What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

^ 🤞

So my hummingbird feeder has an unintended byproduct, namely wasps. Turns out they go loco for the sugar water too. Normally Id be fine with this, live and let live, but it got to the point of them dominating the feeder and no hummingbirds coming. That and they were drinking a 2 cup reservoir in like 2 days (which blows my mind that they can drink so much)! I decided to leave it empty for a few days in the hopes they would "forget" about it, and just now I refilled it. If it turns into a wasp swarm again Ill probably just remove the liquid feeder and replace it with a normal seed type feeder. 

I read somewhere that wasps are repelled by citronella. Try rubbing some citronella oil on your feeder and see if that does any good.

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just got out of the vet with Sunny. Her liver numbers are off the charts again. Time to change up the medicine. Probably as a result of that she’s got a blood infection. Starting her on a strong antibiotic for that. Poor girl. No wonder she’s miserable. I hopefully will have her feeling better soon.

• Sad 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I read somewhere that wasps are repelled by citronella. Try rubbing some citronella oil on your feeder and see if that does any good.

I'm going to try this against the hornets that decided to build a nest in my roof. I'd prefer to spray some Citronella oil to burn coffee grounds.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

^ We have to knock down a few small new wasp nests from the house eaves every Spring.  They don't swarm here or anything but there are plenty around. They like to cut the grass.

Also...was trying to go through Steam filters/games etc. and I noticed this.
Skyrim-playtime.jpg

...to be fair, I play Offline so I probably had more like 10-15 hours played. Mostly tho ... jeez, has it been that long?  :lol:

...also, today I spent four hours adjusting Steam search term exclusions (I wish they allowed more than 10) and manually "ignored" about 400 games and finally most of the front page recommended listings are at least much closer to the genres/games that I might actually be interested in.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 8/31/2021 at 12:16 PM, Gfted1 said:

I decided to leave it empty for a few days in the hopes they would "forget" about it, and just now I refilled it. If it turns into a wasp swarm again Ill probably just remove the liquid feeder and replace it with a normal seed type feeder.

*narrator voice* But the wasps did not forget.

They came back in full force. Ive read a few tips (leave the feeder empty for a while, move it to a shady area, etc.) but I think Im just going to bin the hummingbird feeder and move to a seed feeder. Bummer. Hummingbirds are fun (to me) to watch. :( 

@LadyCrimson

Beware that if a game has one of your excluded tags up to the fifteenth highest tag, it will be excluded. Even though I hate all of the following genres*...

steam_I5CeRjMl6f.png

...I still rarely have cases of games that get excluded that really shouldn't be because one of these tags is like the 13th or 14th ranked tag for a game that has it has a very minor element. Up to the tenth top tag is probably what I personally would set the system to... I had other excluded tags originally that I thought were good choices for myself, but they ended up being so disruptive that I ended up removing them, and decided to just go with an approach of basic genre tags that I literally will not ever play.

*Well, besides maybe top-down shooter, but it's not a genre I particularly enjoy either and there are a billion top-down shooters that clog up Steam for no good reason, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

*narrator voice* But the wasps did not forget.

They came back in full force. Ive read a few tips (leave the feeder empty for a while, move it to a shady area, etc.) but I think Im just going to bin the hummingbird feeder and move to a seed feeder. Bummer. Hummingbirds are fun (to me) to watch. :( 

Get some poor minorities, that keeps WASPs away easy. 

But I did read that paper bags near the feeder will make them believe other wasps are there and stay away. 

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

20 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Took me a second to work that one out. :lol:

Do the paper bags represent other nests?

So the theory goes, of course just have to hope you don't have some exceptionally bold wasps. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Gorth  No, the MS sign-in hasn't always been there. I log in every single time, the white bar is very eye-catching and I only noticed it yesterday. Er...or maybe the day or two before....or last month.  Um...anyway, it was pretty recent/not always there. :shifty:

@Gfted1  You could try hanging a couple of these or similar wasp traps in the vicinity of the feeder.  Maybe they'd go for them instead. I tried one once. They actually work fairly well - at least, there were a lot of dead wasps in them later.

@Bartimaeus I have Racing, Fighting, and Massively Multiplayer on my exclusions, too.  :lol:  Most of the rest of mine are Turn Based variations + Platformer. Don't have Sports excluded tho, they rarely recommend those to me and I just ignore the few that pop up. I semi-rely on the fact they're like Amazon/Netflix and will use your Games Library and Watch list categories as references too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Funnily enough my mom let a wasp in, I just used the vacuum on it as it was too awkward a height (also was far too lazy to get a ladder and move stuff around to make space for it). 

Got my first BioNTech/Pfizer shot 10 minutes ago. Still alive and not abducted by aliens, growing extra limbs or feeling an irresistible urge to worship Microsoft 

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Got my first BioNTech/Pfizer shot 10 minutes ago. Still alive and not abducted by aliens, growing extra limbs or feeling an irresistible urge to worship Microsoft 

Well done, its always a good feeling knowing you have your first shot. Now you need to wait 2 weeks or so and you will have your  first antibodies. When is your second shot, mine is 15 September 🏥 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Well done, its always a good feeling knowing you have your first shot. Now you need to wait 2 weeks or so and you will have your  first antibodies. When is your second shot, mine is 15 September 🏥 

Well, in all fairness, I'm old enough that I should be concerned about catching it. Even with a life insurance, it places a burden on other people having to do all the funeral arrangements 😂

Second shot is scheduled for 6th of October, so about 5 weeks from now. A sore spot around the injection site is all I feel at the moment, but it may change over the weekend. Colleagues told me they felt a bit "wasted" the day after.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

16 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Well, in all fairness, I'm old enough that I should be concerned about catching it. Even with a life insurance, it places a burden on other people having to do all the funeral arrangements 😂

Second shot is scheduled for 6th of October, so about 5 weeks from now. A sore spot around the injection site is all I feel at the moment, but it may change over the weekend. Colleagues told me they felt a bit "wasted" the day after.

I was fortunate and had no side effects after my first jab, only slight pain like you on the actual injection spot 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I juuuust got off an online tabletop session with my mates, playing a quick improvised Eberron campaign, and it wasn't bad. I didn't like the virtual dice rolling though, I got no real exitement over the die-rolls since it's all computerized and feels disconnected. Still though, managed to drink half a bottle of rum along with it and had good fun. :)

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

There are ants in my room! *follows trail to closet*  Wait, why is this box of books water damaged?
"HUBBBBBBY!!!"  :lol:

...closet shares wall with bathroom. Doesn't seem wet right now and drywall isn't damaged (guess it was baseboard/carpet) but obviously got wet/was a leak at some point in the past few years.
...time to clean the closest in case we need to get in there. Toss a lot more things.
...meaning I found the box with all the old game paper boxes. MYST: 33MHz 386 or faster, 486 or faster for Win95, 4MB ram/8MB for Win 3.1 and Win95, SVGA monitor/display card (640x480, 256 colors)  --- ah the good ol' days!

• Like 1

...Does TV Guide still exist? I had all four of their 30-year ST 4-captains covers but the other three were too water damaged. 😕 

Stark-Trek_geek_-01.jpg

...I don't even remember buying those comics. I do remember the chocolate bar. Of course I remember chocolate. It wasn't very good chocolate tho...

Stark-Trek_geek_-02.jpg

• Like 2

I have one week until Ironman Santa Cruz 70.3. I am looking forward to the bike, since I bought a new Triathlon one this year, and it should fly up and down the coast. My run is my strength. I've been nursing a hamstring injury, but even if I have to slow it down, I am still comfortable with 13.1 miles. But I haven't been able to swim as much as I wanted this year. So we loaded up and went to the beach today to swim with a group called the Kelp Krawlers. I told myself to just get in and swim, and I ended up having a great time and feeling strong on a very long distance. So I think I'm ready for next week!

241131475_10220896599989468_815721375976

despite the prices, i decided to get a new GPU. Because people tend to snob AMD, the 6600XT dropped from its initial 700 euro price to 550 euro (still 180 over msrp) but i decided its as good as the price will get and i got one. the first thing i noticed over my old RX470 is the power saving that will, over time, pay off for the card. to use freesync i had the the fps limit set to 75 and the old card needed to run at 100W at nearly 80C and the fans at 100% to get me that number and more often than not it didn't get much over 60fps. this one is giving me stable 75fps in all games with 20-40W consumption and the fans off.

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Day off, so catching up on all the cleaning I should have been doing.

16 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

@Guard Dog I tried to PM you but it says you cant receive messages. Is your inbox full?

Theres a ~5" praying mantis on my bedroom windows and my cats dont know how to act.

It was. I had messages going back 10 years in there. All cleared out now. 

Thomas Sowell