What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

9 hours ago, Amentep said:

I have a 32 year old suit I bought, but even if I lost the weight to fit into it from the waistline size, it still wouldn't fit, thanks to a last minute growth spurt in my 20s changing my proportions (pants leg too high, sleeve too high and shoulders slightly larger the suit jacket).  I'm not actually sure why I still keep it.  Also, I need to get me a new suit jacket...

I wish I'd had a last minute growth spurt - even just a few more inches would've been nice, so I could be a little over five feet at least.  :lol:  I think I basically stopped growing when I was 11-12. Ok ok, maybe there was a 1/4 of an inch, no clue, but clothes-wise, nada. Well, maybe hips/bust and shoulders grew a bit after puberty but that's the wrong direction. :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was just under my dad's height and then suddenly I was the exact height as my dad.  

I had two aunts under 5 feet tall, one on each side of the family (and in a total coincidence, they had the same first name).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In the past two months, I've spent a lot of hours coming up with a concept and variations of it for a project at work. Countless meetings and time spent writing documentation, messaging back and forth with the entire team. Hours upon hours of work.

Yesterday we presented the options and costs to the management. For a while it was really touch and go, and then... we went all out, argued with all we had and then... management cancelled it.

Spoiler

Had to turn off the camera for a bit so they wouldn't see my victory dance. ^o/ o// \\o \o/ \o^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Reminds me I haven't turned my camera on on calls ever. So my coworkers haven't seen me in 18 months :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I guess HBO no longer will go through Amazon Prime.  Meaning I'd have to sign up with HBO-Max directly, giving them my info/CC etc. Yet another thing to keep track of. They're all going to go like this, right? Amazon Prime will soon be all Prime originals.

And no, I'm not concerned about my viewing habit privacy re: media. I just like my CC/billing to be one thing as much as possible vs. spread out/given to 101 places (that I have to keep track of to boot, ofc). It's the same reason I still don't like using anything but Steam and GoG even as years/times change. Sigh.  *grump*

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

And no, I'm not concerned about my viewing habit privacy re: media. I just like my CC/billing to be one thing as much as possible vs. spread out/given to 101 places (that I have to keep track of to boot, ofc). It's the same reason I still don't like using anything but Steam and GoG even as years/times change. Sigh.  *grump*

It's not a solution per se, more like a patch, but I dropped using credit card years ago. Debit card only, and an account with no more funds than I know I need for my next few online payments. If the proverbial **** hits the fan, I'll likely be a few hundred dollars out max.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Here in europe debit card is pretty much default (and we still call it credit cards for some reason :) ) I would never want to have card which goes into negative without me even noticing :) 

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Debit cards are pretty popular up here, although a bit dangerous as the default tap amount per day is ~500 so if you lose your card you can lose that amount and the bank is no help.  Credit has overtaken it over the years, at least what I see, due to apps and devices.   Oh and that sweet 1% cashback.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, I know, there are "solutions" and workarounds for such that people use. I don't think/find any of them easier on me, personally. Like I don't want to open a 2nd account, have a 2nd card, and maybe pay fees for not having a huge amount in that account all the time, or remember to transfer/set up auto-transfer of funds to it all the time, that might change as what I sub to goes up or down etc.

Fraudulent CC use not being liable (by me) is one reason to use them online. Cashback is ok too, if you use it a lot. Occasionally I just put those "points" as a payment back into it.

I use debit/ATM card to pay for day to day things in person like groceries or at Home Depot (vs. writing paper checks constantly like I used to) but don't use/have never used the "as a VISA/CC" option of ATM cards, since if I want to use a CC, I just pull out ... my CC.  Hubby hasn't either. He's still a cash person most of the time, when possible, actually.

Edited by LadyCrimson

One of the advantages of moving to Cpt, because it hasnt been financial,  is easy access to walks and nature reserves within 20 minutes of where I live. These nature reserves are ubiquitous and all around the base of  Table Mountain

Today we went to a walk in Constantia reserve, some pictures below. This include a house owned by some fortunate person who lives on the border of the reserve and a photo of the sea from a viewpoint 

20210918_115344.jpg

20210918_115444.jpg

20210918_120226.jpg

20210918_122700.jpg

20210918_122948.jpg

IMG-20210918-WA0005.jpg

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 4

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

l love it when its bad weather on the weekends because I can stay inside and game all  day with no guilt that I should be doing something outside :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hey guys. I got home last night. It’s been a very interesting two weeks or so let me tell you. I started driving north with no particular destination in mind. I followed I-55 north as far as Bloomington IN. I didn’t feel like dealing with Chicago so followed I-39 until Wausau. Then kept going until I ended in up in a little town called Bayfield WI. I got a room in a crappy motel that cost way more than it should have and spent two days there doing nothing. And I do mean NOTHING. I spent the better part of two days sitting on the pier and looking at the lake. I’d never seen Lake Superior before so I can cross that one off my list.

After the second day I decided to go home. I turned on my phone and texted my cousin and her husband and told them I was in WI and offered to take them out to dinner. I had not seen either of them in 10 years or more. They live in a little town in the western part of the state. Totally out of the way but what the hell.

The next night I met them for dinner and had a great time catching up. They offered to let me stay in their guest house for a few days if I wanted so I accepted. I forgot how much fun they are. Anyway, he is a retired Minnesota state trooper, she is a retired teacher, and they have a business boarding and training horses. Plus a few of their own. Helping them take care of their horses and boarders was thoroughly enjoyable. This led to the best part of the trip… I met someone.

They have an equine vet that visits and I got to talking to her and we just clicked. Her name is Gail. She’s a year older than me, divorced with an adult daughter. I asked her out. It went really well. I asked her out again for two days later. That one went well too. Her biggest interests are animals, books, and simplicity in life. That is definitely me.

My cousin is all excited about this. She put her “match maker” hat on and you can guess what was doing there. I ended up spending a week with them and had three dates with Gail. It was great. Finally, the time came to go home. Gail and I decided to keep in touch and just see where things go. I live 10 hours and three states away and that won’t change in the near future.

Anyway, when I turned my phone back on in Bayfield I got a VM from Stephanie. She finally saw my e-mail I guess. She asked me to please call her. Since I started the exchange I felt obligated and did so while driving to Sparta. We spoke for about 15 minutes and it was awkward but friendly. She asked if we could speak face to face because there was so much she wanted to talk to me about. I agreed and told her I’d meet her for coffee when I got back. I met her this morning.

She is working as a supervising RN on the 3rd shift at a big hospital in Memphis. A very nice plum for her. I met her for coffee after work. It’s the first time I’ve seen her or spoken to her since mediation. It was… awkward. She started off right away wanting to apologize again for how things ended. I stopped her and told her it was all in the past. I had forgiven her and she should forgive herself. The remarkable thing is I had. Just then when I saw her I received whatever closure I needed I guess. We spoke for over an hour about Sunny, how we were doing, and happier times. I didn’t get the sense that she is interested in any kind of reconciliation. I tried to subtly imply that was not going to happen. She asked if we could keep in touch and just talk sometimes. I said I’d like that. Maybe some wounds can heal.

I put a lot of my stuff in storage before I left. I really had no idea where I was going or how long I’d be gone. Or even if I was coming back at all to be honest. So I’m spending the day putting my house back together. I’m in a much better place now than two weeks ago. It’s hard to believe Sunny’s passing triggered a full on mid-life crisis but I guess that is what it is. Probably not out of the woods but I do feel better. Gail asked me to send her pics of my house and I’m doing it now.  I printed and framed a picture of Sunny and put it on the wall next to pics of Bella, Tommy, & Desiree. It’s of her playing in the creek. A happy smile, a happy dog, and a happy memory. 

The world is going to keep turning… all we can do is go along for the ride.

This got really long and rambly again. Sorry about that.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I'm glad to hear things are going better GD. You didn't miss much around here. 😉

Well, my wife and I did complete an Ironman the previous weekend. But that's old news. :p 

I was just looking at those pics, that is extremely cool!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Hey guys. I got home last night. It’s been a very interesting two weeks or so let me tell you. I started driving north with no particular destination in mind. I followed I-55 north as far as Bloomington IN. I didn’t feel like dealing with Chicago so followed I-39 until Wausau. Then kept going until I ended in up in a little town called Bayfield WI. I got a room in a crappy motel that cost way more than it should have and spent two days there doing nothing. And I do mean NOTHING. I spent the better part of two days sitting on the pier and looking at the lake. I’d never seen Lake Superior before so I can cross that one off my list.

After the second day I decided to go home. I turned on my phone and texted my cousin and her husband and told them I was in WI and offered to take them out to dinner. I had not seen either of them in 10 years or more. They live in a little town in the western part of the state. Totally out of the way but what the hell.

The next night I met them for dinner and had a great time catching up. They offered to let me stay in their guest house for a few days if I wanted so I accepted. I forgot how much fun they are. Anyway, he is a retired Minnesota state trooper, she is a retired teacher, and they have a business boarding and training horses. Plus a few of their own. Helping them take care of their horses and boarders was thoroughly enjoyable. This led to the best part of the trip… I met someone.

They have an equine vet that visits and I got to talking to her and we just clicked. Her name is Gail. She’s a year older than me, divorced with an adult daughter. I asked her out. It went really well. I asked her out again for two days later. That one went well too. Her biggest interests are animals, books, and simplicity in life. That is definitely me.

My cousin is all excited about this. She put her “match maker” hat on and you can guess what was doing there. I ended up spending a week with them and had three dates with Gail. It was great. Finally, the time came to go home. Gail and I decided to keep in touch and just see where things go. I live 10 hours and three states away and that won’t change in the near future.

Anyway, when I turned my phone back on in Bayfield I got a VM from Stephanie. She finally saw my e-mail I guess. She asked me to please call her. Since I started the exchange I felt obligated and did so while driving to Sparta. We spoke for about 15 minutes and it was awkward but friendly. She asked if we could speak face to face because there was so much she wanted to talk to me about. I agreed and told her I’d meet her for coffee when I got back. I met her this morning.

She is working as a supervising RN on the 3rd shift at a big hospital in Memphis. A very nice plum for her. I met her for coffee after work. It’s the first time I’ve seen her or spoken to her since mediation. It was… awkward. She started off right away wanting to apologize again for how things ended. I stopped her and told her it was all in the past. I had forgiven her and she should forgive herself. The remarkable thing is I had. Just then when I saw her I received whatever closure I needed I guess. We spoke for over an hour about Sunny, how we were doing, and happier times. I didn’t get the sense that she is interested in any kind of reconciliation. I tried to subtly imply that was not going to happen. She asked if we could keep in touch and just talk sometimes. I said I’d like that. Maybe some wounds can heal.

I put a lot of my stuff in storage before I left. I really had no idea where I was going or how long I’d be gone. Or even if I was coming back at all to be honest. So I’m spending the day putting my house back together. I’m in a much better place now than two weeks ago. It’s hard to believe Sunny’s passing triggered a full on mid-life crisis but I guess that is what it is. Probably not out of the woods but I do feel better. Gail asked me to send her pics of my house and I’m doing it now.  I printed and framed a picture of Sunny and put it on the wall next to pics of Bella, Tommy, & Desiree. It’s of her playing in the creek. A happy smile, a happy dog, and a happy memory. 

The world is going to keep turning… all we can do is go along for the ride.

Good to hear from you again GD and Im glad you may have met someone, see how it goes and if it works out it works out. But its definitely worth seeing how it goes. You sound much better and thats also good news 

I remember in 1993 when I did my ill-conceived  military service a black soldier quoted something to me that Theodore  Roosevelt said  that I never knew  and  I have never forgotten (he was one of the few  people who became a friend to me during that time  which was ironic considering the decades of Apartheid )

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

:thumbsup:

John Milton 

I've been getting some mileage out of that combo vaccine I got some months back (whooping cough/tetanus/diphtheria), hanging out with my friends and their newborn daughter a few times now. They are quite adorable when not even two months old and of a happy disposition. Getting to cuddle a bit with "Uncle Gorth" and when it's time to leave, I can just hand her back to her parents with an "I'll be back and borrow her in a few weeks time again" 😂

I got the vaccine because newborns can't really be vaccinated against whooping cough and I sure as heck didn't want to drag something avoidable into their home.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

I've been getting some mileage out of that combo vaccine I got some months back (whooping cough/tetanus/diphtheria), hanging out with my friends and their newborn daughter a few times now. They are quite adorable when not even two months old and of a happy disposition. Getting to cuddle a bit with "Uncle Gorth" and when it's time to leave, I can just hand her back to her parents with an "I'll be back and borrow her in a few weeks time again" 😂

I got the vaccine because newborns can't really be vaccinated against whooping cough and I sure as heck didn't want to drag something avoidable into their home.

Its always nice when you dont have kids but you have family or friends with kids who cute, they like you and you like them

When I was in JHB I dated several single moms and I always enjoyed spending time with their kids\kid 

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

On 9/20/2021 at 6:29 PM, Hurlsnot said:

I'm glad to hear things are going better GD. You didn't miss much around here. 😉

Well, my wife and I did complete an Ironman the previous weekend. But that's old news. :p 

Exactly. Nothing much happened, although I believe there were a few days when I didn't "win" the leaderboard..

I'm plowing along on the job hunt side of things, my father's had his second dose of chemo and adjusting to all that, and I'm further distracting myself keeping on with the Sith Acolyte armour before London Comic-Con in October.

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 9/21/2021 at 3:13 AM, Guard Dog said:

I don't think I was the only one who enjoyed the read 😎

• Like 1

I called Gail last night. We spoke on the phone for three hours! Haven't done that in a hell of a long time. Conversation with her is effortless.  Just now she texted me good morning. I'd say those are pretty good signs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thomas Sowell

36 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I called Gail last night. We spoke on the phone for three hours! Haven't done that in a hell of a long time. Conversation with her is effortless.  Just now she texted me good morning. I'd say those are pretty good signs. 

Nice, when you planning on inviting her to come visit for a weekend? Im not suggesting you rush things but that will be a good way of seeing how compatible you are because spending time together  alone lets you really  get to know the person 

John Milton 

Repairs made, completely broken parts remade, a few alterations, and thus it called for a layout to check nothing had been forgotten and everything was there....

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/822525016633245776/890565154629095464/IMG_20210923_1247047.jpg

A few small touch-ups left to do, some spray it all with clear laquer as added protection, then I have to start figuring out how to strap it all to comfortably wear with the lessons of the previous attempt...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That is badass

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell