What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

On 8/17/2021 at 5:03 AM, Hurlsnot said:

Endoscopes are rough, but it is important to do it. I shook the entire time. Colonoscopy was a cakewalk in comparison.

You just need to swallow. The worst felling is when you feel the probe hit the bottom of your stomach.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

My wife got a promotion and fat raise at work. WooHoo! Maybe I should blow it all on hats? I wanted to get a bucket hat for my vacation in Mexico but my wife said they look stupid. That and I dont wear hats.

IMO, bucket hats are for yardwork only.

I need a hat, but none of them really grab me (or are heavily associated with hipsters).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

19 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

My wife got a promotion and fat raise at work. WooHoo! Maybe I should blow it all on hats? I wanted to get a bucket hat for my vacation in Mexico but my wife said they look stupid. That and I dont wear hats.

Nice one, now you dont need to worry about things like UBI....you can retire early and live off your wife's salary :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am leaving this morning for a long weekend away from Cpt at the coastal town of Hermanus 

https://www.hermanus.co.za/

Exciting offcuts of food await me and this is a town famous for whale and dolphin sightings so it should be a good one 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 hours ago, Amentep said:

IMO, bucket hats are for yardwork only.

Or fishing. :p 

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Nice one, now you dont need to worry about things like UBI....you can retire early and live off your wife's salary :thumbsup:

I floated that theory to her and she shot it down with prejudice. :( Its not enough money for me to retire, and to be serious for a moment, the bigger problem with trying to retire early is figuring out the medical/dental/vision insurance from now to age 65 (when government insurance plans kick in).

• Like 1

You know I forgot about fishing.  Tells you how long it has been since I went fishing (ie I was a kid, fishing off a bank, and mostly caught trees).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Don't do it, Amentep, he'll murder you and dump your body in the water.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I do nothing but my wife has bought a new mattress because I guess our old one has too many miles or a blown valve or something. I dunno, I don't even know where the blinker fluid goes in the damn thing. I think she got some brand which I've never heard of before which isn't saying much because I only know like 4 mattress brands.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I rode my triathlon bike to work today. It was 60 degrees out and I was flying. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to cover the 28 mile commute.

But now it is 94 degrees, the air quality has dropped because of fires, and I need to figure out how to get home. :p

I'll just take it easy. I also need to stop for a bite to eat, since I didn't get lunch. So I will probably be slow pedaling it home.

16 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I do nothing but my wife has bought a new mattress because I guess our old one has too many miles or a blown valve or something. I dunno, I don't even know where the blinker fluid goes in the damn thing. I think she got some brand which I've never heard of before which isn't saying much because I only know like 4 mattress brands.

I got rid of my mattress last year, but that's because springs were poking out of it, and it had become deucedly difficult to sleep on.

17 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I rode my triathlon bike to work today. It was 60 degrees out and I was flying. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to cover the 28 mile commute.

But now it is 94 degrees, the air quality has dropped because of fires, and I need to figure out how to get home. :p

I'll just take it easy. I also need to stop for a bite to eat, since I didn't get lunch. So I will probably be slow pedaling it home.

So, 80 minutes to go 28 miles…. In the Bay area. I bet you could not have done it that quickly in your car LOL!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

21 MPH average speed is definitely faster than driving. :lol: 

In some cities, you bet!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I do love passing the long lines of cars trying to get out of town on Friday afternoon. The drive typically takes 45-60 minutes, so not really a time saver, but it is a lot more rewarding. I sweated my ass off today though. My water bottle went hot 5 minutes in, so it felt like I was gulping down lava to stay hydrated. Still beats driving. :p

haven't been able to use our bike for morning rides in over a week 'cause the air quality here is so bad, and the stationary bike we got just ain't the same. not surprising, late afternoon is ordinarily the worstest time o' day for air quality. current aqi is in the 200 range and it is only a little better in the am when we would be on the bike. the thing is, if is like last year and the year before, then am probable need waiting for the end o' september or mid october before we will be able to do regular outdoor exercise w/o needing to chew our air given all the particulates it contains. 

our place up in idaho is looking like an increasingly attractive alternative.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bull***t meetings for work today. Followed by gym (chest day), yoga, hot tub, shower, mexican food, and a bottle of wine. TGIF.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Re: air quality -

"It's hot in the house this afternoon, I'll open the back/front doors."
---10 minutes later---
*wheeze, sneeze*
"Never mind."

...I still have the air filter units I bought last major fires. Developed the habit of having the bigger one in living room and the little one in my PC room on 24/7 and while indoors I allergy sniffle/sneeze a lot less (even before all the recent fires I mean).  Must be doing something re: float-y dust at least. So I tell myself. The filter sure gets dirty after 3-4 months, at any rate.   >.>

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Getting ready for hurricane Ida. It will likely be largely spent by the time it gets to me but still expecting plenty or wind and rain. Praying for the folks down in New Orleans and the LA gulf coast. 

Thomas Sowell

Spent all Sunday evening at one of the local theaters here in Brisbane together with friends. Something called Short+Sweet the gala finals

https://thetivoli.com.au/events/short-and-sweet

A bit like xyz got talent, except it was the winners of a number of competitions all over Queensland competing for the votes of the audience and the professional judges. Each team (1-4 people) had 10 minutes for their performance. It was absolutely fantastic and varied. From improvised rap over serious drama to cabaret and humour. I loved it.

The margarita were good too 🍹

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I’m taking Sunny to the doctor this afternoon. She turned her nose up at food for two days now. Yesterday I got her to eat a little scrambled eggs and hamburger when she didn’t want her usual. Today she wants nothing and is a little lethargic. That worries me so doctor time.

• Gasp! 1

Thomas Sowell

^ 🤞

So my hummingbird feeder has an unintended byproduct, namely wasps. Turns out they go loco for the sugar water too. Normally Id be fine with this, live and let live, but it got to the point of them dominating the feeder and no hummingbirds coming. That and they were drinking a 2 cup reservoir in like 2 days (which blows my mind that they can drink so much)! I decided to leave it empty for a few days in the hopes they would "forget" about it, and just now I refilled it. If it turns into a wasp swarm again Ill probably just remove the liquid feeder and replace it with a normal seed type feeder. 

Yeah wasps are a downer.  My dad got stung by one a few weeks back at his feeder, and ended up having a bad reaction to it (he's okay now).

Hubby's sis and her husband were over yesterday. He's recently been able to walk without a walker/cane again and seems fairly well with few (visible) side effects (he had a massive stroke a while back, was pretty bad, they're in their early/mid 60's).  Hopefully that continues. 

Myself, still doing well/feeling good. Just relaxing and keeping busy here and there. Find myself growing ever more greedy re: wanting to be with/do things with the hubster. Feels weirdly like when you first start a relationship and you spend all your time together, right - then after years together you're not doing that constantly ... now I'm back to wanting to be by his side all the time.  Maybe it's driving him nuts for all I know.  Like I said, greedy.  Time could be short or long, never know. Don't want to miss any time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts