄

It'd probably be half and half whether to aid or attack, but yeah it's funny.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

36 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I like how Wales and Scotland would just join them. 😄

I guess the Cornish are considered too assimilated to assist and thus get attacked - or does Ireland have some sort of historic grudge with them?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Cornish are basically the same as the Welsh, who are basically the same as Bretons. The Cornish used to have their own Breton/ Welsh type language but IIRC it died out ~150 years ago (or 1777, according to wikipedia).

Of course genetically there's very little difference between ethnic english/ welsh/ cornish and there isn't even that much variation with ethnic irish- the Cornish Identity (such as it is) comes from never being properly conquered by the germanic/ scandic invasions of the dark ages, much like the Welsh are just Britons who held out until Tall Ted, while those anglo losers are only anglos because they're losers.

Probably the 'funniest' example of dumb ethnosuperiority are Turkish Turks though. I'm a bit surprised they haven't banned ancestry dna type tests there because there are a fair few suicides- literally- due to people finding out that their supposed descent from the stupendously manly killing machine steppe nomads is actually a lie and they're genetically kurdish/ greek/ armenian themselves; so they're descended from the conquered losers, not the conquerors as they were told.

8 hours ago, Raithe said:

That “obviously” was sarcasm, right???

edit: those who are not Trump cultists aren’t surprised and his cultists don’t care either way

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Trump insert himself into the Cleveland Indian‘s name change.

please, make it stop. Most ex-president go into a quiet and dignified post presidential career. That was a little too much to hope for from him. I wonder if he is even aware all of the baseball teams that have changed their names over the years.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Trump insert himself into the Cleveland Indian‘s name change.

please, make it stop. Most ex-president go into a quiet and dignified post presidential career. That was a little too much to hope for from him. I wonder if he is even aware all of the baseball teams that have changed their names over the years.

I worked with a couple of New Yorkers who basically said that Trump is always saying stupid things, and everybody there just ignored him. Now the country just needs to learn the same lesson.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Most ex-president go into a quiet and dignified post presidential career.

Yeah until they try to rehabilitate them a few terms later ala GWBush.  I guess people have the attention span of a half stunned gnat if it takes a du jour villain to make them forget about the atrocities committed.  Obama as well, I can almost imagine Fox News trying to rehabilitate him if a true and proper progressive champion wins the presidency xD.

59 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Yeah until they try to rehabilitate them a few terms later ala GWBush.  I guess people have the attention span of a half stunned gnat if it takes a du jour villain to make them forget about the atrocities committed.  Obama as well, I can almost imagine Fox News trying to rehabilitate him if a true and proper progressive champion wins the presidency xD.

May God protect us from ever having one of those.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Introducing the “love America” act

So the idea is to counter propagandist indoctrination with propagandist indoctrination? Let me know how that works out. 

Thomas Sowell