Can I Start Backing?

Rains2

I as well as millions of other would like to know the simple yet fair question of when and how we can start backing not only for Avowed but also Pillars of Eternity 3 because I know that the sales may have killed it for you guys the backers were more than the first going from 3 mill for POE1 to 4 mill for POE2 so just because sales were not forthcoming does not mean that the money will not be there I being a backer myself will spend more money for a game I think may have dev potential than I will a finish product that I have no say in and is already set in stone.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:54 PM, Theonlygarby said:

I'm pretty sure Microsoft has it covered

This. There is no Kickstarter for Avowed, as they are now owned by Microsoft.  Also, Pillars 3 is not a confirmed title, as Pillars 2 did poorly.

Turns out, the worlds 2nd largest corporation is a more reliable investment than a few hundred thousand middle class Europeans.

At the end of the day Obsidian is an American studio so it's only natural for them to gravitate towards U.S. economic methods.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Also, Pillars 3 is not a confirmed title, as Pillars 2 did poorly.

First part is true.

Second part was indeed a problem at release and during the first year after release.

But: Deadfire broke even during the second year after its release and since then has continued to make profit. It's just a trickle now I guess - but nevertheless: it's profit.
So, while it's still not a big financial success - and more importantly an unexpected disappointment for the once enthusiastic PoE/Deadfire devs - I think we can't say that it did poorly anymore.

But of course the whole story still might not be a huge motivation to tackle a third installment of PoE. If Obsidian/MS does this it's mostly for the fans of the Pillars series, not for shareholders. ;)

On the other hand... knowing Microsoft's wish to be able to offer a broad portfolio of (non-AAA-) games for Gamepass... who knows? I haven't lost hope. :)    

But of course there will be no crowdfunding. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

21 hours ago, Boeroer said:

But: Deadfire broke even during the second year after its release and since then has continued to make profit. It's just a trickle now I guess - but nevertheless: it's profit.
So, while it's still not a big financial success - and more importantly an unexpected disappointment for the once enthusiastic PoE/Deadfire devs - I think we can't say that it did poorly anymore.

It's still below expectations and not what higher-ups in Obsidian hoped for. It failed to reach expectations set up by interest in PoE1, and outside not being commercial smash hit, it is also worth to remember that it wasn't received nearly as well, for whatever reason. It's subjective experience, of course, but all reviewers/influencers that I follow that praised PoE1 to high heaven, were lukewarm when it comes to PoE2. Even if Obsidian were thinking about PoE3 there is no clear way on how to move forward. 

21 hours ago, Boeroer said:

On the other hand... knowing Microsoft's wish to be able to offer a broad portfolio of (non-AAA-) games for Gamepass... who knows? I haven't lost hope. :)    

That's what I hope for. Gamepass allows Microsoft to invest into those titles that might generate interest but not necessarily a whole lot of pre-orders and sales. From Josh's comments it seems the most crucial bit is folks at Obsidian wanting to make PoE3. Hopefully, they will get there after spending some time on other projects.

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

That's what I hope for. Gamepass allows Microsoft to invest into those titles that might generate interest but not necessarily a whole lot of pre-orders and sales. From Josh's comments it seems the most crucial bit is folks at Obsidian wanting to make PoE3. Hopefully, they will get there after spending some time on other projects.

I really think that, even if we get a third POE, it will not be published before at least 3 years. Obsidian are on four projects, 2 AAA and 2 smaller.
Furthermore, for me it will really depends on the success of Avowed, i think it will determine the longevity of the universe of Eora. Obsidian seems to be pretty inclined (and competent) for the creation of new universes.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wormerine said:

It's still below expectations and not what higher-ups in Obsidian hoped for.

Yes, I basically said that. They expected D:OS2 levels of sales and were pretty devastated by the poor initial sales numbers.
I just wanted to inform that "performed poorly" might not be accurate anymore ("poor" seems to indicate that it was financial loss - but maybe that's just my impression). 

it is also worth to remember that it wasn't received nearly as well

Metacritic scores:
PoE: 89 critics, 8.3 user
Deadfire: 88 critics, 7.8 user

I'd say it was received nearly as well.

From Josh's comments it seems the most crucial bit is folks at Obsidian wanting to make PoE3.

Right - but after saying so on Twitter some PoE/Deadfire devs jumped in an said they would be ready for PoE3 (e.g. Ob's Art Director Matt Hansen and Producion Director Alec Frey). So there's still hope. :) 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ordo! said:

Furthermore, for me it will really depends on the success of Avowed, i think it will determine the longevity of the universe of Eora. Obsidian seems to be pretty inclined (and competent) for the creation of new universes.

Yes, I find the world of Eora pretty interesting. Could have done without elves and dwarfs - but even those have interesting historical/cultural backgrounds. Like the Aedyran Sceltrfolc or the Pargrunen.

Edited by Boeroer

11 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Yes, I find the world of Eora pretty interesting. Could have done without elves and dwarfs - but even those have interesting historical/cultural backgrounds. Like the Aedyran Sceltrfolc or the Pargrunen.

I agree with that, for me there are three things that distinguish Eora from other fantasy universes.

- The original inspirations for the cultures and the will to create a culture in depth and not just superficial, not just a flavor.

- The cultural and historical approaches of civilizations.

- The Renaissance period and especially the idea of a progression of cultures, of an evolution. Civilizations and the world are not frozen in time, it is not a sort of eternal High Middle Ages.