What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Gotcha. Yeah, when they redid the forums that time all kinds of small annoyances re auto-formatting since.  😄

Re: uncle: I vote for massive prank with the aunt.  Sounds more fun.  :devil:

Having a good nights sleep on it, I'm thinking the same 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I went to one of  my brothers place for a braai\barbeque yesterday. It was a great afternoon and the weather is getting warmer so yay for that 

My CPT family also had a frank and open discussion about my dads dementia as it got worse during the looting and violence we experienced 3 weeks ago. My dad is going through forms of PTSD which only adds adversely  to his general views and overall health 

But my sister has found as excellent retirement village that offers all retirement services like gyms, walks, restaurants, 24 frailty care and most important they have a specialized dementia unit to care for people suffering from Alzheimer's and other forms of mental ailments. So its perfect for my dad, its only opening officially at the end of 2023

The hard part is going to be convincing my dad this is the right place for him to live at, he has traditionally rejected any kind of retirement village as he values his independence

But we dont really have a choice as he will  require proper, qualified healthcare as the years go on. But take a look for those interested and ask how you would feel about living here? I think its perfect and its close to all of us in CPT

https://www.greatoaksvillage.co.za/

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

GUYS! GUYS! (and gal) IT WORKED!!! I saw and made a 47 second recording of a hummingbird eating from my feeder. Interestingly, even though the feeder has a ring around the bottom for the hummingbirds to land on while they eat, this particular one wouldnt land and instead hovered the entire time it was eating. In other news, I need to get out more. :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

GUYS! GUYS! (and gal) IT WORKED!!! I saw and made a 47 second recording of a hummingbird eating from my feeder. Interestingly, even though the feeder has a ring around the bottom for the hummingbirds to land on while they eat, this particular one wouldnt land and instead hovered the entire time it was eating. In other news, I need to get out more. :lol: 

I dont know, it sounds interesting to me?

But I definitely need to get out more  though :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

49 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Wait until you get two and they start trying to drive one another off! 😄 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah they're super-territorial.  So when you get a group that realizes you've got food in their yard you'll see them chasing one another off.  Makes it harder to watch them though as they tend to not spend as much time still (but I also think it may be why your hummingbird didn't alight, in case another hummingbird came by).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

You say there's a video but provide none 😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fair enough, it is near your home, so is a good thing to do.  You don't want to give random people possible evidence to hunt you down.   Every piece of information is a tile to make a mosaic about your life.

Is why I lie 90% of the time. 😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Is why I lie 90% of the time.

I try to be careful about what info gets out on the net so I can relate.
You all don't really think all those pictures I posted over the years are really me, do you?  I hired a model ages ago.   :shifty:

5 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I thought about it but I dont want the metadata leaking all over the place. 👀

If you open and resave the video in most editors, you can opt to remove/not have the embedded metadata/EXIF included.  I do that with my camera/photos too if I'm posting to the 'net.  Course that's an extra step. I think there are ways to elect to remove it in-phone too, but you'd have to Google that, probably depends on phone system/apps etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

You all don't really think all those pictures I posted over the years are really me, do you?  I hired a model ages ago.  

That doesn't work well on Tinder sadly.  I have managed to convince my Indian coworkers that this is me though

Sam_Lake_03-829x1100.jpg

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Malcador said:

Is why I lie 90% of the time. 😛

I always suspected that, hi Oby :thumbsup:

John Milton 

I was going to post about what I did last weekend yesterday, but I was completely knackered after work so I fell asleep.

Aaaanyway, @Pidesco invited me to fika on Saturday and so I met him and his lovely family! I had a great time chatting for a few hours about everything between heaven and earth, though in my exitement to go meet him I actually forgot to bring my GPU. So on sunday we met a second time and this time I handed over my massive GPU, which ofcourse led to some more discussions and some fika 😄

Eventually we agreed to meet up again, and this time to remember to take a picture to commemorate the meeting!

So thank you to Pidesco for a couple of awesome eve's!

• Like 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I was going to post about what I did last weekend yesterday, but I was completely knackered after work so I fell asleep.

Aaaanyway, @Pidesco invited me to fika on Saturday and so I met him and his lovely family! I had a great time chatting for a few hours about everything between heaven and earth, though in my exitement to go meet him I actually forgot to bring my GPU. So on sunday we met a second time and this time I handed over my massive GPU, which ofcourse led to some more discussions and some fika 😄

Eventually we agreed to meet up again, and this time to remember to take a picture to commemorate the meeting!

So thank you to Pidesco for a couple of awesome eve's!

Well done for meeting someone you know from the forum in RL, it sounded like a really nice gathering   8)

Their is no one active in SA from this forum and in all my years of gaming and the games I play, including MMO, that has always been the case but I have always been surprised how no one on this forum has generally met other members when members live in the same city. I wouldnt  necessarily expect people to travel to other states or cities. I would definitely be keen to meet some  forum members if we lived in the same city but thats just me

I understand that their would be various reasons for this lack of RL interaction and that is fine and justified

But I do find it unusual from a social perspective that when people have been chatting on forums for years and have things in common they have no interest in meeting in RL ..even occasionally ?

