What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

Repairs made, completely broken parts remade, a few alterations, and thus it called for a layout to check nothing had been forgotten and everything was there....

A few small touch-ups left to do, some spray it all with clear laquer as added protection, then I have to start figuring out how to strap it all to comfortably wear with the lessons of the previous attempt...

what works most for us is the décor. got an opportunity. don the armour and then get a picture o' self knitting mittens or a tea cozy while seated in one o' those chairs. cats would help. multiple cats. just an ordinary english dark lord enjoying the weekend. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just now, Gromnir said:

what works most for us is the décor. got an opportunity. don the armour and then get a picture o' self knitting mittens or a tea cozy while seated in one o' those chairs. cats would help. multiple cats. just an ordinary english dark lord enjoying the weekend. 

HA! Good Fun!

With high tea, scones and jam...

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Repairs made, completely broken parts remade, a few alterations, and thus it called for a layout to check nothing had been forgotten and everything was there....

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/822525016633245776/890565154629095464/IMG_20210923_1247047.jpg

A few small touch-ups left to do, some spray it all with clear laquer as added protection, then I have to start figuring out how to strap it all to comfortably wear with the lessons of the previous attempt...

Visiting Glasgow ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Nice, when you planning on inviting her to come visit for a weekend? Im not suggesting you rush things but that will be a good way of seeing how compatible you are because spending time together  alone lets you really  get to know the person 

We talked about getting together again last night. Maybe next week. Have to work out the details. I’m up for another car ride.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, Keto has helped with "brain fog" feelings but I still feel like my brain is not the same.

Basically almost falling into coma last year etc, I just feel slower, much more forgetful, unable to concentrate/stay on track, lose train of thoughts, sometimes even not making real sense while trying to converse, mental tasks that were easy take longer to focus/finish, blah blah. Those days right after getting out of hospital hubby said he was worried I wasn't going to recover in that sense at all, so it must've been pretty bad those first days home. I mean, on the surface I'd probably seem fine/normal "aging" to folks but y'know, spouses know you. Anyway ... I was never a genius, I'm far better than then, now, I don't think it's getting worse, and I'm not saying I'm at Joe Biden levels, but it's a little distressing to notice. (edit) Like when I'm simply paying bills online and I'm staring at the webpage for way too long with papers in hand without typing anything before I realize I'm still sitting there doing nothing, as if I don't recognize initial intention/what I'm doing).

That all said ... apparently the parts of the brain that allow one to obsess on simple tasks like ... a game you're enjoying ... seems fairly unimpeded (I just can't handle "mastering" combat anymore...) So I think I'll go do that some more.  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Sad 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Take care of yourself LC!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Moved a couple of posts here, as I might have been a bit too clever coming up with a name for the other, job related thread :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have been going through my finances with a fine tooth comb the last 24 hours. Trying to come to some decisions about what I want to do with the rest of my life. It's been seven months since I accepted a severance from my job. I'm too young to retire but have no interest in finding another "job". I have a few business I am a minority partner in and I have an income from leased properties but it is really just enough to keep them cash neutral until their value goes up. I was more considering a new business venture with one of my former partners. But how to raise the capital?  I own two empty lots inside the city limits of two nearby towns. I had been toying with the idea of borrowing against them to build houses on them and THEN selling them. I asked my lawyer if she could recommend a good realtor for the area. She sent me her ex-husband! I was joking with them that this was an inside job! Anyway the guy visited me today and advised against construction because the time would be 8+ months and interest rates MUST go up soon. That will cool off the market. So I decided to list them both with him. 

Then he dropped the bomb. He asked about selling my house. At first I laughed at the idea. I built this place! Well, the builder actually BUILT it but you know what I mean. The house is nothing special. Wood frame. Less than 1300 sq'. But I've made a LOT of upgrades inside and out. Propane generator, solar system. Two wells, one powered one manual. I've built a greenhouse, workshop, and smokehouse (mostly on my own). Perimeter and interior fencing. River access AND it shares a border with a state WMA. From the day I bought this place as empty woods until today I've put close to $400k into it. I own it outright and it's home in every sense of the word. But when he told me what it might be worth on the market today I was floored. 

So, now I find myself pondering what would have been unthinkable just a day ago. I'm really conflicted about this but leaning against it right now.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

19 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I have been going through my finances with a fine tooth comb the last 24 hours. Trying to come to some decisions about what I want to do with the rest of my life. It's been seven months since I accepted a severance from my job. I'm too young to retire but have no interest in finding another "job". I have a few business I am a minority partner in and I have an income from leased properties but it is really just enough to keep them cash neutral until their value goes up. I was more considering a new business venture with one of my former partners. But how to raise the capital?  I own two empty lots inside the city limits of two nearby towns. I had been toying with the idea of borrowing against them to build houses on them and THEN selling them. I asked my lawyer if she could recommend a good realtor for the area. She sent me her ex-husband! I was joking with them that this was an inside job! Anyway the guy visited me today and advised against construction because the time would be 8+ months and interest rates MUST go up soon. That will cool off the market. So I decided to list them both with him. 

Then he dropped the bomb. He asked about selling my house. At first I laughed at the idea. I built this place! Well, the builder actually BUILT it but you know what I mean. The house is nothing special. Wood frame. Less than 1300 sq'. But I've made a LOT of upgrades inside and out. Propane generator, solar system. Two wells, one powered one manual. I've built a greenhouse, workshop, and smokehouse (mostly on my own). Perimeter and interior fencing. River access AND it shares a border with a state WMA. From the day I bought this place as empty woods until today I've put close to $400k into it. I own it outright and it's home in every sense of the word. But when he told me what it might be worth on the market today I was floored. 

So, now I find myself pondering what would have been unthinkable just a day ago. I'm really conflicted about this but leaning against it right now.

Do you see yourself living anywhere else?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

30 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Probably WI. :p 

Not ruling it out but it’s way too early for that! But I’m definitely going back up next week. This time she asked me to stay with her. We’ve spoken almost every day!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 5

Thomas Sowell

41 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Do you see yourself living anywhere else?

Never considered it before to be honest. But I moved here from FL. So it’s been done before 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Never considered it before to be honest. But I moved here from FL. So it’s been done before 

Would you downgrade to a smaller house or buy something cheaper?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I have been going through my finances with a fine tooth comb the last 24 hours. Trying to come to some decisions about what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Not as any advice or such, but it reminded me of a conversation I was in some years back.  Some comments made by a few old couples I met on cruises my family went on as a child / teenager, so yes, this might be a couple of decades old now...  But I met about half a dozen 60+ couples who all referred to the fact that they found it less expensive to basically book cruises year around rather than deal with the costs associated with retirement homes, care homes, and supporting carers if you lived at home into your old age.

They'd quite often book back-to-back cruises on the same ship for a year, then spend a month in a hotel while the ship was doing annual refurbishment and then get back on the ship for a fresh year of world travel. They got better meals, better service, came to know the crew quite well, and didn't have to worry on half the things they would if they stayed with their families.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Not as any advice or such, but it reminded me of a conversation I was in some years back.  Some comments made by a few old couples I met on cruises my family went on as a child / teenager, so yes, this might be a couple of decades old now...  But I met about half a dozen 60+ couples who all referred to the fact that they found it less expensive to basically book cruises year around rather than deal with the costs associated with retirement homes, care homes, and supporting carers if you lived at home into your old age.

They'd quite often book back-to-back cruises on the same ship for a year, then spend a month in a hotel while the ship was doing annual refurbishment and then get back on the ship for a fresh year of world travel. They got better meals, better service, came to know the crew quite well, and didn't have to worry on half the things they would if they stayed with their families.

Now that is a life hack.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

Would you downgrade to a smaller house or buy something cheaper?

I don’t know. I’ve never really thought about it. When I bought this place I had this idea of a completely self-sufficient property. A home that could generate its own electricity, grow its own food, supply its own water. I sort of have that. Not 100% but pretty close. Well it was a lot of work though.

I can’t imagine I would ever want to live inside of a city limits again. Traffic, city ordinances, noise, meddlesome homeowners association‘s, crime, I never have to worry about any of that. It’s quiet here. Peaceful. My front porch faces east and my back porch faces west. I can sit and watch the sunrise in the morning and watch it set in the evening. There is no artificial light for miles and you’ve never seen more stars than I see here every night.  I hear coyotes down in Anderson Tully. Crows gather in squawk along the tree line following the creek. There is an owl that comes around and hangs out in the tree over the workshop. She seemed to be fascinated by whatever Sunny was doing when she used to patrol around the garden in the evening. 

Sunny and Tommy’s final resting places are here, down by the creek. I don’t know how I could ever walk away.

But if that guy was right and I got even close to what he said we could get I could retire right now. very conflicted 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Uh, Wisconsin is cold in the winter...

Just make sure you experience that before you uproot. :p

LOL just need someone to keep you warm!

Thomas Sowell

That is amazing! I have been to senior living condominiums in assisted-living places before and they are seriously depressing. This sounds like anything but.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL just need someone to keep you warm!

I think natural gas heating is cheaper.

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I don’t know. I’ve never really thought about it. When I bought this place I had this idea of a completely self-sufficient property. A home that could generate its own electricity, grow its own food, supply its own water. I sort of have that. Not 100% but pretty close. Well it was a lot of work though.

I can’t imagine I would ever want to live inside of a city limits again. Traffic, city ordinances, noise, meddlesome homeowners association‘s, crime, I never have to worry about any of that. It’s quiet here. Peaceful. My front porch faces east and my back porch faces west. I can sit and watch the sunrise in the morning and watch it set in the evening. There is no artificial light for miles and you’ve never seen more stars than I see here every night.  I hear coyotes down in Anderson Tully. Crows gather in squawk along the tree line following the creek. There is an owl that comes around and hangs out in the tree over the workshop. She seemed to be fascinated by whatever Sunny was doing when she used to patrol around the garden in the evening. 

Sunny and Tommy’s final resting places are here, down by the creek. I don’t know how I could ever walk away.

But if that guy was right and I got even close to what he said we could get I could retire right now. very conflicted 

Sounds like you have your dream home.

If you are really considering it though, my advice would be to start looking at places/houses and see what's out there and if there's anything that grabs you and would make sense financially. You're in no hurry.

• Like 1

I have been recycling wooden forks from fast food joints.

Turning them into cute cats.

Made four so far

lX981N4.jpg

And just finished framing one of them with a quick sketch of the Acropolis as a background.

JpbQiYo.jpg

Now I need to do a few more sketches for the others, then get started on the cats friends commissioned.

It is funny. All I wanted to do was not throw so much stuff away; feel less guilty about all the garbage. And now people are asking if I can paint cats for them as well.

A friend even asked if I am considering doing this for money...

• Like 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Some burger places have them for their fries, yeah.

Full disclosure, since I figured I'd need to eat way too many burgers to get more forks, I went to a store that sells the forks wholesale.

Now I have a thousand wooden forks...

I think it is part of an EU eco thing.

IKEA now does wooden spoons for deserts at their in-store restaurant.

McDonalds has paper drinking straws in their drinks.

Though the best was going to a restaurant in Germany a couple of years ago and getting thick pasta (bucatini or something like that I guess?) instead of straws.

• Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).