What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

11 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

You guys use wooden forks? And they only have two tines?

That's pretty standard on any sea-front / beach area doing fast food in the UK.   Chips (aka proper chips, not french fried chips), mussels, ****les, etc all tend to come with those wooden forks in that style.   Also, a lot of fish and chip joints provide them if you're just asking for a bag of chips.

Picture Perfect Food in Suffolk | Best of Suffolk

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

is worth noting that a fork, pretty much by definition, is two tines. fork in a road. military fork.  etc.  a trident has three tines. am not sure o' the etymology o' the word, but wouldn't be shocked if the pitchfork is where things all fell apart. 

even so, back in the day when we first saw those wooden euro fast-food forks, we thought they were something an unapologetic evil doctor might use in their practice. "stick out your tongue and say "ah.""

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

By this time tomorrow I'll be in Wisconsin. See you guys later!

• Like 9

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

I'd say say hi from us. But maybe you don't want to bring up your weird online support group 😄

Hey you guys are awesome! Everyone of you. I’d be proud to call any of you a friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

9 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Hey you guys are awesome! Everyone of you. I’d be proud to call any of you a friend.

say-hello-my-little-friend.gif

18 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

GD who do you like the most on this forum? Remember I always support you  on most things like gun control and I often " like "  most of your posts which reflects friendship? And unlike Gromnir I dont disagree with you on Constitutional issues and we both agree on property rights and how you dont  need to rely on the state to fund your lifestyle 

It must be me ...right :teehee:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

21 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Poor bastard

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Went to the dentist for routine cleaning and check-up (no cavities) then took my car in for service (no cavities there, either).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 hours ago, Amentep said:

Went to the dentist for routine cleaning and check-up (no cavities) then took my car in for service (no cavities there, either).

Lucky bastard, I have/had 4 cavities in my teeth when I went to check. Still have one temporary filling to fix.

My car's fine though!

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 9/26/2021 at 9:55 PM, Guard Dog said:

I forgot to add, you cannot leave Wisconsin without eating or buying locally produced Wisconsin cheese...dont forget, dont forget the cheese 🧀

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

You know what, Ive never eaten a cheese curd.

What !!! Neither have I but its more an American thing, I have seen them on the Food Channel when they focus on states like Wisconsin and they definitely something I would try

John Milton 

20 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I loves me some cheese, the sharper and "funkier" (blue/feta/goat) the better, so Id try curds too. Somehow someway Ive just never crossed paths with a plate of them. 

If you ever want advice on cheese let me know, I have dedicated the last 25 years of my life to the study of cheese and what cheese compliments what food and what is the best way to eat cheese without unintentionally neutralizing its taste with, for example a salty biscuit, certain accompaniments

I eat all cheeses with my overall favorite being 5 year + mature Cheddar  and Roquefort the classic French blue cheese but I do love all cheeses  in different ways. For example I use only Swiss\Austrian\French cheese in the cheese fondues I make 

But in the interests of veracity their is 1 cheese I probably wont eat, its colloquially called Maggot Cheese and is found in  Sicily....but most of us wouldnt eat cheese with live maggots in it even though its apparently delicious 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_martzu

John Milton 

Yeah, that one is prohibited by arms embargo (if not, it should be)

Best kind of cheese is deep fried Camembert with blueberry jam

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Yeah, that one is prohibited by arms embargo (if not, it should be)

Best kind of cheese is deep fried Camembert with blueberry jam

It is illegal in the EU nowadays but its still available on the Sicilian black market, the article I posted even specifically mentions this ...but Gorthfuscious since when do you and I  listen to the unreasonable laws of all these corrupt and Capitalist systems. You know they  just want to perpetuate inequality, us anarchists reject such laws because they represent nothing short of loss of true sovereignty, attempts to undermine culture, continued implementation of neo-colonialism  and the rights of individuals to live in free and fair societies. Maggot cheese forever !!!   

And your cheese love of deep fried Camembert ,and Brie is basically the same , is an example of how those cheeses when baked or deep fried become better and the taste more pronounced. Because normally strong jams like blueberry would negate the relatively mild taste of Camembert but  when you heat it or melt  it then those jams are the perfect accompaniment  🧀

Here is what the link says about the whole illegal nature of Maggot Cheese 

According to some food scientists, it is possible for the larvae to survive the stomach acid and remain in the intestine, leading to a condition called pseudomyiasis. There have been documented cases of pseudomyiasis with P. casei.[13][14]

Because of European Union food hygiene-health regulations, the cheese has been outlawed, and offenders face heavy fines.[12] However, some Sardinians organized themselves in order to make casu martzu available on the black market, where it may be sold for double the price of an ordinary block of pecorino cheese.[10][8] As of 2019, the illegal production of this cheese was estimated as 100 tonnes (98 long tons; 110 short tons) per year, worth 2-3 m€.[15]

Attempts have been made to circumvent the Italian and EU ban by having casu martzu declared a traditional food[8] (it has been made in the same manner for more than 25 years, and it is therefore exempt from ordinary food hygiene regulations). The traditional way of making the cheese is explained by an official paper of the Sardinian government.[16]

Casu martzu is among several cheeses that are not legal in the United States.[17]

• Like 1

John Milton 

I used to get weird looks from the boys at school for my lunch time reveal. They'd have their chunky 80's / 90's lunchboxes with sandwiches in clingfilm, piece of fruit and can of coke.

I'd pull out a slim tupperware box and peel the lid off to reveal selections of mini-cheeses, chicken panyang, onion bhaji, baby octopi in sunflower oil, or some mixture along those lines.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I used to get weird looks from the boys at school for my lunch time reveal. They'd have their chunky 80's / 90's lunchboxes with sandwiches in clingfilm, piece of fruit and can of coke.

I'd pull out a slim tupperware box and peel the lid off to reveal selections of mini-cheeses, chicken panyang, onion bhaji, baby octopi in sunflower oil, or some mixture along those lines.

That sounds amazing, you got great lunches

Do you remember what types of mini-cheeses you use to get and how come your folks were so generous with your school lunches, are they gastronomes? I mean who has baby octopi for school lunch ...I am very envious but to honest I didnt use to eat any food like that until I was 26-27 and I moved to JHB 

John Milton 

9 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

That sounds amazing, you got great lunches

Do you remember what types of mini-cheeses you use to get and how come your folks were so generous with your school lunches, are they gastronomes? I mean who has baby octopi for school lunch ...I am very envious but to honest I didnt use to eat any food like that until I was 26-27 and I moved to JHB 

Nothing too amazing. Austrian smoked, various cheddars, brie, old amsterdam, manchego, yorkshire blue, lancashire cheeses, etc. It was a varied assortment over time.

Not necessarily gastronomes, but we'd done a fair bit of traveling and been exposing to a wide variety of food types, and the local supermarket had a really good deli selection. Actually I think getting those pieces was about the same cost as getting all the components for "normal" sandwiches and assorted stuff.

Combine that with parents who were very open to those different food types and didn't always have time or energy to make sandwiches, made it simpler for mom to pick that sort of thing up and just divide it up and pack it in a lunchbox since it didn't actually need any preparation.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But in the interests of veracity their is 1 cheese I probably wont eat, its colloquially called Maggot Cheese and is found in  Sicily....but most of us wouldnt eat cheese with live maggots in it even though its apparently delicious 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_martzu

Some Eurojank RPG should implement this as a food source that gives various character enhancements/detractors.

• Haha 1