Does anyone know or can anyone  explain why that is from a personal perspective?

John Milton 

49 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Well done for meeting someone you know from the forum in RL, it sounded like a really nice gathering   8)

Their is no one active in SA from this forum and in all my years of gaming and the games I play, including MMO, that has always been the case but I have always been surprised how no one on this forum has generally met other members when members live in the same city. I wouldnt  necessarily expect people to travel to other states or cities. I would definitely be keen to meet some  forum members if we lived in the same city but thats just me

I understand that their would be various reasons for this lack of RL interaction and that is fine and justified

But I do find it unusual from a social perspective that when people have been chatting on forums for years and have things in common they have no interest in meeting in RL ..even occasionally ?

Does anyone know or can anyone  explain why that is from a personal perspective?

We have had a couple of RL meetups but they have been, of course, very rare. I remember Eldar met with someone else a couple of times, but I can't recall who. Myself I met Rosbjerg 11 years ago when we went together to Roskilde. At one point Krezack, Allanschu and Gorgon might have joined us, but sadly they ended up backing out.

Otherwise I'm friend on facebook with a few forum denizens. I just spoke with allanschu today, there, for instance. I also have Bokishi, Role-Player, Kor Qel Droma(he's a grandpa now!), Drabek, Muso, and Kirottu there if I recall correctly? Oh, and Rosbjerg, of course. Thinking about it there are surely more.

Anyway meeting @Azdeus, the serial coffe drinker, was very awesome, and we are sure to get together again. Also it is great to be able to talk about gaming again, you know, with actual voices involved.

I can't believe I totally forgot it, but I met Tigranes once for dinner, when he visited Lisbon for some conference thing.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

5 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

We have had a couple of RL meetups but they have been, of course, very rare. I remember Eldar met with someone else a couple of times, but I can't recall who. Myself I met Rosbjerg 11 years ago when we went together to Roskilde. At one point Krezack, Allanschu and Gorgon might have joined us, but sadly they ended up backing out.

Otherwise I'm friend on facebook with a few forum denizens. I just spoke with allanschu today, there, for instance. I also have Bokishi, Role-Player, Kor Qel Droma(he's a grandpa now!), Drabek, Muso, and Kirottu there if I recall correctly? Oh, and Rosbjerg, of course. Thinking about it there are surely more.

Anyway meeting @Azdeus, the serial coffe drinker, was very awesome, and we are sure to get together again. Also it is great to be able to talk about gaming again, you know, with actual voices involved.

Good to know you reaching out in a reasonable way and you do have SM interaction  which is a  form of contact . I remember allansch very well, he was always one of my favorite members. Is he still at Bioware?

Pidesco do you know what would be nice, if I lived in Gothenburg I could at your house every weekend enjoying that delicious Portuguese cuisine, did I ever tell you much I love Portuguese food ? I eat everything that is considered Portuguese food and we have a  vibrant and established Portuguese community in SA that sustains and creates its own food unique to the culture

I have eaten and love flame grilled  sardines, gizzards, livers and anything similar

Every year in JHB, expect for the current pandemic, their are numerous Portuguese food festivals. I use to go every year religiously to this one. It had the best variety of authentic food served in numerous food stalls and food tents 🍗

https://lusitoassociation.org.za/lusito-land

John Milton 

22 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I met a couple of other people that I first got to know on the 'net, but I didn't have a drivers licence and regular work up until recently so it's mainly been because of a lack of money that I haven't met more. I missed out on a couple of guild meetups in the UK because I couldn't pay the plane tickets.

17 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

I can't believe I totally forgot it, but I met Tigranes once for dinner, when he visited Lisbon for some conference thing.

I resemble that remark 🤣 I'm on my 5th so far in 2.5 hours, I'll remember to bring some grinds next time so I don't drink you out of your house! 😄

I'm sure that everyone could hear me speak too at times :p It was awesome, and I'm looking forward to the next time!

• Like 2

I thought fika was Swedish slang for sex 🤔

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, Gorth said:

You right Gorthfuscious and look how close suddenly Azdeus and Pidesco have become ......you right :teehee:

John Milton 

34 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Nono, that's "hej".

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Things do get fika'd up sometimes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

https://www.swedishfood.com/fika

@Gorth

I looked it up and it looks very social and great fun 

John Milton 

2 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.swedishfood.com/fika

@Gorth

I looked it up and it looks very social and great fun 

The origin of the word fika isn't as much slang as it is from a secret language peddlers used that later became a slang word.

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

It would require planning, and leaving the house. :p

Edit: I've met three 'net people in my life, all in my late 20's.  Ppl I met on a depression newsgroup/usenet back in the day.  It was all interesting but typically I just try to keep things separated these days.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts