What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

Old thread (where we left off)

Finally got past the point where my body hurts, waking up in the middle of the night with belly cramps, just to get cramps in all the back muscles when trying to straighten out the belly muscles 😂

The joy of pushing yourself a bit harder at the gym and doing things you normally never do...

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just now, Gorth said:

Old thread

<placeholder>

Finally got past the point where my body hurts, waking up in the middle of the night with belly cramps, just to get cramps in all the back muscles when trying to straighten out the belly muscles 😂

The joy of pushing yourself a bit harder at the gym and doing things you normally never do...

Well done for exercising and training  harder at the gym 🏋️‍♂️

In these difficult times of pandemic its important to try to stay in good health as much as possible as their is no doubt their is a link between virus severity and your overall health

What  is your  training program and how have you changed things ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Well done for exercising and training  harder at the gym 🏋️‍♂️

In these difficult times of pandemic its important to try to stay in good health as much as possible as their is no doubt their is a link between virus severity and your overall health

What  is your  training program and how have you changed things ?

No real program per se. Just rotating around the gym using the machinery and the weights. Swapping between two exercises at a time. Do 15 lifts/pushes/pulls here, next machine. 15. then back to first. Rinse and repeat 5 times. Then move on to the next two exercises and repeat. What caught me off guard the most is, I've never really done sit a lot of ups before. Nor the opposite (i.e. bending your back backwards). Being a 24/7 gym, I go there at night so I have it all for myself. Nobody else around at 2-3am 😛

Edit: In the past, I mostly did cardio in the gym, but I have a "gym grade" exercise bike at home now. Complete with heart rate monitor and everything else.

Edit2: My problem with cardio is, it's so frigging boring. With an exercise bike at home, I can at least put a laptop on a table in front of it and show some movies, making it all feel less mind numbing.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, Gorth said:

No real program per se. Just rotating around the gym using the machinery and the weights. Swapping between two exercises at a time. Do 15 lifts/pushes/pulls here, next machine. 15. then back to first. Rinse and repeat 5 times. Then move on to the next two exercises and repeat. What caught me off guard the most is, I've never really done sit a lot of ups before. Nor the opposite (i.e. bending your back backwards). Being a 24/7 gym, I go there at night so I have it all for myself. Nobody else around at 2-3am 😛

Edit: In the past, I mostly did cardio in the gym, but I have a "gym grade" exercise bike at home now. Complete with heart rate monitor and everything else.

Edit2: My problem with cardio is, it's so frigging boring. With an exercise bike at home, I can at least put a laptop on a table in front of it and show some movies, making it all feel less mind numbing.

Its always a good idea to mix up your training,  I have mentioned since the lockdown that I dont go to gyms anymore when they open because in SA they can really be places where the virus spreads

So I do my 5km walks, I dont think they as effective as going to gym but its good exercise and I am very fortunate to be living in a city where I can do this easily . But you made me think of something else

You live in the Gold Coast right? What is the time their now, in SA its 7am now 

Also when you say you train at 2-3  am when do you sleep and do you work  night shifts? I use to sometimes work at night on certain projects which was optional and it suited me but since I moved to Cpt I work " normal " hours and work during the day 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Its always a good idea to mix up your training,  I have mentioned since the lockdown that I dont go to gyms anymore when they open because in SA they can really be places where the virus spreads

So I do my 5km walks, I dont think they as effective as going to gym but its good exercise and I am very fortunate to be living in a city where I can do this easily . But you made me think of something else

You live in the Gold Coast right? What is the time their now, in SA its 7am now 

Also when you say you train at 2-3  am when do you sleep and do you work  night shifts? I use to sometimes work at night on certain projects which was optional and it suited me but since I moved to Cpt I work " normal " hours and work during the day 

Not quite, The Gold Coast is a bit further south (where all the drugs, gambling dens and prostitutes are). I live closer to Brisbane. I usually go there three times a week, making one of days fall on the weekend. On workdays… we’ll I don’t really have to be anywhere before 9am (working from home) so I catch a shower and still get like 5 hours of sleep

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Not quite, The Gold Coast is a bit further south (where all the drugs, gambling dens and prostitutes are). I live closer to Brisbane. I usually go there three times a week, making one of days fall on the weekend. On workdays… we’ll I don’t really have to be anywhere before 9am (working from home) so I catch a shower and still get like 5 hours of sleep

Okay got it, so the Gold Coast is the place to be ....I understand and support your endorsement 🥳

• Haha 1

John Milton 

Everyone needs cardio buddies to make it more enjoyable to knock out the miles. My running group gets me out of bed very early, but I'm always happy I did.

I don't know that I'd call my Cycling group buddies. They are all jerks and my entire purpose in life is to not let them ditch me too early into the ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Everyone needs cardio buddies to make it more enjoyable to knock out the miles. My running group gets me out of bed very early, but I'm always happy I did.

I don't know that I'd call my Cycling group buddies. They are all jerks and my entire purpose in life is to not let them ditch me too early into the ride.

Motivation is where you find it!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I decided that instead of taking money from my friend for my old computer parts, I traded it for some fishing gear. So I went fishing, caught 3 "common roaches", and 8 perch, it could've been a couple more but I didn't hook 'em proper so they tore off. They weren't the biggest really, only 3 of them that was worth keeping, but as I remembered not having a proper fillet knife I tossed them back in. Still, was a real nice morning!

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On a whole 'nother less pleasant note. I've got a herniated disc in my neck and a strained muscle in my right arm, my physical therapist told me to not sit by a computer or do too much heavy labour with my right arm, which is exactly what all my current work details entail. I'm stuck behind a desk for 4 ****ing weeks, and I haven't had a proper break for more than 30 seconds the past few hours. I couldn't get put on sick leave tho', noooo... -.-

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

14 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

On a whole 'nother less pleasant note. I've got a herniated disc in my neck and a strained muscle in my right arm, my physical therapist told me to not sit by a computer or do too much heavy labour with my right arm, which is exactly what all my current work details entail. I'm stuck behind a desk for 4 ****ing weeks, and I haven't had a proper break for more than 30 seconds the past few hours. I couldn't get put on sick leave tho', noooo... -.-

What was the initial cause of your neck and arm issues ?

John Milton 

24 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What was the initial cause of your neck and arm issues ?

Work.

Rusty legs on a link that ****ed me up, was going to pull out the support legs when they suddenly got stuck, and then I had a massive bruise on the upper arm. Bruise is long gone, but I've got some massive pains. The neck got messed up from misjudging the distance when reversing some trailer or such. Steel and concrete stops against steel and I get an unexpected headbang session, do that over a few years time. I think.  🤔

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

Get a standing desk, the one that can raise up. I've been thinking about getting one for a while. Other than that you have my commiseration...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Get a standing desk, the one that can raise up. I've been thinking about getting one for a while. Other than that you have my commiseration...

We used to have one here, but they removed it in favour of low wooden desks that are 5 cms above knee height. So yeah, I'm looking down at the screen, eye height is about 25cms higher...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

We used to have one here, but they removed it in favour of low wooden desks that are 5 cms above knee height. So yeah, I'm looking down at the screen, eye height is about 25cms higher...

I used to just put a chair on a desk and put my computer on the chair to mimic a standing desk. Of course that is a lot easier to do with a laptop, so it might not work for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

I used to just put a chair on a desk and put my computer on the chair to mimic a standing desk. Of course that is a lot easier to do with a laptop, so it might not work for you.

I think that might actually exacerbate the problem, I don't think the chair is high enough, or the desk deep enough to fit a chair, my wrists barely fit on the desk while the keyboard can't go further in because it's resting on the foot of the display that is shoved to the windowsill.

Atleast I had time to get up and walk ten laps around the gatehouse, that's atleast 200 metres. That has to count for a daily walk, right?

Not to mention that I can't see the drivers 😂

Can we, like, fix the, uhm, spelling mistake in the title? It's Man as in mankind, not men... something something culture wars something. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

21 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

for cardio we don't need "buddies" and is unlikely we would find anybody willing to join us pre 6:00am for our morning rides. current is too hot to go any later, and by mid august the air quality is gonna force us indoors to stationary bike and rowing machine. long 'bout early-mid november, when the air clears a bit, chances are the rains has started and a cycling schedule becomes weather dependent. january and february is coldish and windy. we look ridiculous in our thermal gear, but riding in winter is not unpleasant if you dress appropriate, with special attention to fingers and ears and nose. nevertheless need to go early as inevitably the winds pick up as the sun gets higher in the sky. honest, march thru june is fantastic for cycling, but the rest o' the year requires a bit o' intestinal fortitude, and even during spring, am ordinary riding at times few buddies would voluntarily join. 

we live in a curious community with retirees and a few serious hardcore athletes. greg lemond once lived 'bout 1000 metres distance from where we live today. +10 years past our community were kinda an ideal location for a cyclist as we are at the base o' the foothills and you can find flat or incline or anything in-between. increased summer heat and +3 months o' predictable dangerous air quality due to now yearly wildfire problem has had a less than positive impact. even so, we got a surprising number o' winter and summer sport olympians living not far from Gromnir... and we would be nothing but dead weight if we tried to join that select group. got no illusions 'bout our abilities compared to international level athletes.

the other significant group o' folks in our community is the people who believe playing 18 holes via a golfcart counts as cardio. 

sure, there is a few people who are not olympians or golfers but most o' them is gainful employed and have lives to live. 

now the gym and weights is different. have always preferred working out with somebody who could spot us. not need a cheerleader, but work out with somebody makes less likely we will take off a few too many days. heck, work out with somebody makes less likely we take off a set. no doubt is same for cardio. regardless, we much prefer to have somebody reliable at hand when am doing squats, military press and bench. have never once required a spotter when doing cardio.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

54 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Figures. Sigh. That's... what?

Okay then, I just googled that, and what the hell, Lord of the Ring script?

22 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

What's motivation ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

What's motivation ?

The thing that people supposedly have that makes them do things out of an inner drive, instead of as an reaction to external stimuli. I always though that's a fairy tale like Santa or the Easter Bunny. :p

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

The thing that people supposedly have that makes them do things out of an inner drive, instead of as an reaction to external stimuli. I always though that's a fairy tale like Santa or the Easter Bunny. :p

Oh ok. So basically just people IM'ing with stuff they need me to do.   I thought I'd be more like Michael Bolton, but I think I'm going to end up like Peter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

37 minutes ago, Malcador said:

What's motivation ?

To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man