What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

53 minutes ago, majestic said:

Finally managed to get to the barber shop. Feels a lot better, but I'm kind of missing being able to stroke my beard like some ancient Chinese kung-fu master in an Eastern.

You win some, you lose some, I guess. :p

But do you have the eyebrows to pull it off?

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

A/C is on the fritz. Hope this doesn't cost me an arm or a leg.

Pay with your kidney, that might have some consequences later on, but they're much less immediate than losing an arm or a leg. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

10 hours ago, ShadySands said:

A/C is on the fritz. Hope this doesn't cost me an arm or a leg.

Sorry to hear, that can create some uncomfortable body temperature changes. But I reckon after 24 hours your body temperature will be fine and then you will feel much better. I cant sleep if my body temperature is too high ....but I normally shower before sleeping 🥟

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Pay with your kidney, that might have some consequences later on, but they're much less immediate than losing an arm or a leg. :yes:

Would you suggest to Shady that he should donate one of his kidney to science ....they pay good money and Shady is in good shape normally so it should be no issues 🍩

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, majestic said:

This man knows organ trading.

Back out sitting with dogs on step, used to do this with my old one who passed away in 2018.  Deciding to listen to Russian rock, helps keep passers by on other side of street :lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Would you suggest to Shady that he should donate one of his kidney to science ....they pay good money and Shady is in good shape normally so it should be no issues 🍩

I fixed it myself after getting a few HVAC quotes. They wanted both arms and both legs plus a hypothetical phantom limb I call Rigby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Just now, ShadySands said:

I fixed it myself after getting a few HVAC quotes. They wanted both arms and both legs plus a hypothetical phantom limb I call Rigby.

No one takes Rigby.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Bought air purifiers because our air quality has been crap and is now crappier thanks to all the smoke from wildfires.

have a friend who ten years ago retired from the sacramento city fire department. while he were still working as a captain, we asked him what were with the facial hair thing for firemen. keep in mind this were some time past and before the current popularity o' male facial hair we now need enjoy. our friend pointed out how old timey firemen grew big mustaches in particular 'cause the facial hair were believed to make breathing easier by filtering out smoke when breathing through the nose. after breathing apparatus became a thing, the mustaches were no longer one o' the few options to assist breathing, but firemen is one o' those jobs where traditions die hard.

am not making this up.

our friend, who is a big fan o' the pittsburgh steelers but is originally from jamaica and then moved to new york in his early twenties (he is kinda proud o' having achieved US citizenship but is no less proud o' being from jamaica) keeps the mustache even after he lost his hair and quit working for the fire department. haven't asked him if he keeps for aesthetic reasons or 'cause the air quality in the sacramento valley is so bad every summer that he needs the soup strainer stache to breathe when he jogs every morning.

regardless, if you wanna go old timey fireman, you can supplement the air filters with an obnoxious mustache.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we cannot grow facial hair and am suspecting we would need many air filters to make a difference in our home, so instead we just cough up ugly dark phlegm once or twice a day.  

• Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

ps we cannot grow facial hair and am suspecting we would need many air filters to make a difference in our home, so instead we just cough up ugly dark phlegm once or twice a day. 

Atleast I don't get that at home, it's just at work that I have to deal with dark boogers and phlegm.

A company is constructing a new waste storage/recycling facility behind my current workplace, and we've had troubles with dust as soon as it was dry, so my boss ordered some testing equipment brought along to check the values and consult the authorities about what values are acceptable. Even he was stunned at how high tolerance they have for dust and pollutants at the workplace, because it has to literally become three times as bad as it is right now before they'll take action, and we're already having coughing and sneezing fits.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just now, Azdeus said:

Atleast I don't get that at home, it's just at work that I have to deal with dark boogers and phlegm.

A company is constructing a new waste storage/recycling facility behind my current workplace, and we've had troubles with dust as soon as it was dry, so my boss ordered some testing equipment brought along to check the values and consult the authorities about what values are acceptable. Even he was stunned at how high tolerance they have for dust and pollutants at the workplace, because it has to literally become three times as bad as it is right now before they'll take action, and we're already having coughing and sneezing fits.

decades past, we worked a few summers in high school for a maintenance crew which were employed by a housing development. all kinda different jobs. we were used mostly for roofing 'cause we had that weird indian height indifference. 'course we also got stuck doing painting o' houses, which included the prep work. prep house to paint requires strip old paint and to achieve such we used electric rotary sanders. wear a mask and we still ended up with black snot at the end o' the day 'cause the masks never fit perfect when you were doing improbable kinda stretching and reaching and you inevitable knocked the mask askew while on a ladder and with one arm holding the sander and one on the ladder or building, mask adjustments were impractical. worse, you had to take off the masks eventual and all that sh!te were still in the air. 

more peculiar for us were the behavior o' coworkers at the start o' summer when we did weed eating o' fire breaks. a tractor would knock down tall weeds, kicking up great plumes o' dirt and dust. amusing 'cause we always had to be aware o' the tractor starting fires. had a small dedicated water truck with us to put out fires the tractor started. along with the tractor, two guys would knock down areas o' dry weeds with industrial strength weed eaters. were always rocky or inaccessible areas the tractor would not reach. protective gear were goggles or sunglasses, earplugs (maybe), snake chaps (they went from ankle to knee and were cloth but with a copper mesh between the layers o' fabric), and particle masks. most o' our coworkers did not use the masks 'cause it made breathing more difficult, were hot and eventual the rubber straps gave you a headache. the guy running the tractor (he were in his early 40s but looked like he were in late 60s,) liked to smoke (we kid you not) while he operated the tractor meant to create firebreaks. we used the mask religious and still coughed up evil too frequent for us to be happy 'bout it. just being in proximity to the tractor meant taking off the mask to get water or fix a busted weed eater resulted in the swallowing o' dust and worse. 'cant imagine how bad it were for our coworkers.

people is all nuts.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

decades past, we worked a few summers in high school for a maintenance crew which were employed by a housing development. all kinda different jobs. we were used mostly for roofing 'cause we had that weird indian height indifference. 'course we also got stuck doing painting o' houses, which included the prep work. prep house to paint requires strip old paint and to achieve such we used electric rotary sanders. wear a mask and we still ended up with black snot at the end o' the day 'cause the masks never fit perfect when you were doing improbable kinda stretching and reaching and you inevitable knocked the mask askew while on a ladder and with one arm holding the sander and one on the ladder or building, mask adjustments were impractical. worse, you had to take off the masks eventual and all that sh!te were still in the air. 

more peculiar for us were the behavior o' coworkers at the start o' summer when we did weed eating o' fire breaks. a tractor would knock down tall weeds, kicking up great plumes o' dirt and dust. amusing 'cause we always had to be aware o' the tractor starting fires. had a small dedicated water truck with us to put out fires the tractor started. along with the tractor, two guys would knock down areas o' dry weeds with industrial strength weed eaters. were always rocky or inaccessible areas the tractor would not reach. protective gear were goggles or sunglasses, earplugs (maybe), snake chaps (they went from ankle to knee and were cloth but with a copper mesh between the layers o' fabric), and particle masks. most o' our coworkers did not use the masks 'cause it made breathing more difficult, were hot and eventual the rubber straps gave you a headache. the guy running the tractor (he were in his early 40s but looked like he were in late 60s,) liked to smoke (we kid you not) while he operated the tractor meant to create firebreaks. we used the mask religious and still coughed up evil too frequent for us to be happy 'bout it. just being in proximity to the tractor meant taking off the mask to get water or fix a busted weed eater resulted in the swallowing o' dust and worse. 'cant imagine how bad it were for our coworkers.

people is all nuts.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir did you get   a bursary for University or did you pay for it yourself ? Also when you worked at school what did you use the money for. I always think of this reality and how young people do sometimes have to get part time jobs in school and I thinks it both unfair yet I understand the necessity 

University debt  I know is a bugbear and my degree was paid for by family as was all my siblings and we were fortunate , I always admire and respect how many students have to pay for their own debt yet I know it can be a burden once you qualified. But I still stand by the view that it can be done with a structured payment program but it would be nice if student  debt could be written off once 50 % is paid in all countries ?

I am just trying to find a way that anyone who has to pay for their degree and once they qualified is given some relief and allowed to be debt free of the original loan

John Milton 

undergraduate we were a scholarship student, at first athletic and then academic. grad school and european teaching/studying were not complete free for us, but we did have scholarships in europe and while in the US we were paid to teach... bit complicated, but no loans.

laws school we had to pay for, but we worked full time while simultaneous going to school full time. we took max loans as well. took the loans 'cause they were low interest and large lump sums which we used not for school but for real estate investment.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

undergraduate we were a scholarship student, at first athletic and then academic. grad school and european teaching/studying were not complete free for us, but we did have scholarships in europe and while in the US we were paid to teach... bit complicated, but no loans.

laws school we had to pay for, but we worked full time while simultaneous going to school full time. we took max loans as well. took the loans 'cause they were low interest and large lump sums which we used not for school but for real estate investment.

HA! Good Fun!

I am seriously considering creating a separate thread where I am looking for feedback and personal stories from all members about what advice they can give others about the best way to get an effective ( and this is a real topic because one of the current global challengers is the fact that some degrees dont help you get a job that creates a sustainable revenue stream)    university degree and how to  able to fund it and not be left with crushing debt. Because as I mentioned I am well aware how not having pay for degree is a huge relief

So in your example would you have been able to go to University without  that initial athletic scholarship ? And then obviously you worked hard at  school and you were academic and did well enough to qualify for a legal degree but how much did that allow you to study law .....or did you initially study something else? So what I mean is did the athletic scholarship automatically grant you access to study law without the initial school requirement or did you still have to achieve certain final grade 12 marks before you could quality for an athletic bursary ?

John Milton 

I seem to be recovering ok from whatever was going on with me. I will still see a dentist to see if there is some dental infection related thing or something (still odd it was painless tho, if so). Key is I can hopefully now do so (in a week or so) without fitfully coughing and sniffling right into someone's face.

Keto styled diet/two meals a day also still working/feeling great? Still no insulin required and that's felt like freedom, but still hoping glucose will go even lower over more time.

Oh ... after watching me get cheerier and more energetic all the time (and seeing me not need insulin), hubby decided to try the same. Which meant he had to quit beer, because (his) daily beer consumption and Keto don't get along.  He was quite grumpy for the first few days. :lol: 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heat wave here, guess will need to wake up super early to go for a walk.  Tall ask on my week off, though.  Rather annoyed couldn't get enough chores to fill 5 days as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Right now I’m sitting on the tailgate of my truck drinking a Gatorade and talking to you fine folks. I’m in Brownsville. Had to come out here and fix an irrigation pump on one of my properties. The 60/40 pressure switch crapped out. Easy fix. One thing I love about small towns. I bought the replacement at this little mom and pop hardware store in Brownsville called Heywoods hardware. Sunny came in with me off leash follow me around the store follow me out not a word was said. Other than “nice doggy what’s her name“. Try that in the city and everybody freaks the hell out. 

five years ago I would not even have attempted that though. Sunny was very impulsive and inergetic. No way would I trust her off the leash. But she is by any dog standard a senior girl now. That calmed her down much more than any training I could ever do. One cool thing about current circumstances it’s been well over a year since her and I parted company for more than a few minutes.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

got an irrigation problem o' our own, but is a past tense thing. a couple weeks ago we noticed after one o' those 110 degree stretches o' heat that one o' our japanese maples were looking a little weary-- patches o' leaves were positively autumnal. solution: we got out the hose and gave the tree an extra ten minutes o' significant daily irrigation. the ten minutes with the hose were in addition to 30 minutes daily via "drip." more than drip as it were kinda a spray attached to otherwise spaghetti drip lines.

after a week o' increased watering, the tree looked worse rather than better, so, being a simple caveman at heart, we increased the watering by an additional 10 minutes.

*eye roll*

has 'been 'bout a month and if the tree ain't dead it is so close it might as well be.

fudge. 

HA! Good Fun!

Not laughing at your tree. It just reminded me of this.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 8/9/2021 at 10:24 AM, Gromnir said:

Got no problem growing facial hairs. All my hair seems to grow on my head for some reason. I was once in the slightly awkward situation of having a girl asking me in all seriousness if I had wax jobs done to my arms (I was wearing a t-shirt and she was absolutely fascinated by my arms for some reason). Only after that experience did I become a bit self conscious and started looking at other peoples arms 😂

No, I really don't grow much in the way of body hair by comparison to a lot of other people and most of me could probably look like something that had had a wax treatment (never been anywhere near one). I've always had a mane on my head that made me look like a 70's hippie though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I had a lovely conversation with my coworkers today about places we'd like to go, we were speaking about Italy.

Me; "I'd have liked to see Pompeii"

Them; "Pom-what?"

Me; "Good talk, I'm going home now, bye!"

screw-this-im-out.gif

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken