What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know about anyone else, but yesterday's weather was bordering on apocalyptic yesterday here. Skies went green: insane lightning storm that lasted from like 8 PM to maybe 2 AM with literally 70mph winds that were knocking down or outright breaking trees in half left and right, plenty of hail, some flooding, and the power was out most of the night. Saw a neighbor nearly get squashed by a big chunk of their oak tree snapping off and missing them (as in their actual person, because they decided being outside during the worst of all of this was a good idea) by literal inches. Stay indoors during insane weather if you can, folks.

I feel you, I didn't have winds or anything like that, but I had over 100+ lightningstrikes a minute for about 45 minutes yesterday, it was awesome and I loved every minute of it 😄

blixt.JPG.830a2ba0d628b5d89fc27779e9eac105.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know about anyone else, but yesterday's weather was bordering on apocalyptic yesterday here. Skies went green: insane lightning storm that lasted from like 8 PM to maybe 2 AM with literally 70mph winds that were knocking down or outright breaking trees in half left and right, plenty of hail, some flooding, and the power was out most of the night. Saw a neighbor nearly get squashed by a big chunk of their oak tree snapping off and missing them (as in their actual person, because they decided being outside during the worst of all of this was a good idea) by literal inches. Stay indoors during insane weather if you can, folks.

No green skies, but we've had the apocalpyse come and go several times recently. Including a tornado not far away from where I live (like 80 miles or so). I can't recall an F4 level tornado that happened here before, ever. 

Lots of hailstorms with egg-sized chunks of ice, floodings with rivers eight meters above their usual levels... yeah, 's been pretty wild.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Thunderstorms can be a bit crazy in Brisbane at times. Haven’t had good ones recently,  (only noticeable one was 71.000 lightning strikes) but 6-7 years ago I managed to catch a few minutes of light show on video. It was non stop lightning over a weekend, from Friday night to Sunday night. 200.000+ lightning strikes in 48 hours over the city

All of the state got to feel the static that year (from the news)

@majestic look at the bright side, if ocean levels rise significantly, lots of Austria will suddenly become attractive beach properties 😁

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

48 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Thunderstorms can be a bit crazy in Brisbane at times. Haven’t had good ones recently,  (only noticeable one was 71.000 lightning strikes) but 6-7 years ago I managed to catch a few minutes of light show on video. It was non stop lightning over a weekend, from Friday night to Sunday night. 200.000+ lightning strikes in 48 hours over the city

All of the state got to feel the static that year (from the news)

@majestic look at the bright side, if ocean levels rise significantly, lots of Australia will suddenly become attractive beach properties 😁

I really would like to go to Tornado Alley with some rental car in april-june and hope to see a tornado and some magnificent thunderstorms...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

We had like 3 weeks of on and off rain that almost caused some flooding. And the power is starting to stress because even after the February freeze, Texas ain't done **** to improve the grid and it's getting real hot.

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Another day, another case of 40-50 people replying to a e-mailing list saying 'Remove Me'.  That was high point of day, really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I remember a listserv back in the day where an out of office message war began between two dude's emails on the listserv broke out.  Amid the 100s of "I'm out of the office" emails were hundreds of "Remove me!!!!!" which started new chains on the out of office messages.  Good times....

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

39 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I remember a listserv back in the day where an out of office message war began between two dude's emails on the listserv broke out.  Amid the 100s of "I'm out of the office" emails were hundreds of "Remove me!!!!!" which started new chains on the out of office messages.  Good times....

Today I learned of -https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/me-too/ba-p/610643

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd heard of that before.  Thankfully ours wasn't that bad!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

our insurance provider called us up to tell us we underpaid for home insurance in june, even though we paid the amount demanded at that time. explanation is the nameless and faceless underwriters decided the fire threat in our area were higher than previous realized, so they retroactive (?) increased our premiums by more than $100... on top o' the june increase which were more than $500 above what we paid last year. didn't help that initially the insurer were trying to make it sound as if we had made a mistake in june and underpaid. 

*sigh*

y'know, we were gonna fight it, but it's too hot and am getting too old.

we did explain how this kinda after the fact price hike did not make us want to continue our decades long relationship particular as we shopped around and discovered we could get cheaper with other providers. we were gonna keep 'em for at least our home residence, but our patience has evaporated. 

we will observe the recent widespread ca wildfires these past few years has caused all homeowner insurance premiums in our geographic area to rise, but our insurer has been worse than most. plus, since am now only having a handful o' properties insured with them, is clear they do not feel the need to cater to us. had gotten kinda accustomed to the first class treatment but am now an ordinary plebeian.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A couple of years back the Georgia Pacific timber company pulled out of operations near real foot slough upstate. They sold off the land at auction. I got a piece of it at the bargain basement price of $480 per acre. But here’s the catch, there’s no utility or paved road access. No big deal I figured because I had other plans for it anyway. Well none of that trash worked out. 

now the guy that ended up with the biggest piece of it reached out to me about buying mine. We agreed on a price yesterday. Basically I’m going to get all the money I’ve put into it back but I’m not really making anything on it. Well this whole deal proves one thing for certain. I may dabble in real estate but when it comes to buying and selling dirt I am no Donald Bren. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got punched in the face going home from work after a roadraged **** decided to follow me. That was fun. There's no witnesses to it either, and I couldn't fight back since I was in the drivers seat. Police told me to my face that there's not much they can do since I couldn't get the licence plate on his car, but I've got everyone I know looking for his car, it's quite distinct. Atleast I could avoid most of his punches by keeping in the car but he still got me in the nose and cheek, and got a fat lip from it.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Gasp! 3
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Azdeus said:

Got punched in the face going home from work after a roadraged **** decided to follow me. That was fun. There's no witnesses to it either, and I couldn't fight back since I was in the drivers seat. Police told me to my face that there's not much they can do since I couldn't get the licence plate on his car, but I've got everyone I know looking for his car, it's quite distinct.

**** dude, sorry to hear that. It's a good idea to have dash cam in your car. I've been procrastinating on getting one for a while, but I think if that happened over here even if I had it on camera I doubt it would help any with the police...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Sorry to hear that Azdeus.  Good luck hunting him down, though.  I mean, in a non lethal way.

I'm impressed I dreamed a sequel to the dream from the night before.  Less impressed with what I recall of the content though.

Edited by Malcador

46 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sorry to hear that Azdeus.  Good luck hunting him down, though.  I mean, in a non lethal way.

I'm impressed I dreamed a sequel to the dream from the night before.  Less impressed with what I recall of the content though.

Rare for a sequel to be better than the first.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

**** dude, sorry to hear that. It's a good idea to have dash cam in your car. I've been procrastinating on getting one for a while, but I think if that happened over here even if I had it on camera I doubt it would help any with the police...

Thank you, yeah, it's been on my shopping list forever aswell, but just as you I've not taken that plunge yet. I'm going to use my credit card now though. I think I might've lost my licence if I did show the cops the video though because I tried to outrun him after a while, I thought I had lost him for a while, but he forced a lorry driver to nearly crash instead, and I was doing about 240km before that. Had it not been for the roadworks I could've lost him. He caught up to me when I tried to hide instead of driving like a madman, there was too much traffic at that point.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Thank you, I will ofcourse only hand over the information of his wearabouts to the police, to insure he is dealt with fairly.

Atleast my nose stopped bleeding now, it looks about as straight as when I last looked at it a few weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Thank you, I will ofcourse only hand over the information of his wearabouts to the police, to insure he is dealt with fairly.

:p

edit:

Language warning, obviously.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, Sarex said:

Rare for a sequel to be better than the first.

Not hard to beat, to be honest. But I did catch the airplane.  Now just imagine dreaming about 4 hours of being on a flight to Istanbul.  :lol:

am pretty sure hummingbird "nectar" is just colored sugar water. 

step 1: boil water

step 2: add sugar and stir until dissolved

step 3: allow liquid to cool

step 4: fill hummingbird feeder with "nectar."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Purchased some bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones a few days back on an impulse when I saw them go for a hundred dollars off. Been playing around with them yesterday and today, and I'm thinking I should've done this a long time ago. 30+ hour battery life with like a 45 minute to full charge isn't all that inconvenient, either.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

41 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am pretty sure hummingbird "nectar" is just colored sugar water. 

step 1: boil water

step 2: add sugar and stir until dissolved

step 3: allow liquid to cool

step 4: fill hummingbird feeder with "nectar."

HA! Good Fun!

Simple syrup, also works well to reinvigorate bumblebees and bees and is an important ingredient in some drinks ;)